Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:50:17 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the ECU options for the V6?  (Read 23378 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

I just hope the aftermarket industry sees that there is a market for a J Series tuning option that is greater than what is currently available. That's the one thing that would convince me to build a J to swap into an EK or DC2.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
mschumacher
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
mschumacher pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »

Paul, if you can get the Series 2 EMS to be compatible with this engine, that would be great too.

How forthcoming are they about this?
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »

I just hope the aftermarket industry sees that there is a market for a J Series tuning option that is greater than what is currently available. That's the one thing that would convince me to build a J to swap into an EK or DC2.

I have been waiting for 5 years now. I wish people would see that there is nothing else out there that can touch the Js power to weight ratio.......

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
Fanitron

Reputation Power: 3
Fanitron pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

I have zero knowledge in the ECU department but this thread has been going on in V6P and I thought you guys might like to take a look at it (if you haven't already) to see if it's feasible or worthwhile. The guy working on it has already posted some maps of early tuning, but obviously I have no clue what I'm looking at  Cheesy

http://v6performance.net/forums/7g-performance-discussion/215581-reasonably-priced-piggyback-feeler-5.html#post2007436
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »

Without knowing more details about what he is connecting to and controlling I can't say yet but I am watching it as it does show promise.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »

I have been waiting for 5 years now. I wish people would see that there is nothing else out there that can touch the Js power to weight ratio.......

I'm going to start looking for a shell.  Hopefully there will be a good tuning option by the time I'm ready to fire up the J Swap in it.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »

looks promising j series motors have potential

NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 07:36:31 AM »

Case in point, a J36 in a 03 CLS-MT with a 80mm tb untuned. He has always used the same land sea dyno to track his mods and gains including a baseline that was right in line with factory specs. His last run put his car at 316WHP and 289WTQ. Now lets add 15% to translate to crank HP/TQ, So we have 363CHP and 332CTQ. That means that a built J can achieve 100HP per liter and the part I really like 1HP per LB of weight since a fully dressed J weighs in at 350ish lbs..........

Fanitron

Reputation Power: 3
Fanitron pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 07:53:49 AM »

^ Jaw Dropper!
mschumacher
Fucking Newb

mschumacher pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »

Is the 15% transmission loss measured by putting the engine on an engine dyno?

We've had some transmissions that caused about 25% loss, though not the J series transmissions. The engine wasn't put on an engine dyno but certain dynos can measure transmission loss after the test is done and the wheels are allowed to coast on the roller.

If you account for 20% transmission loss, that figure would be even larger.

The sad thing is the lack of good tunes since there's no support for it. We once picked up about 40hp in a day's work of tuning the ECU. Admittedly this was a D15 Honda engine, but we went from 142whp to 183 whp in a matter of hours. That was a gain of 28% just with a tune. Now admittedly, that was a freak engine and the initial tune was conservative, but I'd expect atleast another 20-25 whp to be freed up with a good street tune, and atleast 30+ whp if tuned on a dyno.
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »

15% is about standard for a MT, 25% is about standard for a AT.

mschumacher
Fucking Newb

mschumacher pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »

15% is about standard for a MT, 25% is about standard for a AT.

That's what we thought too. It was an MT Honda tranny btw. You'd be surprised at the transmission losses on some cars. My point being that it's pointless to take transmission losses into account. Variances like stiffer pressure plates, clutch plate material, the state of the flywheel are just a few things that can increase or decrease transmission losses.

Since that day, we stopped trying to get a hypothetical hp/tq number at the engine and stuck to comparing numbers at the wheels.
3.Slow6MT
Fucking Newb

3.Slow6MT pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »

Paul, wasn't that specific J36 running rich as a pig up top as well?

And the 8G ECU is reflashable...how 'easily' can this be wired and fitted? Thank God the 6MT didn't come with the VCM or we'd be in trouble...other than that?

2006 ASM 6-6 Coupe
4" CAI/Full 3" exhaust/3.7 IM & TB/Runners/Pulley
272/225 SAE Dynojet
Best Pass - 13.46 @106.66 - Atco Raceway
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »

Yes it was, about 11:1 AFR which means leaving a good 20WHP on the table.....

I looked at the wiring differences a while back and I don't remember there being any "wierd" siganls that have to be worked out, just very different connectors so two different extension harnesses (about $330 worth) would have to be purchased to make a conversion harness.

Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012