Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:57:32 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neutral Safety switch (custom made) Test and trials  (Read 3552 times)
hightechredneck
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
hightechredneck pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »

Hello all,

So I know Im new but I mentioned this in another thread and it got some interest so I am going to post a quick blurb about it.

*****FIRST OF ALL LIKE ALL OTHER MODS PERFORM THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK*****

So I dont usually park my car in gear, but there could eb a time that the shifter gets knocked, or if someone else parks it, or a situation arose that the Ebrake would not hold (ie a hill, etc. ) So I went to the internet to search for ways to create a NSS (neutral safety switch) . The design I found was extremely simple,  just glue a magnet to your shifter and use a reed switch either N/O or N/C (Normally open or normally closed) and use relays to create the signal, which could tie into the alarm to a number of trigger wires, but the one I was targeting was the hood pin switch, which will not allow the alarm to start or even engage on most alarms. I had thought about using the brake, but using a diode so the lights were not on and relaying on another component for not failing was not desirable.

The simplistic design of the magnetic idea was the ticket, but crude. So I decided to learn a bit about high powered  magnets. My first idea was to use a cyllinder magnet and just slide it down the shaft, and glue it in place..... except for the indentation that would have to be sanded off, and then allow the stock boot to fall this was ok, but a no go. So then it dawned on me.... RC cars have motors that are pieces, that go together to form a circle. So I searched Ebay and found a decent one I think it was somewhere between 7 and 15 bucks? (over a year ago)  The design allowed for 2 things, to not modify the shaft, and the magnets stuck to themselves, and also to the shifter, making glue not needed. So here is how it works, the magnets form together in a certain order (this is important)
 because they have a special positive and special negative end when they come together it is very difficult to get them apart, and they also combine magnetic properties to create a circular field. (invisible of course)

When the final adjustments were made, the shifter closes the connection causing the tester to chime. when it is in neutral, there is no interference.

This is how it ended up coming together. The magnets were slightly larger so that is why there is an opening at the back, but this proved helpful in dialing in the sensitivity.

Im hoping the video shows, but here is how it works, when its in gear it completes a circuit, and thats the beep you hear.

if the video does not play here is the link to download it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6l2rhkgo55pkfh/20141009_144025.mp4?dl=0

Now, this has been in my car for almost a year and it still functions. I have not hooked the alarm to it yet, but another thing I was doing was to hook a LED somewhere so it would light when its in gear. (could not find a place that wasnt annoying when driving yet)

Anyone who knows a bit about circuits and relays knows you can use this for multiple triggers and by adding relays could change polarity, cut a circuit, etc.

So far it works, and the whole thing cost me less than 30 bucks.

I thought about trying to use the trigger when at rest to trigger a light in the dash or cluster that could be in essential, just like the neutral light on a motorcycle.

Hope this shows up, if not I will try again later to add the pic and video.

Maybe someone can get some use out of this, but like I said YOUR OWN RISK....

Have a great day
Chris
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:29:55 PM »

Good stuff Chris. I like it. I think I still have some neodymium magnets used in the speakers of aviation headphones that the company I work for makes.

My shifter is exposed and I am not using the boot. I wonder if I could figure out a way to hide it or make it a little more pleasant to look at on my billet shift assembly?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
hightechredneck
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
hightechredneck pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

That could be interesting to try. Maybe try 4 magnetic switches, aon the side edges or something, There are other types of reed switches that could be used, I have never tried them though...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012