Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:06:28 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Slightly Better Shifting on 5MT  (Read 14137 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:08:23 PM »

I noticed there seemed to be some slop in the shifter, and occasionally a high rpm shift got a 1-2 grind, even though the clutch is all the way in (I made sure it it). I did a little investigation as to where the slop was coming from. I had my patient wife shift from 1-2 then back, and then shift through all gears to see what was happening, while I watched under the hood.

As it turns out, where the cable housing attaches to the trans. case, there is some extra slop. When the cable moves in and out, the cable housing shifts in and out a little too. There is a metal plate that is held down with two 10mm bolts, which keeps the cable in place. Under the plate is a fairly soft rubber ring that holds the cable. In fact I think it's too soft (for aggresive driving that is)

I made a quick and dirty "washer" .03" thick, to put in place under the plate. I had to slot it to be able to drop it over the rubber part (think "U-shaped" piece). My thinking was that it would compress the rubber to make things stiffer. Well, so far it works! Shifting is crisper.

I started with a .03 washer and it seemed to work. Then, I tried tried a lot thicker washer, but .06" looked to be the thickest, while still being able to get the plate to sit flat when bolted down.

This is where it is. Still not easy to get at even with an SRI. The bottom bolt is a tight fit but with a little work comes off using a small 1/4" drive ratchet and 10mm socket.

Washer before smoothing out (you get the idea) I didn't find anything off-the-shelf so i made it.

Slip it on over the narrow part of the rubber, then slide back into position completely, so that it's flush with the surface shown. The inner dia. should fit over the piece of rubber sticking out. Bolt down the original plate back down over it. That's it. The nice thing is it's completely reversible if you decide to remove it. No modifications necessary.

I really wished Honda would have made the rubber piece out of urethane or at least a harder compound of rubber.

Information was transfered from Gen7Accord.com.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:51:19 PM »

I still have this washer thingy sitting on my kitchen table.  It's been sitting there for like 3 years and I have never installed it.  Maybe one day when it's warm.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Heckler

Heckler pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 07:31:20 AM »

How to convert Hecklers slow slushbox to shift slightly better; 5AT - 6MT swap :D

Fujita intake, DC header, TSX IM, P2R Gasket, Hondata Gasket, Homebrewed catchcan, Ralco pulleys, Apex'i WS2 catback, Ingalls TD.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:50:09 AM »

Talk to Mike Sedacca about that.  When I was at Cham's place on Tuesday, he had 2 TSX trannys there.  I'm sure he would sell you one when he gets back to Boston.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »

how about the corsport aluminum shifter cable bushings? would these make shifting smoother?
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_81&products_id=1120

rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:47:14 PM »

Quote from: "fabulous010"
how about the corsport aluminum shifter cable bushings? would these make shifting smoother?
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_81&products_id=1120

it makes the shifts feel more precise. smoother yes, and more sporty feeling at the same time.

can someone snap some better pictures of exactly where and how this is supposed to work?
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:14:47 AM »

there's a DIY for it on v6p net
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77629&highlight=corsport+install

i think i will get this next...but i really want a SSK too!

fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »

there are more posts on it too. just too give you a better idea
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77602

i also found this
http://www.corforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,4539.0.html

sgrab
Fucking Newb

sgrab pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:12:47 PM »

I was under the hood and decided to try this. I didn't really get good results. When I shifted into third gear at high rpm my clutch would grind. So I took it off and all is well. Maybe the washer I used was to thick, idk. But I already have the corsport bushings which did a good job of cleaning up the slop.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »

I never did this mod or found it necessary, and I have more tranny upgrades than most guys on this forum.  It's really not good to shift at high rpms regardless of whether you have this or not.

Tim
hondaguy214

Reputation Power: 1
hondaguy214 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »

+1 to Tim.

NECM SQUAD#6
SilverAccords06n12
Fucking Newb

SilverAccords06n12 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 02:46:58 AM »

5 year old thread revival!  How long did you keep the washer in, and do you still think it was a good idea in hindsight?  Every few months I get the embarrassing 1st->2nd grind when I try to shift quickly.  I know Tim is correct about not winding out my engine, but, I dunno, I'm an idiot.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 08:25:26 AM »

Upgrade your clutch master cylinder. That would be more beneficial than the washer. Compared to 5 years ago, I have even more upgrades to my transmission and shift assembly. All I can suggest is that you shift slower. You're not trying to win races, so it makes no sense showing off and looking foolish when it doesn't work out.

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »

Funny. My washers are still installed. Granted, I've made a few more additions in the shift assembly besides just that so I doubt it's making much of a difference now.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
SilverAccords06n12
Fucking Newb

SilverAccords06n12 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 12:31:42 PM »

Alright, thanks guys.  I guess since I'm almost 30 I need to stop driving like a teenager.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012