Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:02:26 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Install 6-speed Strut Bar on Coupes  (Read 10894 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:21:04 AM »

Okay, first off I just want to say I am using the ID Sin-R V6 due to lack of confusion on Gen7 and V6P. Also I got these pics from my friend who stated the author of this is named "j0bat6j023" on V6P. I didnt see one for coupes and this has pictures so hope you guys enjoy and hope this is helpful.

1) Then you'll need a socket wrench with a 10mm and 12mm with 2 extentions (different lengths)

2) First position the wipers upward like below

3) Then remove 3 tabs on the plastic part shwon below. Only the passenger side and the 2 middle ones. No need to remove the driver side

4) Slowly pull apart the weather strip. SLOWLY.

5) Then try and gently remove the plast covering. It's a rectangular covering.

6) After that you'll see 2 screws, remove those 2 screws

7) Then VERY GENTLY, remove/lift the long plastic covering on the passenger side to the middle of the car as shown below. Just pry a lil and lift it up.

8) Then you'll feel/see 2 screws that need to be removed.

9a) PASSENGER SIDE: Now move to the engine bay and remove the bolts holds down the metal bars as shown below. Repeat the same step for the driver side. Remove it slowly, dont break anything.

9b) DRIVER SIDE:

10) These 2 pics shows the bar that was removed and the actual 6-speed Strut Bar thats going to be installed.

11) Now this is the hardest part for me. Installing the 6-speed bar is not as easy as it seems. This part takes a little bit of creativity, time, and guts. This will be the most time consuming.

11a) There is a plastic covering on the driver side where the old bar was bolted to (the red arrow is pointing to the bolt connected to that plastic covering. Since the 6 speed bar cant move that much like the old bar, the plastic piece is going to be in the way. Just use a lil bit of force and force it under.

11b) As long as you force that under enough, the rest sould be easy and bolt on.

12) And finally, after about 30 mins - 1 hr of work (for beginners), this is what it'll look like.

Okay, so this is finish.

Transfered from Gen7Accord.com.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »

i just installed my strut bar yesterday. great write up thein. it went just as planned. i used the write up to locate the bolt up areas. once i had all the plastic off it was simple enough to unbolt. and yes manuvering that "solid" bar vs the two bars was difficult but with a wiggle and sum force is jumped into place.

only problem i had installing the bar was that my throttle body cable had a bracket that attached to the driver side bar with a bolt. on the 6spd bar there was no hole for that bracket. so once the bar was secure i had to drill/thread a new hold for that bracket. i think 4cyl might have the same issue as i did. make sure you give urself extra time to do this. it took me 45 mins to install the bar and drill out the new hole.

anyways i havent driven the car much. i feel somewhat of a difference. i have to drive it some more, to see what this baby can do.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »

Yeah, that's one part that was never mentioned.  You do have to drill out a new hole for the TB cables and fog light relays if you do this.  I just drilled out holes and used a nut and bolt.  If I had access to a MIG welder to secure the nut in the bar, it would have been pretty cool.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:53:41 PM »

Quote from: "fabulous010"
i just installed my strut bar yesterday. great write up thein. it went just as planned. i used the write up to locate the bolt up areas. once i had all the plastic off it was simple enough to unbolt. and yes manuvering that "solid" bar vs the two bars was difficult but with a wiggle and sum force is jumped into place.

only problem i had installing the bar was that my throttle body cable had a bracket that attached to the driver side bar with a bolt. on the 6spd bar there was no hole for that bracket. so once the bar was secure i had to drill/thread a new hold for that bracket. i think 4cyl might have the same issue as i did. make sure you give urself extra time to do this. it took me 45 mins to install the bar and drill out the new hole.

anyways i havent driven the car much. i feel somewhat of a difference. i have to drive it some more, to see what this baby can do.

C'mon man, spell my name right. "I" before "E" except after "C".
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:44:15 PM »

Great write up, but i would change the title to coupes and sedan...its virtually the same (the rectangle piece might not be as big, but same thing)

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:57:58 AM »

my bad thien! lol

fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:28:30 AM »

i installed my strut bar. and there seems to be some noise coming from the engine bay. i tightened the bolts up some more. still i hear noises. im pretty sure i didnt break nothing when installing the strut bar. i assume that it is the strut bar because it makes noises when car sways front to back when accelerating or braking. i havent noticed the noise when making a turn (fast or slow). so i assume that it might be the four bolts under the wiper blades. does anyone know what i am talking about? its soo annoying

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »

Go back and double check all bolts is where I would start.
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »

i have done that already twice... still makes noise

cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 06:07:57 PM »

I would like to take on this project where would i be able to find the 6 speed strut bar?

MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 09:39:10 PM »

On any Honda online parts site.

As for the clunking noise, it may be something else involved like your struts itself.
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »

my friend mentions to me that the STB is made for the v6. me having the 4cyl model my struts arent as stiff. and when paired up with the STB, probably make noise.
I have noticed that most rides with the STB upgrade do have coilovers or anything other then stock 4cyl struts. if any one has this STB with stock 4cyl struts and have success with the two let me know. also it probably doesnt help the fact that i got accord/TL comptech lowering springs not accord 4cyl lowering springs. :s

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

It probably doesn't have anything to do with it.  It may be a coincidence that the noise appeared after you installed the STB.  Your stock shocks may have blown and it's time for a replacement.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »

how can i tell if they re blown? the car still rides smooth and doesnt vibrate on the highway....

rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 11:23:11 AM »

to do this all you need is the strut bar yes?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012