Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:20:01 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Honda Aluminum M/T Shift Knob  (Read 11379 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »

TOOLS: SMALL snips or scissors, 14mm opened-end wrench & masking tape
Make sure you have all of the accesories that should come with the knob . I called the store (Showcase Honda/www.hondapartsunlimited.com ) to make sure that all parts that are illustrated on thier site are included . They were . I would suggest you do the same just to be on the safe side . The parts mentioned are - 1 cable tie ,1 14mm reataining bolt ,1 shift boot grommet , 1 shift boot grommet extension and of course the actual shift knob (not pictured)

1)Unclip shift boot from knob . I did this by grabbing the shift boot grommet at the base of the shifter and pulling down . If you notice my fingers are cadi-corner/opposing stiches in boot from each other . I find this way to be easiest .

2) Unscrew the factory/original shift knob by turning counter-clock wise . I know this sounds obvious but I try to be as specific as possible

3) After you remove your factory/original knob you should have this ....

4) Next pull out the bezel/trim around the shifter and boot . I found it easiest, in my opinion to start at the top left side and pull straight up .

If you noticed in the picture when I did this, the top right corner of the bezel/trim came up as well . If the right side doesn't come up when you pull up the left side, just simply pull up on the right side .
5)Pull straight up on the bottom left side of the bezel/trim and then the bottom right side

6)Remove the shifter/boot assembly and test fit the new knob . When I did this I noticed a few catches while threading the knob on to the shift lever . I AT NO POINT HAD TO FORCE IT . It's not uncommon to have "catches" when threading two meatal objects together . The reason I stress the above is because I'm sure if you do force the the knob to thread, it will more than likely cross-thread the shift knob and then you are stuck with a beautiful and expensive paperweight .

7) Next take the shift boot assembly inside. There is a cable tie that attaches the shift boot to the shift grommet . Use A SMALL pair of snips or scissors to cut this . If you use a knife be carefull not to cut the actual shift boot

8) Turn the shift boot assembly inside-out

9) Remove shift boot grommet by pulling straight up

10)Take a look at the shift boot grommet supplied with the knob . Notice there is a textured side and a smooth side/sunny side . You insert the textured side into the boot face down/torward the inside of the car

11)After that use the cable tie to attach the supplied shift boot grommet,sunny side up . Cut off excess with snips .

12)Push the shift boot assembly back through to the original position and this is what you should have

In the picture above notice the 3 prongs inside the grommet . Those 3 prongs slide into the grooves in the grommet extension

13)Re-install shift boot assembly .Do this reverse of how it was taken out by just pressing down on the bezel at all four corners of the bezel

14) Install grommet extension . This probably should be done before you re-install the shift boot but I wanted to see how it looked without the extension .

15) Screw on the retaining bolt

16) Screw on the shift knob and tighten the retaining bolt against the shift knob and you are done . I actually went a little stupid on it and covered the inside of the wrench with masking tape to make sure the bolt didn't get rounded off when I tightened it

Finished product without the extension

And with the extension

I hope this helps someone who is doing an OEM mod

Information was transfered from Gen7Accord.com.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »

good write up but one thing
u installed that little black tube peice upside down (the black tube that sits under the shifter knob). the knob should be flush with that ring. i did it like u did. then i looked at it twice and said what?!?!

u installed that piece upside down. the boot should sit flush with the knob.

to do this u must unclip the boot again. that lilttle black piece u take out form the top. then u take off the boot. flip that lilttle black piece upside down so that those three "teeth" i guess u can call it that. face upwords. THEN u put ur boot on top of that. then press down on the ring at the top of the boot until it clicks onto this teeth. and then put on the nut and attach the knob again. i hope this helps. i dont have pictures of the install but i have pics of the final product
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:02:24 AM by fabulous010 » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:38:07 PM »

^Could you make those pics smaller so we can view them without clicking on the link?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:01:19 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
^Could you make those pics smaller so we can view them without clicking on the link?

done.

suleman_manji

Reputation Power: 3
suleman_manji pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:45:58 AM »

What's the part # to that shift knob... pretty sure that's not the one Honda Access offers.

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:17:06 AM »

Quote from: "suleman_manji"
What's the part # to that shift knob... pretty sure that's not the one Honda Access offers.

part #08U92-S6M-200A

instructions https://www.manchestermotorsports.com/files/Accord_2-4_Dr_Shift_Knob_06.

rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:55:44 PM »

hows the feel of that shift knob? nice and weighted?
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 12:53:13 AM »

Quote from: "rjp6262"
hows the feel of that shift knob? nice and weighted?

it feels smooth. and is pretty weighted. i like it.... but must warn you that in the summer it freezes your hand... and of course will burn your hand in the summer. i cant hold on to it. i must shift and let go, as it gets pretty damn hot...

ok so i found a neat little trick. for any one that want to custom color the ingraved gear numbers on there shifter. its as simple as melting a crayon.... thats it. you just melt the crayon on top let it settle into the numbers and rub axcess off

heres a pic of my shifter now:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:04:52 AM by fabulous010 » Logged

cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:36:53 AM »

thats a neat trick with a crayon looks good

EngageEi8ht
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
EngageEi8ht pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »

I'm finding it really hard to unscrew the shifter.
How much force do you need to unscrew this thing?

And my EX has seat heaters; I assume you need to unplug those as well.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »

Put some monkey grip with a mixture of retard strength and you'll get it unscrewed. It's not like it's epoxied on there.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012