Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:07:58 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Economy Thread  (Read 64954 times)
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 01:47:23 AM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
You can do resistance test on your O2 sensors to check for proper operation.

Can you further elaborate on this procedure?
neoryan7

Reputation Power: 1
neoryan7 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 02:02:21 AM »

O2 sensors don't necessarily fail completely and at once. They can lose their efficiency/speed slowly that the ecu might not be able to detect it.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »

im not sure how many mileage you have on the car, but some poeple on here changed them at 100km. i have 103km and i changed them yesterday, and there was a noticeably improvement in performance. ill let you know if i notice an improvement in fuel economy. if you have over 100km it wouldn't hurt to change them

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »

What about weight?  Do you have anything heavy in your car or are you carrying around something new?  Did you get different wheels or tires?  I agree with Mike though.  Get an alignment done because that can definitely make a difference.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »

Quote from: "clapton924"
Quote from: "lavalleemike"
You can do resistance test on your O2 sensors to check for proper operation.

Can you further elaborate on this procedure?

Just pick up a Haynes manual at your local parts store it should be in there.
stirfriedferret

Reputation Power: 2
stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 01:22:57 PM »

Quote from: "fabulous010"
im not sure how many mileage you have on the car, but some poeple on here changed them at 100km. i have 103km and i changed them yesterday, and there was a noticeably improvement in performance. ill let you know if i notice an improvement in fuel economy. if you have over 100km it wouldn't hurt to change them

Keep me posted with that.  I'm at 103k miles so that may be a necessity.  I know my tech recommended the same thing for my mom's mdx.

Quote from: "timot_one"
What about weight?  Do you have anything heavy in your car or are you carrying around something new?  Did you get different wheels or tires?  I agree with Mike though.  Get an alignment done because that can definitely make a difference.

I have nothing in my car.  Literally.  Only me and a backpack.  I still have my work emotions, not much different from my old 5zigens.  I used to get good gas mileage with the same setup back then.

Althoughhhhhh something may have come up.  Before, my car used to make this weird noise from the front left wheel hub.  It's not a grinding or a clicking noise, but a sort of metal on metal clicking sound.  It's constant.  Doesn't matter whether or not I'm turning.  As long as the wheel is turning, it makes the noise.  I also have another noise, which may be associated with this.  When I'm driving at highway speeds and I'm making a sweeping right turn, the front left tire hums...  But only when turning.  It makes the same noise when I'm turning left, but not as much.  It's the signs of a bad wheel bearing and I know it's not good to keep driving with it.  Any ideas on whether or not that can cause poor fuel economy?  Also, has anyone had a wheel bearing go bad on them?

fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 10:00:32 PM »

to check if your wheel hub, simply lift your car and check for play in the wheel. your wheel shouldnt have any play when you try to move it up and down. also if you have a nail in your tire it could cause your tire to click. check to see if you have anything in your tire

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »

A bad wheel bearing could be the culprit also Brian.  I had to replace a rear wheel bearing a few years ago when I lost it on an icy road and went into a small snow bank sideways.  You should be able to pull it off man.  It's not impossible to do.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
stirfriedferret

stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 10:58:34 PM »

Quote from: "fabulous010"
to check if your wheel hub, simply lift your car and check for play in the wheel. your wheel shouldnt have any play when you try to move it up and down. also if you have a nail in your tire it could cause your tire to click. check to see if you have anything in your tire

There's no play in the wheel.  Just noise.  But the wheel bearing is bad.  I know it.

A bad wheel bearing could be the culprit also Brian.  I had to replace a rear wheel bearing a few years ago when I lost it on an icy road and went into a small snow bank sideways.  You should be able to pull it off man.  It's not impossible to do.

Yeah, I figured it could be an issue too.  I'm just thinking that a front wheel bearing could be more difficult to do than a rear wheel bearing.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 11:22:02 PM »

Are the wheels and the same size and weight as the old ones?

Tim
stirfriedferret

stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 12:23:59 AM »

They'ye maybe 1lb heavier.  Definitely lighter than oe.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »

Tires also?

Tim
stirfriedferret

stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »

Same size as my first set of aftermarket wheels when I used to get good gas mileage.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »

I'm being nit picky about the weight.  Certain wheels and tires may be the exact same size, but a completely different weight.  Have you done an alignment yet?

Tim
stirfriedferret

stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 08:59:58 PM »

I'm being nit picky about the weight.  Certain wheels and tires may be the exact same size, but a completely different weight.  Have you done an alignment yet?

I have not...  I'm going to get that done first thing tomorrow.  I'll probably find the spec sheet to be super ridiculous.

Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012