Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:12:43 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY. Outlaw Engeneering Thermoblock spacer kit for V6  (Read 7013 times)
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:25:31 PM »

got Thermoblock spacer kit and went to Bretts house to install it.

installation is pretty easy but instructions are for CL-S engine, maybe its same but w/e

best to do it is when car is cold, if you drove it for some time then IM and all bolts will be too hot to work with

tools needed

size 8(maybe) 10 and 12 sockets with extension or deep sockets if you have it.
wisegrips unscrew the studs (even though i dont think they needed to be replaced on IM)
pliers
shop towel to cover intake runners while you work.
second pair of hands is always beneficial

Step 1.
 take your intake off and put it somewhere (on table or something clean)

Step 2.
Take off your IM upper cover (plate that say Honda on it) and gasket thats under that plate. (honda manual says to replace it, i didnt)
take out bolts and i think 2 nuts. set them aside so you dont loose them you gona reuse them to put cover back on

Step3.
unscrew bolts and nuts that hold IM to intake runners (there are 7 bolts and 2 nuts
set them aside as you will not use them again, (footnote 1). disconect all connectors from temp sensors, TB, PCV hose, brake booster vacuum hose, and vacuum hose
unscrew 2 TB nuts and 2 bolts. you will not use them when reinstalling. move TB aside for now

unscrew 2 bolts and disconect hose circled. way easier then disconecting holse from bottom of that evap i think

Step4.
prepare clean shop towel. carefuly slowly lift up IM while checking if you forgot to disconect anything. please be gentle with all hoses, use pliers to get spring clips off
set IM aside. this is good time to clean it. i used mass airflow cleaner to do that. im sure it will be in same condition in few days as before but oh well.
you will notice how rough intake runners are on IM. this is why porting it would be a good thing, have to look into it

Step 5. place shop towel on top of intake runners so nothing falls in while you work in that area
remove 2 studs (see footnote 1 first). and replace them with once that come in the kit, just notice that shorter thread goes in intake runners

Step 6. once you cleaned IM (thats optional). take off shop towel, take thermoblock spacers and put it on intake runners. there is metal gasket on there already, if you wana take it off and clean it from oil then its fine. leave that gasket there, do not through it out, put black spacer on, then green gasket on top. and you can put IM back on
original metal gasket (honda manual says to replace it. i didnt)

thermoblock spacer

thermoblock gasket

Step 7.
put IM back on carefully. put all bolts that came in the kit instead of original once (they are longer to accommodate spacer)
torque bolts and nuts to 16lbf*ft

Step 8
reconect all connectors (temp sensor, TB connector, MAP sensor(i think), reconect PCV hose, brake booster vacuum hose, and vacuum hose
screw 2 new TB nuts and 2 new bolts that came with the kit.

screw 2 bolts back in and reconect hose circled.

step 9
take off TB studs off just like you did with IM. this studs you have to replace becouse they are longer to accommodate spacer

Step 10
put TB spacer on (honda says to replace original gasket but i didnt).  before you put TB back on, (get shop towel and sit it under TB becouse when you disconect water hoses(coolant hoses) from TB, coolant will leak out) and use connector that came with the kit to connect 2 of them (as i found out, those hoses heat up TB. its needed in colder climates but not here. Brett has it done on his and he said it was fine in winter

picture coming soon(forgot to take it)

Step 11
put throtle body back on, tighten the bolts to 16lbf*ft. dont forget to reconnect ECU connector for TB

Step 12. put upper IM gasket and cover back on. again, honda says to replace gasket, i did not, it was not cracked so why do it
tighten bolts to 8.7lbf*ft

Step 13. put your intake back on and tighten all clamps that hold intake to TB.

go back and check if all your connectors are reconected and all bolts are tighned.

reset your computer becouse you will have check engine light from disconecting intake temp sensor. you can remove negative battery terminal while doing this and it will reset your computer.

i think thats all

footnotes

1. .....but if you want to try, leave 2 studs in and put thermoblock spacer on and put IM back on and see if you have good thread to put nut back on, if not then.....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:43:15 PM by AV6NHBP6SPD » Logged

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »

Great write up Misha. Very thorough and detailed. What are you initial impressions after the two mods? I'm guessing it'd be along the same lines as doing the IM gasket on the 4 bangers.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:01:10 PM »

for me its very hard to notice any difference. i did feel that car was little smoother after this? but maybe its just knowing that its in there

if i had infrared thermometer i would measure before and after temps

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:12:59 AM »

Good stuff Misha.  Did you have to move and grounds from your IM to your valve cover like the K24 guys have to do, or are there no grounds on the J30 IM?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
Good stuff Misha.  Did you have to move and grounds from your IM to your valve cover like the K24 guys have to do, or are there no grounds on the J30 IM?

no grounds as far as i know. but bolts from IM to intake runners have no spacers on them so i guess its good ground as is, but i probably gona add grounding kit anyway in future, we isntalled grounding kit from Paul on Bretts car after we did spacers on mine. ill do DIY on that

Misha
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »

Sorry to bump this but Damn I just did this mod today. Good shit. A+ The TB and IM is a lot cooler. I can actually touch it. another thing I would add when you are doing this is that you should do coolen Bypass just because it is easier to reach once you have everything out of the way.

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »

^^i did coolant bypass for TB when i did that but i guess i didnt put that in

Misha
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:21:22 AM »

Quote from: "AV6NHBP6SPD"
^^i did coolant bypass for TB when i did that but i guess i didnt put that in

What size jointer/ mender did you use? 3/8 or 5/16? LMK i think for 5 bucks its a great mod for people who live in area that don't hit 32* and lower

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »

^^dont know, it came with outlaw kit

Misha
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »

Misha, I don't know if you knew, but there is a torque sequence on the IM bolts. Both the IM bolt down bolts and cover.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 08:13:42 AM »

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"
Misha, I don't know if you knew, but there is a torque sequence on the IM bolts. Both the IM bolt down bolts and cover.

yep i know about torque sequence, i have honda service manual, i guess i forgot to mention that there is torque sequence

Misha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012