Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:38:21 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Springs and new wheels at the same time?  (Read 11236 times)
mtgtopdeck
Fucking Newb

Top Deck

Reputation Power: 1
mtgtopdeck pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »

I'm looking at purchasing springs for my 05 coupe and I figured that it would be smart to purchase new wheels/rims at the same time.

My current tires are very close to the end of there life. (OEM / 57,000 miles)

Would it be a good idea to get them both installed at the same time? or would it not make much of a difference if I purchased the springs now then the wheels later?

I'm looking at the eibach pro-kit springs. I like the idea of a lifetime warranty.
I want 18 inch rims and after looking through hundreds and hundreds of styles I've decided I like these ones:

I'm still under-educated on tires. I've always liked the Kuhmo brand and so I am looking at "Ecsta ASX KU21"
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »

I would swap out the shocks and struts while you dropping it too then go for wheels

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:49:03 PM »

You'll be fine if you swap your springs, but Clemente is right.  It would be wise to swap springs and shocks at the same time.  Your shocks will end up wearing out a lot faster after you lower your car since they are not intended for a lowered ride height.  You also want to remember to get a rear camber kit.  No matter what, you must use a rear camber kit if you don't want to keep replacing tires because of excessive camber wear.  

Based on my personal experience and opinion, I would pass on the Kumho's.  I had a few sets of Kumho's and wasn't impressed.

Have you done any research on this topic before posting this thread?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
mtgtopdeck
Fucking Newb

Top Deck

mtgtopdeck pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »

You'll be fine if you swap your springs, but Clemente is right.  It would be wise to swap springs and shocks at the same time.  Your shocks will end up wearing out a lot faster after you lower your car since they are not intended for a lowered ride height.  You also want to remember to get a rear camber kit.  No matter what, you must use a rear camber kit if you don't want to keep replacing tires because of excessive camber wear. 

Based on my personal experience and opinion, I would pass on the Kumho's.  I had a few sets of Kumho's and wasn't impressed.

Have you done any research on this topic before posting this thread?

All I've been doing for the past week of unemployed life is researching all about my car and automotive everything in general.
It can be hard to find accurate non-opinionated information about specific parts and products but Ive been trying.
I'm a young guy (22) out of college doing freelance 3d graphic design for a living.
So honestly, and obviously, I am lacking a lot of technical knowledge about cars simply from lack of experience.

I really appreciate the help.
mtgtopdeck
Fucking Newb

Top Deck

mtgtopdeck pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:11:21 AM »

Spent the last 7 hours reading all about my suspension and more about tires.

Here's what I'm looking at right now

Suspension:
x2 Ingalls SmartArm™ Adjustable Link, Camber/Toe, Rubber Bushings
x1 Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Coil Springs 4044.140
x2 Tokico Rear Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly HP
x2 Tokico Front Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly HP

Wheels + Tires:
x4 Sport Edition F10 Machined 1 Piece Cast Aluminum Rims | 18" | +50mm offset | 23lbs
x4 Pirelli PZero Nero All Season | 215/45R18 | load index 93 | speed rating W

I think I should continue looking for rims. 50mm offset only brings the wheels out 0.4" which wont be anywhere near flush. The ones I posted are manufactured by Kosei Aluminum Co. which only started making wheels in 2006 so I'm a little bit reluctant in trusting their wheels
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:28:22 AM by mtgtopdeck » Logged
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:15:06 AM »

Seems like a decent set up so far.  Do you live in an area that gets snow?  I'd make one suggestion if you do.  Spend the money on summer tires for your rims and then get snow tires for your oem wheels.  All season tires are a compromise for both weather conditions and don't excel in either condition.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »

Kumho tires have treated me very well petsonally
jdmaccord

Reputation Power: 7
jdmaccord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 11:36:38 AM »

Your wheel offset is fine. You shouldn't experience any rub. Dido on the Kumho, I was buying new tires like every 6 months.
fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »

what's the wheel width?

-- Charles --

2005 Honda Accord 2.4L sedan
2011 Subaru STi sedan
mtgtopdeck
Fucking Newb

Top Deck

mtgtopdeck pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:09:41 PM »

what's the wheel width?

8"
Seems like a decent set up so far.  Do you live in an area that gets snow?  I'd make one suggestion if you do.  Spend the money on summer tires for your rims and then get snow tires for your oem wheels.  All season tires are a compromise for both weather conditions and don't excel in either condition.

That's a great idea!
I live in the center of silicon valley santa clara california. It's basically sunny 85% of the year with the other 15% being light-medium rain

I've decided on one of these two Tires:
x4 Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
x4 General Tire Exclaim UHP (most likely these ones because of the treadware)

I'm still not sure on rims. It's a pain in the ass trying to find rims that aren't too flashy and compliment the car's style.

These are my favorites so far (lowered the car in photoshop):

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:17:11 PM by mtgtopdeck » Logged
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »

I'm not a fan... For something of similar cost, and better construction have you considered any of the OEM options... Just two quick photos but, TL Aspec, HFP, and TL S wheels all look good and are a nice fit.

fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »

+50 offset on 19x8" is ok, but it will be very difficult to fit a BBK later on.  Wink

-- Charles --

2011 Subaru STi sedan
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »

That depends on the spoke design.  Width and offset aren't the only factors that determine if a wheel will clear a BBK.

Tim
mtgtopdeck
Fucking Newb

Top Deck

mtgtopdeck pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 12:19:53 AM »

I'm not a fan... For something of similar cost, and better construction have you considered any of the OEM options... Just two quick photos but, TL Aspec, HFP, and TL S wheels all look good and are a nice fit.
[img]http://www.keenanhondaparts.com/catalog/ACCOR08152_med.jpg[img]
[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/12546fn.jpg[img]

The HFP 19" rims are 1,300 a set so I will need to think long and hard before making that decision.

+50 offset on 19x8" is ok, but it will be very difficult to fit a BBK later on.  Wink
That depends on the spoke design.  Width and offset aren't the only factors that determine if a wheel will clear a BBK.

I don't have plans for a new brake system. Assuming that's what you are talking about. (no idea what BBK refers to other than the company)
fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 02:48:55 AM »

BBK= big brake kit

That depends on the spoke design.  Width and offset aren't the only factors that determine if a wheel will clear a BBK.

yeah you're right. experienced it first hand with my wheels. +38 offset and wont clear BBK. bought new set with +45 and clears it with some more space  Smiley

-- Charles --

2011 Subaru STi sedan
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012