Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:18:20 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [REQUEST] Big 3 upgrade  (Read 18611 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »

Well, you could get rid of your a/c compressor.  When your a/c compressor clutch kicks in, it puts a load on the engine, lowering the RPM's for a second and reducing the output voltage of the alternator.  You could use a voltage stabilizer (a.k.a. - bank of capacitors) to reduce changes in voltage, but I haven't noticed much of a difference with mine.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Paulius005

Reputation Power: 8
Paulius005 pfffft.
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 06:47:40 PM »

I like my A/C. I guess I have a few electrical upgrades I should do...

Are you talking about these:
http://www.nengun.com/buddy-club/racing-spec-condenser
http://www.nengun.com/pivot/raizin-volt-stabilizer-blue

Or actual capacitors?

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »

you don't need actual capacitors Any of those will be good depending how much you looking to spend  since basically there also capacitors

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

Well, those voltage stabilizers are just a bank of capacitors with a grounding kit.  There's no need to add a capacitor though.  I have the Buddy Club racing spec condenser, but haven't noticed a difference from before I had it.  I guess you could try a small capacitor between the alternator and battery, but I'm pretty sure it won't make much of a difference.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
cna

cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 03:48:47 PM »

Heres how i did mines but i didt take the blot off the alternator i slice the wire closest i could to the connection  taped it as good as i could then i ran the wire to a cap with 100amp fuse to my (+) battery terminal this setup is temporary i will be getting a distribution block to run another to a amp&sub

amp wiring kit

the red wire runs  trough the gray one and taped it off i took a lot of the red covering off to get it to fit stock looking

fused it n bamm all done

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »

Clemente, do you still have the factory wire hooked to your alternator? If you do, your asking for problems, i.e. a fire, if you leave it like that. The idea is to replace the cable going to your alternator. Not add to it.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
cna

cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »

there both hooked up so i guess ill have to just remove the factory one and leave the new one just directly to the battery?

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 04:04:44 PM »

Pretty much. Put a new terminal on the end of the cable you have taped to the factory cable and hook that up to the alternator as well as the battery side. Personally, I wouldn't leave the factory cable just hanging there. I'd remove it completely.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
cna

cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 04:09:21 PM »

Iight am doing it now thank for the tip

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »

The idea is to add an additional wire actually.  You're basically just reducing the resistance for current to flow from your alternator to your battery.  Slicing your OEM wiring harness is a BAD idea.  Only using electrical tape, water WILL get in and over time the conductor will corrode and will eventually create an open.  You want to take the wire, add a ring terminal to that, bolt it to the terminal on your alternator.   Splicing the wire is just asking for trouble.  I bet that was a motherfucker to solder.  You did solder it, right?

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 05:32:57 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
The idea is to add an additional wire actually.  You're basically just reducing the resistance for current to flow from your alternator to your battery.  Slicing your OEM wiring harness is a BAD idea.  Only using electrical tape, water WILL get in and over time the conductor will corrode and will eventually create an open.  You want to take the wire, add a ring terminal to that, bolt it to the terminal on your alternator.   Splicing the wire is just asking for trouble.  I bet that was a motherfucker to solder.  You did solder it, right?

Ok. Well, I stand corrected. From the way he has it hooked up, I'd much rather replace the cable. Learn something new everyday.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »

The way it's been explained to me, is that you're just adding another path for current to flow.  A 4 gauge and an 8 gauge cable of equal length will have less total resistance than a 4 gauge cable alone.

Tim
cna

cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 05:56:23 PM »

soo i i keep both wires ill set it up that way and yes i solider the ends of the new terminal

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
The way it's been explained to me, is that you're just adding another path for current to flow.  A 4 gauge and an 8 gauge cable of equal length will have less total resistance than a 4 gauge cable alone.

True. But current also chooses the path of least resistance. Therefore, theoretically, the 8 gauge wire wouldn't see much current if any due to the current going down the 4 gauge cable.

Clemente, go with what Tim is saying. The way you had it before looked too damn dangerous to me and defeated the purpose.

cna

cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »

so i set it up the way timot_one said n solder the wires to gold terminal also taped it up, also customize the stock rubber piece that protects the connection to fit the wires    i will see how it holds up tonight on my way to work ill see if i notice any difference

Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012