Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:13:16 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with stuck Tein SS perch  (Read 13678 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »

So I tried to drop the car today now that the summer wheels are on.  The passenger side rear coilover perch that the spring sits on is stuck.  So far I've tried WD-40, PB Blaster soaked overnight, and brake cleaner, but still no luck.  Tim, I know you gave me a few good ideas (try to screw the perch upward; use both wrenches and a ratchet for more leverage), but that didn't work either.  I've pulled plenty of muscles today trying to get this thing to move.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Right now this coilover is sitting 2 threads higher than the rest and I don't know if this will have any ill-effects on the tires.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »

I remember Tim telling me the other night when I was at his house that he had to use an air hammer to knock the perches loose on the front after he broke a spanner wrench. He hasn't been able to do anything with the rears because they're stuck as well. So as it stands, his fronts are the only adjustable struts. He'll be able to elaborate more on  htis. But I think he also went through the same shit you did, but with less luck.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Slammedk24

Reputation Power: 1
Slammedk24 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »

My rear perches are stuck on my nex coilovers,  In oreder to break my fronts I jsut took them out and put them in the vise and put a cheather bar on the spanner wrench.  Im just hoping the rear will break loose to so I can slam it.  I keep putting it off cause I think the rears a pain in the ass the front only takes like 15 min a side.

Tory
"Low and Slow"
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 01:22:34 AM »

I wonder why the rears always seems to be the ones that get stuck more often?  Must be all the junk that reaches the upper part of the wheel wells.  I'ma be pissed if I have to resort to removing the coilover in order to get it to move.  I'll try and see if I can get someone with a garage and air tools to go to town on it.  The spanner wrenches just aren't gonna do the trick.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:19:37 AM »

Yeah man.  I wish I had other advice.  I went through some bullshit a few weeks ago with my passenger side front perch.  I really need to pull out my rears to have them taken care of.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »

Don't know if it will help at all Dave but, i'm a really big guy... I'd be willing to see if I could get it to move for you. I can't be held responsible for broken spanner wrenchs though. Why do they not use a silicone or anit sieze coating on the threads?
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »

That would make sense, wouldn't it?  I had this same fucking discussion with Tein a year ago.  For whatever reason, all of the coilovers made by Tein for our cars do not have teflon coated threads.  That means you would have to buy a higher quality (and more expensive) coil over made for the TSX to get teflon coated threads and then void the warranty by installing it on your Accord.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Slammedk24

Reputation Power: 1
Slammedk24 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:20:41 PM »

I had thought about spraying a silicone on them but then all the dirt would stick to worse so i decided not to it.  I just decided that im going to jack the car up spray the threads with wd-40 every month

Tory
"Low and Slow"
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 10:20:47 PM »

You're better off just using anti-seize lube and keeping and eye on them to make sure they stay clean.  Proper maintenance is key.  It's hard to do when you live in an area with shitty winters.

Tim
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 01:18:07 AM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Don't know if it will help at all Dave but, i'm a really big guy... I'd be willing to see if I could get it to move for you. I can't be held responsible for broken spanner wrenchs though. Why do they not use a silicone or anit sieze coating on the threads?

Mike, you can always give it a try on Saturday if you want.  I wouldn't worry about broken wrenches... Tim busted his because apparently the Tein Basics come with a crappy wrench while my SS's and the SS-P's come with beefier ones that seem impossible to break.  If anything, I'd be more worried about breaking your finger or your wrist (my knuckles are F'd up from slamming the inner part of the wheel well about 20 times).  I'ma try one more time to get it to budge tomorrow now that it's been soaking in PB Blaster and brake cleaner for a few days, but it's prolly still gonna be stuck.

And yup, blame winter for this one.  Sick of it.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 09:12:55 AM »

I'll give it a try.. Can't hut to try once or twice.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »

Good news.  I beasted on the coilover and actually got it to budge today.  After letting the threads soak with PB Blaster and brake cleaner since Saturday, I was pulling with the wrenches and a socket wrench, and the perch slowly started to move a couple centimeters at a time, and then it got easier and easier to unscrew.  Needless to say, the rear threads are now soaked in PB Blaster and anti-seize slime.  Hopefully this helps to avoid running into this problem again.  Still, when I go to Firestone on Friday for my alignment, I'm gonna see if they can do anything to treat the threads for me.  Thanks for the help guys.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 12:15:29 AM »

Maybe I should try that with my rear suspension.  I really want to lower the back end of my car some more.

Tim
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 02:10:56 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
Maybe I should try that with my rear suspension.  I really want to lower the back end of my car some more.

Maybe we can try tomorrow?  Tein was real helpful with their e-mail replies.  You can send them any stuck coils and they'll fix them for $25/each labor, but parts are another story.  And sure enough, the Basics and SS's have steel threads, but the higher-end stuff is teflon coated.  Constant maintenance is thus key to making sure that the spring seats don't jam up, especially if you live in snowy climates.

Asim

Reputation Power: 5
Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 02:16:41 PM »

Quote from: "striktlyaccord"
Quote from: "timot_one"

Maybe we can try tomorrow?  Tein was real helpful with their e-mail replies.  You can send them any stuck coils and they'll fix them for $25/each labor, but parts are another story.  And sure enough, the Basics and SS's have steel threads, but the higher-end stuff is teflon coated.  Constant maintenance is thus key to making sure that the spring seats don't jam up, especially if you live in snowy climates.

Are you referring to the knob to adjust the height?
I was thinking about basics but winters in Canada suck... this is making me think twice :o

A S I M O
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012