Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 08:25:49 AM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Way past tranny fluid change interval  (Read 8747 times)
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »

Like I said, no room (someone buy shit in my FS thread) or time for this. I believe last time it was around $80 for Honda to do. I dont mind paying someone to do it,especially if it's Honda, if it saves me time on my back. $100 bucks is nothing in my eyes, if they do it right.  But like I said before, I wanted to make sure it was ok do it, esp with high miles on the current fluid.  :thumbup:
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »

60k doesn't sound too bad. If you had waited the 142k then I'd say it was a bad idea. yes its over the recommended interval but you should be okay. Just follow what everyone said especially replacing the filter. All else fails, you could always do a manual conversion. Now whether you do a 5spd conversion or 6 spd is up to you. Obviously, the 5spd is much cheaper.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 10:27:07 AM »

Here is what I would do and reccomend.

1) drain fluid, replace filter
2) fill with new fluid +1qt (yes over fill it)
3) with the car on jack stands and the rear wheels chocked start the car and run it thru all the gears to rinse out all the clutch packs and solinoids, doing it this way you do not have any load on the transmission other than the wheels themselves
4) drain the fluid
5) repeat 2,3,4
6) replace the filter again and fill to proper level with fluid

This will replace 90% of the fluid in the tranny and get any lose particles into the filter, this is why you are replacing the filter twice since the filter that is on there now is almost definatly bypassing the fluid and no longer filtering fluid, the second replacement is because the rinse out will kill that filter.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
slipkord
Veteran

slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 10:29:17 AM »

It's always shifted clean and smooth, but since I'm taking back ownership of it, I want to bring all maintenance items back up to date. Tranny fluid being my #1 concern.

I'll never sell this car so if the trans ever craps out, 6spd WILL be put in it's place. I'll call Tim/Skip to help with that (free room/board/beer) Smiley
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »

Now I'm just going off what I'm told by Honda. They said that our trans does NOT have a trans filter. I didnt specify an auto or manual. I'm not going to talk trash about the dealership, I'm keeping my mouth shut....Although they did say they can drain and replace the fluid for 80 bucks.
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »

I'll bad mouth them. We do have a filter. I think Jeff has changed his. Here is a picture:

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »

On high mileage transmissions, fluid change is a crap shoot because one has no way of knowing the extent of internal wear. When the old fluid gets burnt and worn out, the transmission experiences excessive internal wear, this causes the unit to heat up, heat causes the glue on the clutches to become brittle and to crystallize. When new fluid is introduced into the unit the high detergent aspect of the new fluid scrubs the old glue away from the back of the clutches rendering the transmission useless. Take it to the dealer, have them drop the pan to try to get a handle on the extent of internal wear then proceed from there.

Thanks for the pic Bill, crazy Honda service advisers....Above is a good example as to my previous questions. I guess I'll just have to drop the pan and see how bad it is....I would hate to have good intentions and a few hundred miles later my trans craps out.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »

Bill is correct. I replaced my tranny filter with a Magnefine one. The flow goes towards the firewall.

It's easy to do, just make sure you have some towels to catch any fluid still in the filter/hoses.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »

I'd follow Paul's and Brian's advice.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »

I'll give you my $0.05 based on my high mileage experience.  I have 170k miles and changed my tranny fluid twice.  1st at 70k and 2nd at 150k.  I have never used the Honda fluid, based on extensive research at the time, I found lower cost alternatives that lubricate and protect as least equal to the Honda fluid.  This is my 5th Honda and I've never paid the ridiculous price for Honda tranny fluid.  My previous Accord went over 200,000 miles and the tranny performed flawlessly.  Simple drain and fill.  Believe 3 drain and fills are detailed in the manual.  Most I've done is 2.  As the mileage increases I will increase the frequency of service.  Thats about it.

I wouldnt be worries about changing it now.  Your car will thank you!
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »

Thanks for the info Jason, much appreciated....But wait, *gasp* you didn't buy Honda fluid??
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »

Nope.  Options of 1 are never good options.  Second *gasp* ....  I've never changed the "filter".  Per Honda its not a serviceable part, so why spend the money when it wasn't designed to be changed?

**flame shield up**
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 05:49:24 PM »

LOL after seeing the filter that they pulled out when mine was rebuilt I would strongly suggest changing it.
hondaguy214

Reputation Power: 1
hondaguy214 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »

im not 100% on the whole thing about changing honda fluid. But i have flushed toyota transmissions with over 100k in them. haven't had any problems. if i was going to change it though. i would follow paul. with the process.

NECM SQUAD#6
stirfriedferret

Reputation Power: 2
stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »

I've never changed my filter... I didn't find it necessary. Although I'd stick to Honda ATF-Z1 because it has special additives for the transmission. I'm assuming its for better lubrication and keeping the temps lower for transmission longevity. In other words, if the manufacturer calls for it, I'm going to use it.  You can really mess parts up if you don't use what's recommended.

Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012