Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:03:58 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini help  (Read 4366 times)
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »

Need some help from you guys with more advanced car experience.  My girlfriend drives a '06 Mini (automatic base model)...and I think something is wrong with the engine.  At low speeds (under 20mph) letting the car coast with my foot of the gas, the car will rhythmically pulse or jerk forward...its fairly violent.  Car drives fine at high speeds, and the problem seems to worsen in cold weather.  I guess it also sort of feels like the idle is messed up...like the engine is almost wanting to stall out.  

I searched through all the Mini forums I could find with no luck.  

Thanks
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »

Generally a jerk feeling is more related to transmission. Is there any change in RPM's when this happens?
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:44:33 PM »

Could you give us more information on the car. What size motor, mileage, etc. etc.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:19:40 AM »

It has a 1.6l I4.....around 36K miles.  Automatic transmission.....um what else would be helpful?
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »

Hmm, I don't think it would be a transmission issue. Most European cars has a sealed tranny, and I highly doubt a tranny would be going out at 36k miles. What are the factory scheduled maintenance around the 30k area? I know certain 4 cylinder european cars call for a tune up (spark plugs). This is a very odd situation and it is kind of hard for me to diagnose without the car being in front of me.
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 01:04:55 AM »

Possibly a dirty MAF sensor..

- Mark
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »

I know this is fairly obvious, but I figured I would ask.  Have you taken it to a mechanic to have them look at it?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 12:27:24 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
I know this is fairly obvious, but I figured I would ask.  Have you taken it to a mechanic to have them look at it?

Not yet.  The car is still under warranty.  I'm planning on taking it in for service soon.....I just like to have sort of an idea of what the potential problems may be when I'm dealing with service shops.

Talk about ridiculous!.....try to find a Mini dealer in the deep south! Closest one is in Baton Rouge, which is about 1 hour away.
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 12:40:20 PM »

If it's under warranty what have you got to lose? Drive an hour, drop it off at the dealership and tell them what it's doing and to fix it. End of story.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »

Quote from: "slipkord"
If it's under warranty what have you got to lose? Drive an hour, drop it off at the dealership and tell them what it's doing and to fix it. End of story.

Thanks for the obvious Smiley
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »

No problem, and that's Captain Obvious to you!
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:47:38 AM »

Any news Greg?  I'd probably try calling the service department of the dealership first, since it's so far away.  Maybe they can give you an idea of what's causing your problem, if it needs to come in right away, or how long the repair may take.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »

Have you resolved this?  A friend of mine works at the Mini plant in England and i can ask him if he knows anything.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »

Have not figured this out yet.  Slipkord has a friend that works on BMW/Mini's and he thought it might be a vacuum leak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012