Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:33:15 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY on painting your own K series valve cover  (Read 38879 times)
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »

DIY on custom painting your own K series Valve Cover:

Supplies needed:
A. K24 Valve Cover
B. 180 Grit Sandpaper
C. 800 Grit Sandpaper
D. Q-tips
E. Masking Tape
F. Paper Towels
G. 1 can of High Temperature spray paint in the color of your choice
H. 1 can of High Temperature Clear Coat or Sparkle EFX Clear Cot depending on your preference
I. Rags
J. Flat-Head Screw Driver
K. Socket Wrench
L. 10mm Socket
M. Chap-Stick
N. Gasket Set

Remove your old Valve Cover or use an extra one you have like I did. Remove all the 10MM bolts and nuts holding down the Valve Cover and the spark plug cover. Take out the ignition coils that cover the spark plugs as well. Remove the dipstick and oil cap. The Valve Cover needs to be free and clear of anything restricting it from removal. Make sure once you remove the Valve Cover you close the hood or atleast cover the area with a Rag to prevent any dust/dirt form getting into the engine!

Start off by cleaning your Valve Cover to remove any dirt and motor oil. I basically used soap and water with a rag. Once completed dry it down with a Rag or you can let it air dry.

Now you can start sanding the Valve Cover down with the 180 Grit Sandpaper for the rough, scratched up spots to even them out. You can then use the 800 Grit Sandpaper to smooth down the whole Valve Cover and make sure everything is even so that your finished outcome will look like it came from Honda itself. Now clean the Valve Cover once again to remove the dirt and dust from sanding. Use a Rag to dry it down or you can let it air dry, your choice. I did both to ensure that it was completely dry for painting.

Pick a nice clean, ventilated area to prep your Valve Cover for painting. Start by using the Paper Towels to plug the holes or use the Masking Tape if preferred. You don't have to but if you want you can use the Chap-Stick to go over the “HONDA” logo. Just go over the raised part of the letters. This little trick allows you remove the paint easily from the letters once you completed the painting process. Use light coats of High Temperature Spray Paint when painting, you can use 2-3 coats to make sure it is even and the Valve Cover is completely painted. I used a Q-tip and a Flat-Head Screw Driver to scrap clean the paint off the letters once the Valve Cover was dried. It easily comes right off! So now you have a Custom Painted Valve Cover with polished metal letters.

Now you can apply a light coat, probably 2-3 coats of High Temperature Clear Coat or Sparkle EFX Clear Coat to give it a nice clean, shiny or shiny sparkle look. You don’t have to use the Clear Coat if you don’t want to. It’s your choice. I prefer to use it. It’s added protection to me for the Valve Cover which can be wiped clean when it gets dirty.

Remove the Paper Towels and Masking Tape from the holes you covered to prevent the paint from going in.

You now completed the DIY on Custom Painting your Valve Cover….

*TIP: Remove your Power Steering Hose before putting the new Custom Painted Valve Cover on to allow it to go in easily without scratching the paint. It will leak alittle so becareful, nothing to worry about though.

Make sure all bolts (10mm) are tightened securely. Check for any gaps, start the car and check for any leaks. I recommend checking the Valve Cover gasket the next day after driving the car to make sure the Valve Cover is not leaking and you still have a secure fit!

Make sure that you replace all the old gaskets with a new set when you reinstall you new custom painted Valve Cover that can be purchased here: SOUTH BAY HONDA
Part #12030-RAA-A01. It comes with 1 Valve Cover gasket, 4 spark plug gaskets and 6 smaller gaskets with the metal rings you will need to bolt back down your Valve Cover.

This is my first DIY, nothing serious but I hope that this may help out some fellow members who would like to Custom Paint their own Valve Cover to give their engine bay a unique one of a kind look.

Thank you and remember safe driving everyone.

ENJOY!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:19:27 PM by CrazyCreashunz » Logged

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
ROLO

Reputation Power: 8
ROLO pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »

YOU ARE THE MAN !! I have a weekend project now...
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »

Quote from: "ROLO"

We are all here to help eachother out and learn as we go dude. Glad this DIY will help you out! Have fun...

Remember Rolo spray the Valve Cover with a light color (gray) High Temp. Paint first, probably 2 coats the when it is fully dried coat it with your OEM paint. Then use High Temp. Clear coat. This way you have High Temp. Paint below and above the OEM paint to protect it from the extreme heat!

InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 02:55:41 AM »

Nice write up Billy.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 06:43:48 AM »

Good stuff bro...

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
ROLO

Reputation Power: 8
ROLO pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 08:36:49 AM »

Quote from: "CrazyCreashunz"
Quote from: "ROLO"

We are all here to help eachother out and learn as we go dude. Glad this DIY will help you out! Have fun...

Remember Rolo spray the Valve Cover with a light color (gray) High Temp. Paint first, probably 2 coats the when it is fully dried coat it with your OEM paint. Then use High Temp. Clear coat. This way you have High Temp. Paint below and above the OEM paint to protect it from the extreme heat!

Will do !.. once again Thanks man.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »

Damn B! Nice fucking write up.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 08:44:32 PM »

Quote from: "InFuMoUs"
Nice write up Billy.
Quote from: "ibcnunv"
Good stuff bro...
Quote from: "CrackerTeg"
Damn B! Nice fucking write up.

Thanks guys, im sure this will be useful to some members!

Jade06

Reputation Power: 0
Jade06 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:16:56 AM »

WOW! When did you write this all up.... Nice write up man. I see you got mine up in the photos! I really like how you did the red valve cover with the HONDA logo not painted, sweeeetttt!

CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 09:01:24 AM »

Quote from: "Jade06"
WOW! When did you write this all up.... Nice write up man. I see you got mine up in the photos! I really like how you did the red valve cover with the HONDA logo not painted, sweeeetttt!
Thanks, of course I got yours up dude.... I painted it lolzzz and I needed it for reference! Yea the red valve cover came out nice. I just wish Piero would get cracking on the gasket set ordering already so we can swap it out!

ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »

Quote from: "CrazyCreashunz"
Quote from: "Jade06"
Thanks, of course I got yours up dude.... I painted it lolzzz and I needed it for reference! Yea the red valve cover came out nice. I just wish Piero would get cracking on the gasket set ordering already so we can swap it out!

I sent one of my guys to Honda of Manhattan yesterday for them.... He however, never came back let me call him to see if he was able to get them for me...

SORRY CHINO...

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »

A little thread revival, here is my current setup

Shout-out to my shop for the hydro graphing work... Underground Motorsports.

You can check them out at:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/undergroundmotorsport

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012