Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:31:06 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Overinflation  (Read 5931 times)
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »

Last year I had to replace a pair of rear tires due to camber wear.  I have a camber kit and I get my wheels aligned at least once a year if not every 6 months.  During the year I experimented with different tire pressures....at one point going up to around 39 psi on all 4 corners.  On cars with a natural negative rear camber...wouldn't upping the tire pressure decrease the amount of tire touching the road? Possibly increasing the chances of irregular tire wear?

I know our oem rear pressure spec is 30psi.  At what point is a tire considered overinflated? Is it when you exceed the max psi value printed on the tire? Or is this a more complicated issue?

Thien I am looking at you  :grin:
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »

depends on your definition of overinflation... I would call it max psi, but at the same time, I wouldn't suggest riding around daily with that. I think our tires are rated 32, but I usually run them around 35 all around

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:43:15 AM »

Everyone has a different definition of over inflation. Some tire guys will say different from others. Yes, you are correct Greg when you add more air. When you add more air, you are stiffening the tires. Stiffening the tires will make the ride more harsh, and it will make the tire's contact point to the road decrease. Certain tires are made soft or hard to make gripping better. On certain tires and cars, over inflating passed 10psi over what the vehicles place card can cause tire wear. Since our vehicles call for (on cars equipped with a 195/65 R15 or 205/65 R15 will call for 30psi, 205/60 R16 or 215/50 R17 call for 32psi in the front and 30psi in the rear) roughly around 30-32 psi, I suggest not excedding passed 40psi. I would keep it around 32-35psi for daily driving. I myself keep my tires at 35psi.
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 02:50:34 AM »

forgot to add, the only time I went over 35 was when I was autoxing and I put it at max (i think its 50)...I had some mad tire wear around the edges on the outside, but not on the inside...i'm thinking that had more to do with the tire rolling when I ran at a lower psi

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:59:36 PM »

You guys are talking about stock wheel and tires. What about aftermarket, especially when we've increased rim and tire size? Obviously you cant go by what the manual or sticker on the car says because they're talking about a 16" wheel and tire.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »

I go by what's recommended by the tire manufacturer with aftermarket wheels.  I normally stay at about 32-35 PSI for normal driving and go up to about 40 PSI for long highway trips to get better MPG.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Abailey4

Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
I go by what's recommended by the tire manufacturer with aftermarket wheels.  I normally stay at about 32-35 PSI for normal driving and go up to about 40 PSI for long highway trips to get better MPG.

I probably havent looked hard enough, actually I know I havent but I've only seen the max psi on the sidewall of my tires. I usually keep em at 33-34 anyway though. Guess I'll give Dunlop a call if I cant find it on the tire.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:03:06 PM »

Thein, correct me if I am wrong...but isn't tire psi largely based on the weight of a vehicle or static load on the tire?  For instance our oem front tires are 32psi and rear is 30 psi...I assume the +2psi in the front is to compensate for the weight of the engine up front.

So for instance, if you put OEM TL wheels on your accord...the OEM psi specs are tuned to the weight of a TL not an accord.  I would think the oem tire psi would be best for all tires and wheels....aftermarket or not.
Abailey4

Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »

Quote from: "clapton924"
Thien, correct me if I am wrong...but isn't tire psi largely based on the weight of a vehicle or static load on the tire?  For instance our oem front tires are 32psi and rear is 30 psi...I assume the +2psi in the front is to compensate for the weight of the engine up front.

So for instance, if you put OEM TL wheels on your accord...the OEM psi specs are tuned to the weight of a TL not an accord.  I would think the oem tire psi would be best for all tires and wheels....aftermarket or not.

fixed! Before Thien thrashes you. LOL!!!

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 12:27:56 PM »

Quote from: "Abailey4"

?
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »

?

Thien gets pretty pissed about people fucking up his name. That's why his user name is MyNameIsThien.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Abailey4

Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »

?

I changed how you spelled his name and bolded it for you.  Funny thing is I just looked at your original post and you spelled it right the first time. LOL!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:40:49 PM by Abailey4 » Logged

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »

I before E except after C
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »

:twisted:
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"

Now, back to Greg. This is a for-warning to all. Next person who spells my name wrong will be banned.  :twisted:

I blame it on late night posting! lol
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012