Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:57:44 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye EGR.....  (Read 7625 times)
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »

Well, not exactly, but damn close enough. As we all know the EGR system robs some power by injesting hot/dirty exhaust gases directly back into the intake. We can't remove the valve without throwing a code and we can't block it without throwing a code. If we block it the ECU throws a "Isufficent Flow" code as well as the ODB emissions monitor will show error since the ECU actually detects the lean out caused by the EGR opening and flowing exhaust back, and this is the key, the ECU does not care weather it is hot exhaust or cold/clean intake air. So I decedied to machine out a EGR Bypass Adaptor that allows us to connect eaither a breather filter or a hose connected back to the breather fitting on the intake. I just came back from a 50+ mile test drive with no codes thrown and for good mesure before I left on the drive I reset my ECU and emmissions monitors after the drive I checked and the EGR emissions monitor was happy with the bypass, so this will not effect passing emissions, and probably will pass visual if you hook a hose back into the intake.

Thanks to Shonda for jogging my brain and getting me to think of this.........

This will also work for 6th gens and K-series although the bypass connection is in a different place for Ks......

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:21:18 PM »

Good thinking man some of the stuff you come up with makes me shake my head. Keep up the wonderful work that you are doing for this community!
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »

Awesome work Paul. Might have to have you make me one.
suleman_manji

Reputation Power: 3
suleman_manji pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:01:50 PM »

you're a genius... i may fiddle with this tomorrow lol.

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"
Awesome work Paul. Might have to have you make me one.

Can do, I figured $100 with correct legnth bolts and new EGR valve gaskets.....

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:53:20 PM »

I may have to get one of those from you also.  We will have an EGR discussion in due time though.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 05:37:23 PM »

I'm going to have to see this in person on saturday.. very very interesting..

-brian
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 11:27:21 AM »

smart thinking to keep the intake air as clean as possible

J u s t i n
stirfriedferret

Reputation Power: 2
stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »

Just thought I'd share some of what I've learned at school.  The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) device is actually an emissions controls device.  It is designed to recirculate exhaust gas into the cylinder so that combustion chamber temperatures don't get too hot. (If they do get too hot, NOx [oxides of nitrous] are formed which, mixed with hydrocarbons and sunlight, produce smog).  The EGR ONLY (I emphasize ONLY) works during part throttle and deceleration.  It does not open AT ALL during wide open throttle. So, my point is, I don't see why you'd try to disable the EGR as it only works when you don't really need all the power anyways. Plus, you're not really opening up any extra power that your EGR was holding back; just go wide open throttle. Smiley And on top of that, you're killing furry rabbits (not that I'm a tree hugger).  Just some input for you guys. I'm not against disabling the EGR, but I don't see a point in doing so.  And I do believe that you :may: fail emissions if you have done this modification. Especially if they test your car on a dyno under a load (which I know they do). Just my .02 cents.

NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »

^ Actually......

Cylinder tamps are kept about the same since we are using cool air to replace the hot exahust gas normally used, if cylinder temp were going up any real mesuarable amount there would also be a coresponding amount of timing pulled by the ECU to prevent dtonation, there has been no change reported by the ECU during my partial throttel driving I still see the usesual 15D-18D.
I have found my partial throttle to be more responsive and do not need to use as much to pull out.
Gas milage has not changed enough to even be noticed.
Most states do not dyno ODBii vehicles, they just hook up and check the ODB IM monitors, which I have reset several times now and has always come back clean and ready.

And finally in the end you probably end up with better gas milage long term and definatly longer engine life since you are no longer introducing all the exhaust carbon back into the engine........

AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 09:35:51 AM »

now i see how it work. me and Brett couldnt figure out what was the benefit couple weeks back

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Fenix

Reputation Power: 4
Fenix pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 12:10:11 PM »

this seems like a cool little mod, too bad im done modding the accord.

Quote from: timot_one
I'll let you guys know that I can only tolerate so much douchebaggery
mitchigan

Reputation Power: 1
mitchigan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 03:34:24 PM »

Paul,

Shouldn't the ECM be modified too? I thought the EGR is tuned to run with the ECM, so if the EGR is bypassed wouldnt timing be off when the ECM sends pulses to the EGR??? I dont know....

CM66 Taffeta White J30A4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012