Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:01:29 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TSX Intake Manifold DIY / Q & A  (Read 166537 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »

Welcome to the new TSX intake manifold installation guide!

Preface:  This guide has some history that needs to be addressed first and foremost.  Outersquare posted an introduction to swapping over to a TSX intake manifold on an 03-05 Accord.  His instructions involved buying a Haynes manual and performing the swap.  I decided to write a DIY with pictures and a complete list of all materials and tools needed to get the information out to you for free.  Later on, BlackDrgnAccord approached me and stated that he’d successfully swapped an 06 TSX manifold on his 06+ Accord.  He asked me to include his swap in my DIY.  A bunch of time passed where I couldn’t complete it, and here is the final product.  Credit for this DIY goes to Outersquare, Skippy, and BlackDrgnAccord.  Skippy is the author of the 03-05 DIY, and gratefully accepts and integrates information from BlackDrgnAccord regarding the 06+ manifold swap.  Also, thanks to everybody who noted problems, tips, and tricks to make swapping easier.  Your information, questions, problems, and concerns have been taken care of in version 2 of this DIY.

Disclaimer:  This is a DIY guide.  By using this guide you agree that you have obtained ALL necessary parts and have ON HAND all tools necessary to complete the swap.  You agree to hold harmless myself, Outersquare, and BlackDrgnAccord of any damage caused by this modification or your installation.  If you do not follow the directions, you don’t have the right to complain.  If you have a question, feel free to ask, but PLEASE READ OVER THE GUIDE SO YOU DON’T ASK A REDUNDANT QUESTION.  

Intellectual property notice:  I consider this guide to be the intellectual property of Myself (Skippy), and BlackDrgnAccord, with credit for the idea and introduction being to Outersquare.  We worked hard to bring you this information, and I worked hard compiling all of it and making it user friendly.  If you want to copy this DIY to your forum, please GIVE US CREDIT.

Have a problem?: If you encounter a problem with your installation, I (Skippy) am more than happy to help you out.  I have performed several TSX manifold swaps including 06+ applications.  You may contact me on G7A by PM, or by AIM: Shad0wk24.  The O is a zero.  Please re-read the guide before contacting me directly though…

So here’s what you’ve been waiting for…The TSX Intake manifold swap Version 2.0.  This guide contains information to swapping your 7th generation Accord’s intake manifold over to a TSX primary intake manifold.  Why do this?? Here’s the difference between manifolds.  The accord manifold is on the left, and the TSX is on the right:

Here’s another picture comparing the two manifolds.  The TSX manifold is on the left, and the accord manifold is on the right:

The runners on the TSX manifold are wider, and the plenum is much larger.  This equates to better throttle response and increased power.  How much power? I don’t know, I didn’t get dyno’d before and after to see.  Anybody who has swapped will tell you that the pickup and response of their vehicles has noticeably increased.

PRE-GUIDE AND PARTS LIST

This guide combines the installation instructions for both 03-05 and 06+ manifold swaps.  The designation is made where ever the instructions differ drastically from the standard 03-05 manifold swap.

Why are the swaps different? Acura made changes to the intake manifold for the 2006 model.  03-05 accords have an idle air control valve and therefore need a cutout in the intake manifold to allow airflow through the IACV.  The 2006 Accord features the introduction of the Electronic Throttle Control system which eliminates the IACV.  The 2004-2005 Acura TSX has the IACV slot present although no TSX has ever featured an IACV.  In 2006, the same year as the Accord switched to ETC, the TSX manifold changed design.  

What this means to you:  If you own a 2003-2005 Accord, you must use the 04-05 TSX intake manifold.  If you own a 2006+ Accord, you must use the 06+ TSX intake manifold.  

Parts List:

For 2003-2005 Accords:

TSX Intake Manifold - 17110-RBB-000
TSX Bracket - 17132-RAC-U00
Accord Throttle Body Gasket – 16176-RAA-A01

For 06+ Accords:

TSX Intake Manifold - 17110-RBB-A00
TSX Bracket - 17132-RAC-U00
Accord Throttle Body Gasket – 16176-RTA-004
2003 Accord rubber sealing cap – 90634-PA0-000
***ONLY MT OWNERS WILL NEED THE SEALING CAP***

Notes on parts: The Accord and TSX use a bracket to stabilize the intake manifold.  You may choose to buy the TSX bracket and use it to stabilize your new manifold.  I for one did not do this, and I’ve never had a problem.  The manifold is cast aluminum and isn’t going anywhere in my opinion.  If you wish to use the new bracket, the part number is provided.

