Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:55:27 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: key fob battery?  (Read 9988 times)
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:47:48 PM »

I was wondering if it's possible to change the battery on the key fob or if it is even worth it compared to purchasing a new one...had my car (and keys) for about 4 years now, and it seems like both keys' range has gone to complete shit, especially over the last year

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:51:10 PM »

I heard that the factory puts loctite on the screw, so you're basically screwed (no pun intended) if you strip the head. :P

alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:59:50 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff"
I heard that the factory puts loctite on the screw, so you're basically screwed (no pun intended) if you strip the head. :P
What?  I'm pretty sure replacing the key fob battery was in the owner's manual..

- Mark
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »

I'm just going off what I heard. I could be completely wrong. I found the page on how to replace it, though. Page 83 of my 2005 owner's manual.

To replace the battery: (Battery type: CR1616)
1. Remove the screw at the base of the transmitter with a small Philips-head screwdriver.

2. Separate the transmitter by prying its middle seam with your fingernail.

3. Inside the transmitter, separate the inner cover from the keypad by releasing the two tabs on the cover.

4. Remove the old battery from the back of the inner cover, and note the polarity. Make sure the polarity of the new battery is the same (+ side facing down), then insert it into the back of the cover.

5. Install the parts in reverse order.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »

Yay for reading the fucking owners manual!! :thumbup:

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:04:39 PM »

You can replace the battery. I opened mine up once just to see the insides lol.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »

Hahaha.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 10:44:16 PM »

I can take that particular phrase and run in so many directions with it.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
mnkyman

mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:27:45 PM »

thanks...kinda also wanted to discuss if this is a problem with others...if changing the battery actually helped with key fob range...

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »

I'm tempted to change out the battery on mine as well. The car is 5 years old now, and I've been using the same key fob with the original battery ever since. The range is complete shit compared to my friends' cars. I have to be standing about 3-4 feet away from the car in order for the key fob to work.

Edit: haha I just noticed that we both used "complete shit" to describe the range of our key fobs.  :P

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »

I should test mine.  I haven't used my stock key fob to unlock my doors in at least 5 years.

Tim
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »

My range is good. I can stand at my front door and lock the car 30 yards across the street.
mnkyman

mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »

just wondering if anyone knew the exact battery type? I was going to purchase some before opening up the keys and i'm not within the same city as my car/manual (but have my key with me lol) so I can't just look it up Sad

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »

when i swap mines out i used  CR1616  type battery's like stated above but i really don't used they key fob much since i use my aftermarket alarm remote to lock and unlock but they seem to last forever
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:19:28 PM by cna » Logged

mnkyman

mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

oh didn't see it above, thanks! Ya mine's not dead yet, but the range on my key fob has gone down to ~3 feet, so i figured i change it and see if that helps

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012