Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 03:07:26 PM
Poll
Question: Who hates cell companies' bullshit?
Me - 5 (33.3%)
This guy! - 7 (46.7%)
Who's got two thumbs? - 3 (20%)
I'm indifferent but they still suck - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 145 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell Phone Discussion  (Read 455131 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1395 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:52 AM »

It worked somewhat okay at first.  The odd text message issue I had was annoying.  I started getting annoyed when I couldn't update the SW on the phone, so I replaced it.  Then in August, they pushed a SW update to my phone and it completely ruined it.  The keyboard worked like shit and the phone was awful and cumbersome to use.  At the end, I hated using it.  Right now, there are only one thing I dislike about my current phone.  I think it's an app based problem instead of being phone related though.  When I used Google Latitude on my Android phone, I was able to pull up my saved maps that I created in Google Maps.  On this phone, I can't pull up those maps.  Kinda sucks.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »

It worked somewhat okay at first.  The odd text message issue I had was annoying.  I started getting annoyed when I couldn't update the SW on the phone, so I replaced it.  Then in August, they pushed a SW update to my phone and it completely ruined it.  The keyboard worked like shit and the phone was awful and cumbersome to use.  At the end, I hated using it.  Right now, there are only one thing I dislike about my current phone.  I think it's an app based problem instead of being phone related though.  When I used Google Latitude on my Android phone, I was able to pull up my saved maps that I created in Google Maps.  On this phone, I can't pull up those maps.  Kinda sucks.
The text message issue was something that plagued most Android phones.  I think it got fixed in later builds, but since manufacturers/carriers skin a previous build, sometimes those bugs stick around.

As for the SW update ruining the phone, that can happen.  It's one of the reason I got a Nexus device, because the updates come directly from Google, no need to worry about the carrier or the manufacturer screwing something up.

As for Google Latitude, it could be an app problem, but I wouldn't doubt that it may have something to do with Apple not liking anyone else, especially Google, so they limit functionality on competitor's products, especially if they can't buy them out like they did with Siri.

- Mark
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 10, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »

Thats why i stay rooting these phones is the only way i get those bugs fixed quick

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 10, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »

Exactly. I'm getting ready to do just that and throw CM7 on it.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1399 on: January 10, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »

I went back to a stock based ROM awhile ago, but i just couldn't handle the instability, so I flashed back to CM7. No regrets. I do get a lot worse battery life (only the case for my phone) but CM7 runs so well.

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1400 on: January 10, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »

The text message issue was something that plagued most Android phones.  I think it got fixed in later builds, but since manufacturers/carriers skin a previous build, sometimes those bugs stick around.

I knew it was an Android issue, which really turned me off to the whole Android format. 

As for the SW update ruining the phone, that can happen.  It's one of the reason I got a Nexus device, because the updates come directly from Google, no need to worry about the carrier or the manufacturer screwing something up.

Yeah, when Verizon pushed that SW update it just fucked it all up.  I get that the Android format is customizable, but it's also not that stable.  I really didn't want to have to root the phone just so it would work better.

As for Google Latitude, it could be an app problem, but I wouldn't doubt that it may have something to do with Apple not liking anyone else, especially Google, so they limit functionality on competitor's products, especially if they can't buy them out like they did with Siri.

I'm guessing that it's Apple's fault.  They're douchebags too.  You'd think they'd have their own map program instead of putting Google maps on their devices.  Lazy fucks can't even get it right.   Wink

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 10, 2012, 10:44:53 PM »

Nope. That's why they bought Siri and claim they dev'd it. Fuck apple. I much prefer open source.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 10, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »

I get that the Android format is customizable, but it's also not that stable.  I really didn't want to have to root the phone just so it would work better.

AOSP ROMs are pretty stable.  The main difference between AOSP ROMs and carrier ROMs is that AOSP will always be up to date; they will be Google's latest and greatest.  Carrier ROMs are typically an older build.  For example, Google will release 4.0.  The AOSP ROM could be version 4.0.3, which will contain bug fixes but Motorola/Samsung/HTC/whoever will more than likely build their ROM off version 4.0.

- Mark
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 11, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »

Also true. Carrier ROMS are straight dookie. I've had my new phone 24 hours and already working on setting it up for success. Want to hear something funny about ATT's latest update for it? Buggy as all hell and by the time ATT releases ICS for it, Google will be cooking up something even sicker.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1404 on: January 11, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »

My gripe with Apple is that they claim to be this cutting edge technology company yet the Iphone is always 3 steps behind everything else.
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »

That's because they're perfectionists.  They don't put out anything unless it stands up to their standards.

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:26 AM »

LoL! My Iphone4 is already broke only a year old never dropped or abused :/ the switch for vibrate mode / ringer is broke on vibrate, the raise volume button doesn't work, but the lower volume does. Although sometimes my ringer will work, other times it won't. My home button is finicky as fuck I'm upgrading next year probably to an android phone...or maybe the iPhone5...but it would have to be pretty amazing aha.
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 11, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »

Did you get the applecare with your phone?  I went through 4 iphone 3gs but they always replaced them free of charge. 

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 11, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »

Im not too sure...hmmm I'll have to check when I get home. Its a love hate relationship with this phone right now ahaha
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1409 on: January 11, 2012, 10:44:57 AM »

My gripe with Apple is that they claim to be this cutting edge technology company yet the Iphone is always 3 steps behind everything else.

I totally agree with this.  They are definitely behind the times when it comes to the latest and greatest with phone technology.  To Nelson's point, I think that's why Apple's phones are a little bit more reliable.  We've all seen it happen when a manufacturer rushes to get their "new moar better than their last phone" out in the market, and then it turns out to be a huge pile of shit.  I've had more than one phone with that problem.  That's why I didn't jump on the "I have to get the newest iPhone because it's newer" bandwagon.  The iFail 4s really didn't bring much to the table, so it was easy to pass on.

Tim
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 145 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012