Tools needed for installation

3/8" drive ratchet (flex head recommended, and 12" long is perfect)
3" extension for said ratchet (just in case)
Phillips screwdriver
10mm deep socket
12mm deep socket
14mm deep socket (just in case)
10mm wrench (flex head gear wrench preferred)
12mm wrench (same as above)
Gasket scraper
Brake cleaner
small hammer
needle nose pliers (90 degree bent preferred)
magnetic or plastic tray to hold bolts / nuts

ON TO THE GUIDE!

Start by removing your intake. Disconnect the IAT sensor, which is located on the intake. Remove the breather hose from the intake plenum. The MAP sensor is secured to the intake manifold with a Phillips head bolt.  Remove it and place it somewhere clean.  Remove the 10mm bolt holding on the L shaped wire harness on the front of the intake manifold.  Unplug the large connector coming up from the bottom.  Remember it’s there when you get done!!

Next, remove the two 10mm bolts holding the throttle cable bracket to the manifold.

Take care to remember which of these is shorter, as they will need to go back into their respective holes on reinstallation.  This does not apply to 2006+ models since they don't have throttle cables!

Disconnect all electronics from the throttle body.  This includes the Throttle position sensor and Idle Air Control Valve (03-05).  06+ people need only disconnect the large electrical input harness.  You may find while removing the throttle body later that the coolant lines attached to the throttle body are a PITA to work with.  If it comes to this, you may remove them while swapping.  Make sure that you shove a bolt into the hose to prevent excess coolant leakage.  If you don’t have a bolt handy, there will most likely be one of the correct diameter shortly as you start to take other things apart.

The next step is the most annoying part of the process.  Feel underneath the manifold for the stud that holds the intake manifold and frame bracket that secures it.  You will feel a 12mm nut.  Gingerly insert a wrench and remove this nut.  Remember, the nut is upside down in relation to you, so you’ll have to turn the wrench clockwise Smiley.

There are two 12mm nuts and 2 12mm bolts holding the throttle body to the intake manifold.  Remove the nuts and bolts.  Using your hammer, GENTLY tap on the throttle body where it meets the manifold.  If this does not loosen the throttle body, KEEP DOING IT.  If all else fails, GENTLY tap the throttle body on the lip where the intake attaches…just be REALLY CAREFUL.

Remove the throttle body.  Be careful to make sure that the throttle body is fully moveable (no part of the gasket is still stuck), or else it will tear.  This will necessitate the need to scrape the surface clean and clean it meticulously…

This is what removal should look like.  Notice that the gasket is still firmly attached to the throttle body.

Next, take one of the two throttle body nuts you just removed and put it on one of the TB studs backwards about half way down.  Take the other nut and put it on right-side-up over the first nut so that they make a sandwich.  Using your wrench and ratchet (or two wrenches), tighten the two nuts together.  Then, use your ratchet on the top nut and remove the stud from the manifold while noting it’s position.  Cool trick, eh?  Do the same for the other stud and set them aside.

Remove the 12mm nuts holding the primary intake manifold to the injector base behind it.  

After this, remove the primary manifold.  Swap over the bracket stud if you intend to install the new TSX intake manifold bracket.  You will NOT be able to re-use the stock bracket

This is where the manifold swaps differ, so I’ll write the steps according to each application separately:

2003-2005:

After removing the manifold, you’ll find a rubber sealing cap (or a hose) attached to the back of your manifold.  You will re-use this on the new manifold.  A vacuum leak will result if you do not swap this hose or sealing cap.  Swap it over immediately after removing the stock manifold to make sure you don’t forget later.  

2006+ models:

Remove the intake manifold and attached resonator box.  Don’t do anything else with it…there’s nothing special about it.  

MT OWNERS: MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THE RUBBER SEALING CAP THAT I TOLD YOU THAT YOU NEEDED.  If you don’t, you WILL have a vacuum leak and your car will idle erratically and cut out on you.  In a pinch, you can find some hose and make a cap by cutting a length, burning one end shut, and then placing the open end over the port on the back of the manifold.  

AT OWNERS: There is a vacuum hose on the front of your existing intake manifold.  This hose will be relocated to the back of the TSX manifold where a vacuum port is located.  The MT owners need a sealing cap as described above because their cars do not have that vacuum hose on the front of their manifolds.

