Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:28 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Economy Thread  (Read 64622 times)
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2013, 08:44:55 AM »

I get 22. Its my driving
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »

Right now I'm getting about 25mpg with 50% city / 50% highway driving. It was a lot worse before, on average around 20-21, but it seemed to have improved after I put some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas tank and engine oil a few times. You could give that a shot.

olecram39

Reputation Power: 3
olecram39 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »

I mentioned tires because it could be the tire design causing it, not the age.  Just because they're new, doesn't mean they're good.  Some performance tires will hurt fuel economy.  Just throwing that one out there.

Even when I was making about 350 hp with my stock k24a2 and m62 supercharger, I still got about 30-32 mpg on 93 octane pump gas on the freeway.  Hell, even with my 400 hp built motor using the same supercharger I averaged about 20-22 mpg on E85 on the freeway.

That doesn't make sense then. There has to be something wrong. I used to get good gas mileage. It all started with the O2 Sensor, i got a CEL for the bank 1 sensor 2 but i kept driving the car like that because it was just the O2 sensor so didn't pay much attention to it, then all of the sudden this horrible gas mileage started happening so i decided to go ahead and change the O2 Sensor, but now the O2 sensor is brand new and im still getting horrible gas mileage. Did i mess something up by driving with a bad O2 Sensor? That clogged cat you mentioned got me thinking Tim.   

Right now I'm getting about 25mpg with 50% city / 50% highway driving. It was a lot worse before, on average around 20-21, but it seemed to have improved after I put some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas tank and engine oil a few times. You could give that a shot.

I probably will, and see if it helps?
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2013, 06:52:22 PM »

Bad sensor readings creating bad signals causing the car to run lean or rich could clog the cat.
olecram39

olecram39 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »

I see, and how can i test for a clogged cat?
olecram39

olecram39 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »

Would taking off the Cat and gutting it, fix the clogged issue? Basically turning it into a test pipe?
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2013, 10:32:15 PM »

Bad sensor readings creating bad signals causing the car to run lean or rich could clog the cat.

Truth

Would taking off the Cat and gutting it, fix the clogged issue? Basically turning it into a test pipe?

Sure, go for it.  You can also have the flanges cut and welded on a pipe if you want.  That will reduce turbulence in your exhaust system.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »

Can't forget the defoulers for that rear o2 sensor.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
olecram39

olecram39 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2013, 01:39:04 AM »

Thanks Tim. I will gut the catalytic converter for now, to see if my MPGs go up again. And when i take the step towards the header and exhaust ill look into the flange thing 

Z, excuse the ignorance but why would i need a defouler?
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2013, 01:51:10 AM »

The purpose of your O2 sensor (or secondary O2 sensor) is to measure the efficiency of your cat.  Without a cat, you'll probably get a P0420 code.  The defouler moves the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream so you don't get that code.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
olecram39

olecram39 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2013, 02:26:54 AM »

Got it. Now my questions is, if the o2 sensor is out of the way wouldn't that bring me back to square one? Where the o2 sensor sends a bad reading to the ecu causing a bad fuel mixture and hurting gas milage again?

Edit: I just found the answer. The answer is NO, because by moving the o2 sensor out of the direct flow allows SOME gases to be read not all, which tricks the ECU into thinking that there is some resistance from what would be a catalytic converter which in reality is non existent.  

Thank you sir.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:46:54 AM by olecram39 » Logged
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »

Right.  Gutting your cat, running a test pipe or even a high flow cat will make your ECU think that your cat is not working efficiently and you'll get the P0420 "low catalyst efficiency" code.  By using the fouler, you move the sensor out of the direct stream of exhaust flow and it tricks it to thinking you're cat is working.

Tim
olecram39

olecram39 pfffft.

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »

I will buy the defouler and tackle this on Tuesday since I have two exams tomorrow. I will report back then. Thank you so much Tim.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

How do you even gut a cat?

olecram39

olecram39 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »

With a hammer and a metal pipe or something similar. Just break all the ceramic stuff thats in there and take it out in pieces.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012