Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:35:06 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive brake fade, sort of?  (Read 2763 times)
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »

I've noticed that only when school is done for the day and I'm driving out of the parking lot, I nearly have to slam on the brake pedal just to get the car to stop, like when the traffic gets held up, or someone starts backing out of their parking spot. Once driving for about 20-30 minutes, it goes away, and the brakes work fine. It doesn't seem to happen unless I've ran the car for a bit, and then park it for extended periods of time. Another thing to note is that the car sits out in the hot sun for 7 hours during school, so I'm not sure if that has an affect on anything. Any Ideas?

A while ago I got Akebono ProACT pads on the rears and reused the OEM rotors, and everything in the front is still OEM. I've got 50,3xx miles at the moment. The front pads have roughly 3/16" to 1/4" thickness left (i eyeballed it with the outside pad).

NWINNIE34

Reputation Power: 6
NWINNIE34 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »

check out your inside pads..... i just found out that my outter pad has like 90% left, however my inner pad has less than 10% left and is making a screetching sound from the sensor on the brake pad itself

my caliper is getting caught up on the pins and isnt sliding properly which is causing only one of my pads to catch in the back right

figured i would throw that out there....def check inner pads as well

2006 PWP TSX, 6Spd, Nav, Ebony Interior

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »

Alright, I finally checked the inner pads like you said. It was really hard to measure accurately, but I got a fairly decent estimate.

Outside rotor: .280 in
Outside pad: .300 in
Inside rotor: .315 in
Inside pad: .190 in

It definitely looks like the inside pads wear a lot more than the outside. What's the recommend thickness to change them at? How does everything else look?

NWINNIE34

Reputation Power: 6
NWINNIE34 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:54:59 PM »

im in the same boat....might try replacing my pads tonight

there may be a chance that your caliper isnt sliding properly and is getting caught up on the slide pin
since only one of your brake pads is mobile.... and the other one just sits on the inside of your rotor.... if your caliper doesnt slide properly it will wear down your inner pad more than your outter pad
i have a terrible sqeeling noise but thats because of the sensor pins touching on my oem TSX pads

2006 PWP TSX, 6Spd, Nav, Ebony Interior

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

neoryan7

Reputation Power: 1
neoryan7 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »

Have you checked your master cylinder fluid?
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »

Well, I've gotten all new brakes since I've posted this thread. I went with the GS caliper swap, Akebono ProACT pads, and Centric rotors all around.

However, I'm still working out some kinks with my new brake setup, and I believe it's brake-fluid related. I'm going to pick up a bottle of brake fluid tomorrow maybe and top the master cylinder off. I just recently had the fluid replaced a couple months ago at a shop, so the fluid is still pretty new. I'm going to pick up whatever fluid they used. The thing is, when I did the swap, I lost some brake fluid when swapping calipers and bleeding and whatnot (and accidentally knocking over the bottle of bled fluid all over the garage floor... cursing quickly ensued afterward). However, there was still enough fluid in the master cylinder to keep air from getting in. Either way, I'm going to top it off and see what happens from there. I lost maybe 1/4" of fluid. I'm also going to bleed the brakes once more.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012