Reassembly for ALL models

Reassembly is straightforward.  You do not need to replace the metal gasket that goes between the primary intake manifold and injector base.  If you’re attempting to avoid heatsoak (which means you’re probably one of the tin-foil hat people), you can opt to install a P2R (Power Rev Racing) insulating gasket in its place.  Please note that this install does not cover the use of a Hondata heatshield gasket.  Installation of that gasket requires injector base removal, which is not covered in this guide.  Install the manifold bracket (if desired), and then install the new manifold.  Tighten all bolts ¾ of a turn after they make contact.  Reinstall the throttle body and connect the coolant lines if you disconnected them.  Reinstall the throttle cable bracket (2003-2005).  Reinstall the Electrical input/output harness to the throttle body (2006+)  Reinstall the MAP sensor and L harness on the manifold.  Remember the large connector underneath the manifold from when you disconnected it!!  Check your work and start the car.  Test drive and then check your work again.

That’s it folks! Thanks for dealing with me taking so long with reproducing this guide..I was REALLY busy with school and work.  Hopefully the wait has paid off for you!

~Skippy

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:06:14 AM »

you wouldnt be able to post a DIY for the hondata IM gasket, woiuld ya?

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:55:21 AM »

It is here.

http://www.hondata.com/manuals/heatshie ... hield.html

For something more vehicle specific, I'd pick up a Hayne's manual.  It's not too difficult to do, but IMHO, isn't worth the effort for the gains you get.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »

also found this link

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=

hope this will help with anybody who wants to do the hondata gasket install

CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:09:49 PM »

I have this write up (thank you Skippy) printed out so when I do my install very soon I can have it to look back on if I run into any problems... Take a look matching TSX Intake Mani and Valve Cover.

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
seththekorean

Reputation Power: 4
seththekorean pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »

im glad skip put this up on the last gen7a website. i ordered mine, but when i got it, the switch to gen7space was taking place. so i had nothing to refer to. however, it was pretty well written so having read it a couple times, i was able to wing it. i mean it was simple though.and i love gains too.

[size=150]Seth[/size]
04' Coupe k24a4 5AT
SECM Squad Member
k.huston
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
k.huston pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:41:12 AM »

I'll be doing this one tomorow. I can't wait to feel the difference.

Thanks to Tim for getting me on here and all the advice so far!

Keith
05 Coupe K24A4 5MT

EliteCM Profile
unclejud49348

Reputation Power: 3
unclejud49348 pfffft.
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »

I had a deal worked out w/ someone on G7a before the switch to buy a 05 TSX IM, but then I lost his contact info. I'm glad I didn't do it because the honda dealership said it would've voided my warranty.

Guess I gotta wait another 45,000 miles before I can do this mod   :x

Justin - NHBP Sedan 5AT

(^^ Made by Milan, thanks!)

Quote from: "skizot"
unclejud49348 <--serious, WTF is with that name
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »

That's pretty lame.  A Honda dealership probably wouldn't even notice the difference.  You can find them pretty cheap if you go to k20a.org.  I just posted a thread over there that I wanted one for under $100 shipped and in a matter of a day I got 2 offers.

Tim
k.huston
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
k.huston pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »

I (with help from Tim and Dom) installed the TSX IM last weekend. It would have been smooth sailing but the pressure fit brass vacuum connection was broken off in the unit. We were going to drill it out, run some threads and screw in a new fitting. Fortunately as we were drilling, the busted piece of fitting started to slip and came out. I torqued on the old fitting for a while and managed to pop it out and fit it back in the TSX IM. Bottom line, we got it done and what a difference! Here are a couple pics of the before/after. Next comes exhaust!

(Don't mind the filth, it's a New England winter!)

Keith
05 Coupe K24A4 5MT

EliteCM Profile
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »

I'll try to get some of my pics up soon.

Tim
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »

Quote from: "k.huston"
I (with help from Tim and Dom) installed the TSX IM last weekend. It would have been smooth sailing but the pressure fit brass vacuum connection was broken off in the unit. We were going to drill it out, run some threads and screw in a new fitting. Fortunately as we were drilling, the busted piece of fitting started to slip and came out. I torqued on the old fitting for a while and managed to pop it out and fit it back in the TSX IM. Bottom line, we got it done and what a difference! Here are a couple pics of the before/after. Next comes exhaust!

(Don't mind the filth, it's a New England winter!)

Looks great! How long did it take, I'm going to do mine real soon....

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »

is there any gas mileage related con's to this mod?...more air=more gas used?

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 11:42:27 PM »

If your driving aggressively, your fuel economy will go down a bit.  If you drive exactly the same, your shouldn't notice a difference.

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 06:03:19 PM »

i finally have one coming to me. can't wait to install it since the weather is getting nicer! going to be using this write up, and i'll take some pics. what kind of gains are people seeing from this? just more response and power across the entire RPM range correct?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012