Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:01:54 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Only Header Thread You Should Ever Post In  (Read 82937 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »

You'll probably end up replacing the flex pipe. Just because its an aftermarket header, that doesn't mean that you'll get performance gains over your stock exhaust manifold. These cheap shit Chinese knock offs may be so flawed in their design, that you could lose power.

If you want to buy it just to say you have a header, be my guest. Let us know how it works out.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
olecram39

Reputation Power: 3
olecram39 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »

Nah i dont want it for that, i want a header that will actually help squeeze out a little power out of the four banger. Judging by the pictures the design looks almost identical to the DC header. You might be right about the Chinese knock off though so which one do you recommend Tim, the J2 or OBX? DC is way out of my budget.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »

I couldn't tell you. I've never used either. Like I said, knock offs are just that. They copy the look without the research and development, while compromising the quality of manufacturing and materials. Again, you may lose power with this header. Only way to find out is to dyno before and after install.

A properly designed header will make power on a n/a motor. Unfortunately, one of them costs a lot more than a DC header. If it were me, I would leave the stock exhaust manifold on.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
HEcreated487

Reputation Power: 7
HEcreated487 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »

Stock FTW!  Cause I can't afford an expensive Header with the proper R&D. Cheesy

And, cause Tim said so. LOL.

M!©h@3L ¤ ¤ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¤ ¤
si2accord
Fucking Newb

I love the K series

Reputation Power: 1
si2accord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »

Should i just get a testpipe for my 05 accord 5speed with stock exhaust or Dc header w/ or without testpipe. Do not plan on installing exhaust for awhile. Any feedback most appreaciated

Currently have Custom SRI
Ordered: TSX IM,TBS,

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:36:59 PM by si2accord » Logged

Current: 05 Accord 4dr k24 VitTuned
Past: 07 Civic Si 4dr VitTuned 220whp
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2013, 10:37:24 PM »

You can run without a cat if you want, but you'll need an O2 extender so you don't get a P0420 code for "low catalyst efficiency". Another consideration to make is if the state you live in has emissions inspections. If you're never planning on upgrading your exhaust, then just save your pennies and get something else. There's no sense in upgrading your header and getting rid of your cat if you're going to keep the bottleneck of your stock exhaust. K series motors respond well to 3" exhausts. If you need something quiet, then don't go any smaller than 2.5".

Tim
olecram39

Reputation Power: 3
olecram39 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »

Over the winter break i installed a used DC Header i got for a good deal. It was missing some gaskets and stuff but i was able to find what i needed. I didnt buy an O2 sensor extender cable to make it reach instead i just cut the wires and used my old Secondary O2 sensor that i had replaced a few months back to make the wires longer. I soldered them and shrink wrapped them so everything is legit.

I really wasn't expecting much of a change but to my surprise there was change. Im not sure if it was for the good though. Before the header, when i was going say about 40 mph and i floored it,  the car would do a little jump forward and take off. Now with the header that little jump is gone at 40mph however i noticed that now it does it when i floor it from a lower speed like from a stop up to 20mph. Im guessing this is an increase in low end torque?

The difference in the inlets of the oem and DC Sports header.

Another question i have, Is this normal? This is the Primary O2 sensor, i am getting no CELs about this sensor what it looks fucked up.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »

Yup. That looks pretty fucked up. If you notice a decrease in fuel economy, you'll need to replace it. You should get an O2 extender so you don't have to solder new wires when you need to replace it.

Tim
Pascal

Reputation Power: 4
Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »

My stock flex pipe is leaking pretty bad. So i was thinking about putting some headers instead of a replacement pipe. I read the entire thread ( yeah all of it lol) and seems like dc sports is pretty much the only good option exept the cheap eBay ones. I live in canada so there is a lot of temperature stress from freezing to operation temperature back to freezing. Do you know if the stainless steel one would hold up better to it than the ceramic one. And did the quality of the flex pipe is better on SS than ceramic ? Did the overall flex pipe quality improved since 2009 when every one had problems with it ?

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2014, 10:12:36 PM »

Well, DC was previously owned by AEM.  They are now owned by Pilot.  You know, the company that makes those cheap fog lights that are sold at Auto Zone?  I doubt the quality has improved, even though they say they have addressed it.  The best thing for you to do to make sure that you aren't destroying flex pipes left and right is to be sure that your engine mounts are good.  Excessive engine movement is what destroyed flex pipes for me every 6 months.

If you're really looking for a quality header, get a hold of Stefan over at Advanced Street Performance (ASP).  They make SS and ceramic race headers for a mostly K Series motors and are known as the best header manufacturer in the community.  There's a reason why a lot of the drag guys are running ASP headers.

Tim
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »

Yeah well I did notice some significant engine movement at idle the other day, my mounts might be bad but couldn't figure out if there was only one bad or all of them just were loose from age. I'll check that out more before putting some pricy headers then.
I'll check out over the net about ASP, thanks for the tip !

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2014, 11:40:17 PM »

If you want the best header, get ASP.  If you're not sure about your mounts, just replace them all.  The only one that would suck to replace is the rear mount.  Another option would also be to upgrade to the Innovative mounts.  You probably want to get the 60a durometer.  I have 75a in my car, which makes a bit more power than stock.  I had 85a and they were horribly stiff and my car shook like crazy to the point where it was completely uncomfortable.

Tim
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2014, 11:45:38 PM »

Wooaaah !  Huh? $1249.99 for some headers, that's quite out of my price range, will probably be more the SS DC Ones. On a stock motor, there won't be any difference ( I guess).
For the motor mounts, that's exactly what i had in mind.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »

Maybe you could get Stefan to do a "budget" header if you set up a group buy.  I'd consider something like that if I had a stock motor.  Anyway, quality costs money.  I've learned that if you try and save $$ on a part, it ends up costing more when you have to replace or fix it later on.

Tim
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »

Their "budget" headers (saw it for RSX) are still around 800-900$, wich is still a bit too much for me. I still can get a DC SS for 600$ shipped to canada. ( they are discontinued btw). so my plan will be, get a cheap replacement flex pipe for now (and magnaflow hi-flow cat because it's also leaking there) , put some good mounts on, and them gather money for some DC SS headers while there is still some on ebay that were not sold yet.

Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012