Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:31:56 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My K Series Is Losing Oil Thread  (Read 30884 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 08:32:24 AM »

Quote from: "alpha"
If you're not losing the oil, then my first guess would be an oil pressure issue.

From the conversation I had with Milan last night, he seems to be losing oil and having oil pressure issues.  It doesn't seem to be as bad as mine was, but I'm pretty sure it will be soon.

Quote from: "NVA-AV6"
Exhaust cam is toast and the oil is going somewhere, I would have to imagine it is being burnt, now the question is are the valve steam seals gone or are the rings, get a compression test.

When I had this problem with my old motor, I did a compression test and everything checked out and was within spec.  What would tell you it was the valve stem seals or the rings?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »

Well first off if compression is good then I would be looking at valve stem seals, if there were compression issues I would then dump a drinking straw full of oil in the cylinder and recheck the compression, if it raises then it is rings where the oil woul create a semi seal to allow more compression, the it stays low then we are looking at a valve issue. Now to confirm the valve stem seal pull of the intake and exhaust manis and look at the valves for sighns of oil leaking down them, espacially the intake valves. The exhaust cam looks like it was oil starved which would lead to the lobe failure shown in the pics so I woild also look at the oil pressure real close, Milan is already using a 10-30 which is a good thing, but what you want to see is at full engine operating tempeature a reading of at least 12PSI of oil pressure, at least on low milage V6 engines with 5W20 oil I have seen oil pressures all the way down to 5PSI.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
asnstyle22
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
asnstyle22 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »

what is considerd a good compression test? is it as long as all 4 cylinders have similar readings then its good? or do we have to calculate compresion of our piston x atm and make sure our compression is atually at that compression?

also, what is considered an unreasonable amount of oil lost? i think im losing like 1-2 quarts every 3 months, should i be worried? running on 5w30
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 03:43:49 PM »

I have the specs somewhere for compression on a K24.  I'll try and post them later tonight if I have a chance.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

Look guys I am just some backyard mechanic who knows absolutly nothing about engines, but if it were me I would be running 10W30 in mine, which I am.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »

You have a J30.  What would you run in my K24A2?  10W30 also?

Tim
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
You have a J30.  What would you run in my K24A2?  10W30 also?

I use 10W30 in my K24... I was told it is meant for high mileage, im only at 94K right now... 5W30 as recommended on the oem oil cap I was told is basically for low mileage.  :think:

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »

Yes, 10W30

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 09:31:17 PM »

Billy, your oil cap should say 5W20, not 5W30.  Paul, I'll give that a try with my next oil change.  I've been using 5W30 dino oil since I've gotten this motor.  When we put it in, it still had the break in oil.

Tim
Accord1234

Reputation Power: 1
Accord1234 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 12:12:24 AM »

Even with higher milage 10w-30 is much thicker then the 5w-20 the K24 is supposed to be using. I use 5w-20 still in the summer and 0w-20 in the winter for better flow when its cold. The higer the number the thicker viscosity. If you needed to go thicker then maybe 5w-30. Try to keep the first number lower then a 10. Thats why almost all the newer cars stopped using 10w30 and 10w40 weight oils.
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
Billy, your oil cap should say 5W20, not 5W30.
Your right it does,  :thumbup:

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 07:42:44 AM »

i use the 10w30 on my k24a2

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
Evolved1

BANNED

Evolved1 is looked down upon.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »

I know this probably isn't the right section, but I wanted more than one reply haha. I know the k2x motors use a lot of oil but does this seem common? About 2800 miles into my oil change, the oil light will flash and the car is a dog and I assume there isn't much oil pressure, but as soon as i put more oil in it, it is fine Cheesy Any ideas? Im afraid im gonna blow this bitch to peices, but I continue raping it and have yet to hurt the motor, 1 tranny, 4 motor mounts, 2 tranny mounts, 4 cd changers, and a crank shaft pulley, all have been replaced due to wheel hop Huh? Cheesy
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »

First of all I moved this to the right section which should have been easy enough to figure out! If your driving your car that hard on a regualr basis and expecting it to last your crazy, and if your losing that much oil there is a serious problem with your engine. No leaks? That't an awful lot of oil to burn. Also why on earth would you wait until the oil light flashes. I would be checking my oil daily if it was disappearing like it is in your car. I'd get it checked out right away before your looking to buy a motor.
Evolved1

BANNED

Evolved1 is looked down upon.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »

If it blows up I will crash it into a tree, there are simple way's around this. Lol. I change my oil every 3000 miles and there are no leaks or anything. I ripped all the interior out and took the exhaust off and ran a 15.3@90 Bone stock, 4cyl 5speed 4dr.. That was when I broke the crank shaft pulley and it leaked all the oil out. But they warrantied it and its been fine ever since, just uses a lil bit of oil.. Guess I will install a oil pressure guage and see whats going on.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012