Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:01:40 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strut/springs Issue/Question.  (Read 3867 times)
NWINNIE34

Reputation Power: 6
NWINNIE34 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »

noticed that i get a heavy squeeking noise whenever i go over speed bumps....front end sounds solid...back end makes noise
sounds like a squeeky bed

so i checked my sway bar....checked my bushings.... looked at springs and struts.... everything looked good
until yesterday when i got my tires installed..... i got a chance to look at things from alot better angle and realized that my spring isnt sitting flush with my struts

you know how the springs go over your shocks....and you spin them clockwise so that the bottom of your spring sits flush on top of the strut?
one side is flush and looks perfect....while my drivers side isnt quiet rotated enough to catch that groove in the strut.

how can i fix this?
should i just take my tire off and try to manually grab the spring and rotate it clockwise until it sits flush with the strut? or will i need to look into taking my shocks off in order to fix this?

hopefully my description wasnt confusing....wish i had a camera with me at the time....
do you think this is the cause of my squeeky back end?

2006 PWP TSX, 6Spd, Nav, Ebony Interior

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 02:21:20 PM »

http://www.shiftice.com/images/strut_install/123_2352.jpg
Here is a picture of how it should look.... my spring is sitting on top of the groove and not in the groove (leaving a gap)

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »

My driver side rear is the same way Nick. It's not flush up against the groove, its maybe an inch away from it and whenever I go over a hard bump I'll hear it squeak. I tried to turn the spring while still connected to the strut and couldnt move it, might have to take the top hat off and turn it. Luckily I'm going to swap suspensions over tomorrow.
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »

FUCK !.....

not sure what i should do.... i dont wanna jam a bar in there and try to turn it if im risking bending a spring or something....
then again i dont have the tools/lift to take this shit apart right now...

how much force is on the spring while the ass end is off the ground?
makes sense to me that you might be able to turn it then.....but obviously not if you tried already

what to do what to do.....

slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »

Im not sure how much force is wound up with the ass end up in the air. I think it's still a good bit. I will say this, I didn't get all gungho and it and try my damndest to move it, so it might be possible.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »

I don't think you will be able to move the spring while it is under load. If you get your hands on a spring compresser you might be able to take a litte pressure off and turn it while still on the car.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
I don't think you will be able to move the spring while it is under load. If you get your hands on a spring compresser you might be able to take a litte pressure off and turn it while still on the car.

This would be the perfect spot to throw an "I'm with stupid" smiley. Seriously though, that sounds like the best course of action for you Nick.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »

interesting..... so i guess go to pep boys and get a spring compressor for like $15 (from what i remember) and compress them.....and try to spin them clockwise/counterclockwise while the back end is off the ground ?
should be able to sping them freely until they are flush and sitting on the struts correctly?

think i can just toss someone a $20 and have them do it at pep boys right now ?

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »

Maybe ask them. by squeezing the spring you are releasing the pressure from both the top and bottom it should be able to move.
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 05:02:59 PM »

FUCK pepboys.... they said $100 charge to spin my spring 6" clockwise..... pissed me off....
so much for tipping the asshole who did my tires and oil change yesterday....kid looked at me and laughed.... said to take it to the place that installed it 5 months ago and complain to them

might end up trying to rent the spring compressor and just do it myself

wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »

I would not have thought that a spring compressor would fit...

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »

usually you can rent a spring compressor for free.. at some places.. it's actually a lot less difficult than you're thinking it's going to be..  but like bill said, it may not fit.. so you may not be able to do it with the spring/strut still on the car.

-brian
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 02:44:25 PM »

yeah this looks like my first option...gonna shop around to where i can rent one
there arent any auto zones around here....and pep boys said they dont rent them.... so with a little searcing i should be able to take car of it

i dont think im in immediate danger.... hell its been 4+ months now and i just realized it

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012