Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:44:16 AM
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Change Your Spark Plugs  (Read 20276 times)
rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »

yeah i found that there were gains to be seen, and on a tuned engine there were better gains (compared a stock C6 Corvette to a C6 Corvette with heads and cams). the tuned Corvette produced better gains than the stock, but the stock C6 had a nasty spark noise or something with the Pulstars in it. here's the page for that forum: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-tech ... -test.html

but i did also see a share of bad reviews, here are two from Amazon.com

"i tried these plugs thinking it may work well for my Honda Accord. the car ran very rough after installing, i did not drop any plugs upon installation, but my car sure was missing. i had to pull them and replace them with the old plugs until my order for the NGK's came in. i called the manufacturer to ask if the packing they were sent in was adequate since they make a big deal out of not dropping them and i was told that was normal for them to be shipped in the plastic twin packs. the gap was correct, i can not explain why they were so bad. the way my car ran if seemed as if atleast two plugs were bad, it would barely run. good luck if you decide to get them, the NGK's (factory replaements) are great by the way." -David A. Barrows (from Amazon.com)

"2006 Acura RSX-Type S, 2.0l I-VTEC 4cyl. I followed all instructions, they installed fine, started engine and the plugs immediately threw a CEL. Engine idle timing dropped to 150RPM, car sputtered and stalled, big puff of black smoke from the tailpipe. Started up again, same issue, jumped on the gas and attempted to drive around the block. Stalled twice, idle would not go above 1000RPM (engine has a 7900RPM rev limit). Immediately took them out, replaced with stock IR Denso, which my car was grateful for. All better now, but I don't know what the heck these plugs did. They did not work at all in my car." -jdbtx (from Amazon.com)

after reading these i decided to stick with the stock plugs. i mean it could be worth it, but im not putting plugs into my car that could potentially mess it up.
ROLO

Reputation Power: 8
ROLO pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »

Quote from: "Sworkhard"
Quote from: "ROLO"
Some photos would be helpfull.. I have been dying to do this myself...  good write up JDM guru..

Huh?.  His article is full of photos.

Must be blocked here in my office.. thanks for the heads up.
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »

So after reading this and a few other threads, does anyone have a preference based on value and performance in regards to which plugs are the best to get for an i4?  I'm going to be purchasing some new plugs soon, and it seems that it's a toss-up between the NGK Iridiums and the Denso Iridiums, both of which I assume are considered OEM replacements (although maybe only the NGKs are).  Thoughts?

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »

Denso and NGK are OEM depending on when and where your vehicle was assembled.  Either one will be fine for you to use.  One of the tuners I went to previously was saying that OEM RSX Type S plugs were the best to use on K Series motors.  For 99% of the people on here, OEM replacements will be the best plugs to use. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »

RSX Type-S plugs??  Do elaborate (even though I'll prolly just stick with the NGK's or Denso's anyway, but I'm a curious person by nature).

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 11:37:35 PM »

For whatever reason they were trying to convince me they were the best plugs to use for a "built" motor.  They were also trying to rip me off on the price.  Honestly, you don't need anything more than OEM plugs.  Let's just leave it at that.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »

2 year thread bump!

Just thought I'd post a pic of the old vs. new plugs for reference.

It's hard to see, but the tips look kind of like the OP's, but the very end is like black. They're the original spark plugs, and have 97k miles on them. I'll get a closer shot of the tips tonight.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:56:12 PM by Jeff » Logged

Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012