Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:47:06 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend caliper alternative?  (Read 7720 times)
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »

Thought you guys would be interested in seeing this if you haven't already.
http://driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45355

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »

I have seen that but, I would still use legend calipers because if you want to switch back to stock you can't with the CRV method.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:59:27 PM »

Interesting.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »

How long do you think it will be until brake manufacturers stop making the 95 Legend rotors and pads? Just wondering, because that's 15 years ago. You'd think these companies would stop at one point or another. This does look like a viable alternative though, except for what Mike said.

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »

Well, 15 years isn't a long time when you think about it.  Our society hasn't made things that disposable yet.  You'd be surprised how many cars use the same rotors and pads.  I would doubt you'd be unable to find remanufactured calipers.  I think that OP of that thread or the parts store was just too fucking lazy to try and find them.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

Reputation Power: 11
sherker55 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »

Someone add this who is a member over there:

GS calipers are readily available as remanufactured units...Rock auto is a great source for them http://www.rockauto.com  (best prices & $12 core charge!  when I bought mine)
The GS calipers can also be used with the larger rotors like the Accord Coupe or TSX.  But the brackets will need to match the rotors, autozone had Coupe brackets.
Set up example: GS calipers & Pads, Coupe Brackets & Rotors

Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 01:09:22 AM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
I have seen that but, I would still use legend calipers because if you want to switch back to stock you can't with the CRV method.
Not necessarily. The only modification he mad to the stock Accord setup was enlarge the mounting holes slightly. The machining was done on the CR-V mounting brackets. The plus to running the CR-V calipers is that you don't have to flip the calipers like you would the Legend calipers.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »

Quote from: "CrackerTeg"
Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Not necessarily. The only modification he mad to the stock Accord setup was enlarge the mounting holes slightly. The machining was done on the CR-V mounting brackets. The plus to running the CR-V calipers is that you don't have to flip the calipers like you would the Legend calipers.

So that part where you have to drill out the mounting tabs wouldn't effect anything Z? Hmmmmmmm it seems to me that would have some problems when trying to go back to accord equipment.

Quote from: "Jeff"
How long do you think it will be until brake manufacturers stop making the 95 Legend rotors and pads? Just wondering, because that's 15 years ago. You'd think these companies would stop at one point or another. This does look like a viable alternative though, except for what Mike said.

This swap has been done on a lot of cars... Accords are only the beginning of the list companies are not going to stop producing parts if they are still selling them.
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 09:17:46 AM »

Mike, I think that the brackets are drilled at the where they meet/connect to the calipers, and also the brackets are machined...I don't think he drilled the actual mounts on the the wheel hub.  

Another plus is the caliper pistons look like they are the same size compared to the GS which has the leading piston that is smaller (when installed on the GS), and when it is turned around to accomodate the accord, the leading piston is the larger one...this has been debated before, but I haven't noticed any eneven wearing or negative affects of having the larger piston leading.

Boats 'N' Ho's

sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 09:20:50 AM »

Quote from: "sherker55"
Mike, I think that the brackets are drilled at the where they meet/connect to the calipers, and also the brackets are machined...I don't think he drilled the actual mounts on the the wheel hub.  

Another plus is the caliper pistons look like they are the same size compared to the GS which has the leading piston that is smaller (when installed on the GS), and when it is turned around to accomodate the accord, the leading piston is the larger one...this has been debated before, but I haven't noticed any eneven wearing or negative affects of having the larger piston leading.

**EDIT** I stand corrected, I just looked at the thread again, and he is drilling the mounts on the hub...MIKE is right!

Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »

Considering the difference between the two, the Legend calipers are the better alternative.  Here's why.  With the CR-V calipers, you have to machine the brackets and enlarge the mounting holes.  While most people have a drill and can buy a larger drill bit to enlarge the holes, I only know one person on here that has the machining tools to machine the brackets.  That means you're going to be paying some machine shop to machine the brackets for you.  With the Legend calipers, you swap the sides.  No machining, no drilling, no extra cost.  Which do you think is going to be less of a pain in the ass?

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »

True but like Mark said, there's been debate over the uneven piston size on the Legend calipers being flipped the way everyone that has used them has done. Frankly, if I'm upgrading to whichever setup, I really have no intention of reverting to the crappy stock setup. Now, if I go to an aftermarket setup, then I most certainly wouldn't go to that trouble since I could still make money on the aftermarket setup and revert to stock.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »

The debate about flipping the calipers is fucking stupid. Anyone who has installed them will tell you that they are issue free, and the stopping power is a million times better than stock. Just admit you were wrong and we can all forget it ever happened. Smiley
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »

Fuck that. How's the bleeding of the calipers working out for ya?

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »

Pretty easily you just put an oil pan under them and let it squirt in the pan.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012