Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:10:54 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TSX Intake Manifold DIY / Q & A  (Read 167226 times)
Slade
Fucking Newb

Deathstroke

Reputation Power: 1
Slade pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2013, 10:30:53 PM »

Wish I had time to help you while I'm in LI in a few weeks. I'm just gonna be too busy though.

It really isn't hard to do. If you can turn a wrench, you can definitely do this.
I've read the guide so many times I have it memorized lol I'm just worried about accidentally ripping the TB gasket upon removal, I'm not sure what is meant about removing the studs on our intake manifold and putting them on the tsx, for some reason I just can't comprehend that step and etc. idk I just don't feel confident in doing this lol but thanks anyways appreciate the fact that you would help if you had time!
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #271 on: December 24, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »

The intake manifolds have two studs and four threaded holes for the throttle body mount. The two studs (bolts without heads) slip through matching clearance holes on the throttle body itself with a nut on top, and the remaining two are secured with regular bolts. I think that's how it is, someone correct me if I am wrong.

The TSX intake manifold studs are too long due to differing throttle body designs between the Accord and TSX. The shorter studs need to be transferred to the TSX intake manifold. This is done by "mashing" two nuts together on the stud (the bottom one is upside down so that their washer sides mash together and lock the threads), and then loosening the bottom nut. The top nut is tightened in order to put the stud back on.

When I did this mod I printed out the OP, pics and all. That helped out a lot. I also have a spare 03-05 throttle body gasket if you need one. I just need to find it.

Slade
Fucking Newb

Deathstroke

Slade pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 24, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »

Hey thanks for clearing that up Jeff!
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #273 on: December 25, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »

You should also definitely have the spare TB gasket on hand just in case. I got lucky when I installed mine on my 05 Accord with about 60k miles. Anything older than that I would be wary of the gasket ripping.

I think the hardest part of this mod is simply trying to get your hands in tight places, and moving shit out of the way to remove/install the manifold. That's really about it. It's a simple mod that I would definitely do over again if I had more time.

cd5myeleanor
Fucking Newb

cd5myeleanor pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2014, 12:41:32 AM »

here is my experience:

When i first got my car, i raised the hood and was delighted to see that the previous owner had installed an AEM SRI.
After a few months i found this website whilst looking online for ways to get a bit more power out of my k24.
I was interested in the TSX manifold swap and eventually found myself buying one for $50 on k20a.org

Eventually i also bought a P2R gasket and a new throttle body gasket.
There came a time when I had to replace my serpentine belt so i decided to do the IM swap, 8 months after buying the TSX IM.

I had read Tims DIY atleast 15 times before doing the swap. Whilst doing the job, i hardly had to look at his directions due to the simplicity of this changeover. The scariest part was removing the old studs. My neighbor eventually came through to help me. i highly recommend having another person to help you with this part.

However, I'd say the hardest part was scraping the old gasket. That took atleast an hour. I started this around 9 am and chose to replace the serpentine belt first. I even took a nap whilst waiting for my neighbor to show up in the late afternoon. So towards the end,  i actually had to rush with a LED flashlight gritted between my teeth in the dark. After everything was connected my car coughed a bit and had a rough start but she cranked up.

I have not noticed any erratic idling or laggy take off like a few other people on here. There were no vacuum leaks or any other issues.

I noticed 0 gains from this mod.

My utmost respect and appreciation for Tim for covering this mod. i guess it mostly benefits those with slush boxes..
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:49:01 AM by cd5myeleanor » Logged
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »

I can't take credit for this one.  Skippy was the one that made the DIY, I just reposted it over here when the time came to update the site.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2014, 02:45:06 PM »

I noticed 0 gains from this mod.

My utmost respect and appreciation for Tim for covering this mod. i guess it mostly benefits those with slush boxes..
Not true. Due to the very nature of the k24a2 and how it's a higher revving engine than the k24a4/8, this manifold essentially shifts the power band to a higher rpm range than the stock accord manifold does while maintaining a bit of the low end grunt. The accord manifold chokes in the upper range. The slush box equipped accord won't make use of it because of the transmission shift points.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »

My old 05 AT Accord noticed a small increase in mid range torque, but I'd imagine that the 06-07 Accords probably have even less of a benefit, if any. I believe that they have some kind of resonator behind the plenum that increases low end torque, and the 07-08 TSX IM doesn't have such a thing. Otherwise I would have done it already.

cd5myeleanor
Fucking Newb

cd5myeleanor pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 27, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »

well im sorry guys but i really didn't notice a difference at any point in the rpm range. I've noticed that the k24a4 engine makes more power in the low and medium rpm range.. At higher rpm, the rate of acceleration seems to decrease. Knowing that the TSX k24a2 makes more power at the high rpm due to its true vtec capapbilities, i expected my accord to maintain its rate of acceleration from the medium rpm range to redline after the swap. However my accord still feels the same. i did not feel any difference in the lower rpm band either. I expected to cover 0-40 mph alot quicker and yet no avail from this mod.

I've given up the idea of making this car any faster with NA mods and without the a2 unit. I have noticed that people are getting good numbers from turbocharging the a4 unit. If i had to stick to the a4 motor to make power, i would think about the FI route.

if i had to give another piece of advice to those attempting this: it is easier to remove the bracket from underneath the car. I also chose not to replace mine. I would still say this mod is worthwhile because of the cool factor.
thanks
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:42:00 AM by cd5myeleanor » Logged
Nit3h4wk C0uP3
Veteran

Reputation Power: 5
Nit3h4wk C0uP3 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »

About to do this, just have to secure a date. Come to find out I have a stupid aftermarket IM in my car so I'm very anxious to get the TSX one in there. I also got the Hondata heat gasket, I know it wasn't absolutely necessary but #discount
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:08 PM »

FYI, those IM heat gaskets actually lose power. Since they are thicker than your stock IM gasket, they change the position of your injectors and move them further away from the intake valve. This actually will cost you about 5-10 hp.

For clarification, this is the gasket between the injector base and the cylinder head. The other gasket between the IM and the injector base will not cause this problem.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Nit3h4wk C0uP3
Veteran

Nit3h4wk C0uP3 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »

This dude^
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »

Yup. That's the one that will cost you power.

Tim
Nit3h4wk C0uP3
Veteran

Nit3h4wk C0uP3 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »

Well that's contradicting. Sad I can install without it right? I think I read that
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »

Here's the thread. Please read post #9.

http://m.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=49039268&styleid=18

Just to be clear, this is the gasket that installs between the head and the injector runners. This doesn't apply to the thermal gasket that goes between the injector runners and the intake manifold.

Tim
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012