Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:28:24 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mild Streetable California Daily Driver  (Read 5319 times)
AccordProtector
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
AccordProtector pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010, 03:09:45 AM »

Looking to change a few internals and get a little more power out of my daily grocery getter/commuter.

1. Brian Crower Stage 3 Camshafts             #BC0052
2. Brian Crower Spring and Retainers           #BC0050
3. Hondata K-Pro ECU for tunability

I'm currently running all boltons: TSX IM, hondata gasket, dc header, fujita intake, custom exhaust (i'm the tl exhaust guy from gen7), unorthodox full pulley kit and i think thats it. its a 2003 2.4l automatic for reference.

what camgear should i get to match up with this stuff?
and
what is your opinion of this stuff based on the fact that i commute about 60miles daily and would like a little more uph. Need some help from the motor heads. My buddy owns a speedshop so labor will be @ no cost to me, just parts.

Thanks again in advance.
Knocturnal84

Reputation Power: 4
Knocturnal84 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:28:20 AM »

Well i have the BrianCrower stage2 and valve-train set up with all the same bolt ons as you and more. I must say that the car feels a lot different. My car is running on the F/IC-8 which will be replaced with the Hondata Set up. I made 163whp on my initial Set up but i have upgraded more so i need to re-tune. Provability i would say is more spirited now. I could feel my vtec a lot better. After 3000rpm the car wants to really go all the way to 5000rpm

I went with the DUAL SPRING/TITANIUM RETAINER/SPRING SEAT KIT Part #: BC0040 with my set up

Stage3 will be very different in drivability. As for the cam gear i was told it would not do anything but i believe the only one you could change is the Exhaust cam with one from skunk2

All in all when i swap the motor out i will be going placing another set of BrianCrower cams in cause i love it. I really want to see how it will be to have them coupled with performance vtec.

Also contact them about valve clearance so you don't get that crazy ticking that i had for a while. I am in the process of making a write up for checking and adjusting valve clearance

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
FLCM #6 Tallahassee Subsquad Leader
#6 on the PHI line of the Seshait Chapter of Alpha Rho Chi
AccordProtector
Fucking Newb

AccordProtector pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:28:51 PM »

If stage 2 crower camashafts or evene skunk2 camshafts meant a little less power but better daily driveability I'd be more inclined to purchase them. And was I correct on the exhaust half of the camgear?
Knocturnal84

Reputation Power: 4
Knocturnal84 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:58:10 AM »

yeah that one you could change but i dont know what kinda gains you will get from it.

I was steered towards not buying them but you could be the first to install them and degree it properly

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
FLCM #6 Tallahassee Subsquad Leader
#6 on the PHI line of the Seshait Chapter of Alpha Rho Chi
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 08:38:03 AM »

I have to agree with Sean about the cams.  Stage 3 cams will probably not have very good manners on the street.  I'd consider a Stage 2 cam.  I haven't done much research on the K24A4's and how much you can adjust the intake cam.  Here's what I do know though.  The K24A2 has a 25º cam gear, but you can swap it out for the 50º K20A2 cam gear or have the 25º cam gear machined to 45º of adjustment.  Just make sure you don't go past 45º or you'll have valve to piston contact.  Do a little research around k20a.org where they have more information on engine building.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
AccordProtector
Fucking Newb

AccordProtector pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »

ok, duly noted. i'll look into it. i'm just back and forth between the cadillac and the honda
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »

I think Chris has skunk2 cams. He can probably help you get a deal on them. something around 250-350? As for the accord vtc it is 25 degrees. Anything pass that and you will have valve to piston contact. The reason being that the k24a4 has really weird shape pistons. If I can find that post on k20a ill post it up for you. I am not sure about the exhaust side since the accord doesn't have vtec or vtc on the exhaust end. So probably cam gears will help out on the exhaust side *don't quote me*.

here a link about the VTC system

http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 12:18:20 AM »

What kind of power are you looking to make and what kind of build did you want (n/a, turbo, sc)?  I'd recommend that you set a power goal, figure out what your power adder will be, and then build to your goal.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
msedacca

msedacca pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »

If you're using an EMS like Kpro it'll stop you out at 25 degrees of cam angle anyways, its just a little flat line, even if i put in a million degrees. I don't have a chart anymore because that blew up two laptops ago, but I do remember street tuning it and it would just flatline at 25 degrees.

I think its a cool idea, but waste of gas/money. If you're going to put stage2 cams, your buddy owns a speed shop, just go turbo and spend the money/time now.

Sex should be like driving a honda....
slow, obnoxious, and loud enough for everyone to hear.
I'm a huge newb with cars, but I just happen to have a turbo.
turbHO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012