Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:51:04 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flush or shaved door locks  (Read 10397 times)
MTsixspeed

Reputation Power: 2
MTsixspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »

You know, those little knobs that poke up or down on the inside top of the doors. Has anyone done this? I think it looks much cleaner not to see them sticking up at all, so I just removed mine, but the hole is obviously still there.
Ideas, comments....

UPDATE: Project complete 12/11/09
Measure how much of the lock knob sticks up when in locked position, unscrew the locks and remove the grommets, cut the measured amount off the bottom, re-thread the hole, re-install locks and grommets.

Unlocked:

Locked:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:19:28 AM by MTsixspeed » Logged

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »

Cant you cut down the height of the knobs and make it flush with the top of the door when their in the down position? I've always wanted to do this too since they get in the way. Honda engineers, gotta love em.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:02:32 PM »

You can cut them down and get them to sit flush when your doors are locked Chester the child molester style.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »

Yup. I have the Chester Molestor lock knobs in mine. Took me all of 10 minutes with a handy dandy dremel.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
MTsixspeed

MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »

So, cut off the bottom. I had that idea, but I'm concerned about whether they're threaded all the way up because they would need to be. I will try this today.

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »

They're thread a decent way up. Besides, they're plastic so its not like the threaded rod can't re-thread the knobs anyway.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »

I'm just curious, but would that pose as a safety risk by having it flush?

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »

Only if you constantly roll with your locks on and plan on driving into a lake. The same could be said about seat belts in the same situation.

b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »

Quote from: "InFuMoUs"

nah, some cars come like that from the factory.. I've seen jetta's with flush locks..

-brian
mnkyman

mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 12:25:22 AM »

Quote from: "b_beau_09"
Quote from: "InFuMoUs"

nah, some cars come like that from the factory.. I've seen jetta's with flush locks..

ya but with those cars, when you pull the handle in the front seats, it unlocks/opens the door at the same time (it's mechanical, not electrical)

like mentioned above, the downside with cutting ours is that if you somehow lose the electrical system while in the car, you are fucked...i think i remember reading on another forum that someone was doing something in their car and had the doors locked or something along those lines and managed to kill the battery while sitting in the car (i'm not really sure how...), anyways, he ended up crawling out of the trunk

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 08:48:10 AM »

At least we know we can get out of the trunk.  It can be a safety issue though.

Sam, I thought you were dead.  I guess finals are over?  Welcome back!

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
MTsixspeed

MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »

I agree about the safety issues. I thought about all this before I hacked them down yesterday. I thought about how often you'd manually reach and unlock the door because you can't do that anymore. Oh well, I don't drive with the doors locked anyway, but I'm also confident I could get them unlocked manually if I ever had to. What I'd do is remove the plastic grommet that surrounds the lock and that would give enough space for my fingers.

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »

Looks good meng. Welcome to the Chester Molester lock club.

InFuMoUs

InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 08:02:37 PM »

Well thanks for all them responses regarding that fellaz. I always hated getting stabbed in the elbow everytime I try to rest my hand there. Nicely done Chris.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

mnkyman

mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
At least we know we can get out of the trunk.  It can be a safety issue though.

Sam, I thought you were dead.  I guess finals are over?  Welcome back!

lol ya, had my last final last night. Thanks!

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012