Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:41:32 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Dash Tablet Install  (Read 3592 times)
olecram39

Reputation Power: 3
olecram39 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »

As some of you know i had a tablet mounted in front of the radio for quite a while. I had been looking for how to make a nice in-dash install but wasnt finding anything. I didnt want to get rid of my OEM unit and doing something custom would be expensive and time consuming. But i finally found a way to do it that im very happy with. I want to give thanks cem_ari in DA for pointing me in the right direction.

This is the Before:

This is the panel that let the magic happen:

It replaces your original center upper panel with the AC vents. You will need to take of your oem vents and place them onto your new panel.

You will need small screws and washers to do this. I got these at Home Depot

You will also need to modify the panel because the hazard button opening is to small for the US Accords that have the "passanger airbag off" light on top of the button. I used a dremel and some files to make the hole bigger.

I was using the aluminum tape to hold it in place to then make some kind of bracket to hold the button, but it turns out that the aluminum tape did a great job at securing it so i just left it like that.

Then in order to turn off the tablet or turn it on if it ever shuts down because it runs out of battery, i needed access to the power button so that i didn't have to take everything apart. What i did was drill a a small hole on top the panel right above where the power button would be. I then used some plastic thingy (i dont even know what it is) that i found around the house with a small rubber washer inside to avoid it from coming out. Now when i push it down it pushes down the power button. And you cant see it when you are sitting in the car.

I then took the the charger terminal apart to make it smaller and less bulky so that it fit behind the plastic panel. And used the mounting holes from the panel with some metal strips to hold the tablet in place and secure.

Then i transferred all the clips from the OEM panel to this one and snapped it into place.

Now the part that everyone was asking about.

Where did i get it?

This is the unit from where it came from:
http://www.pen-hui.com.cn/product/753407502-200438476/Hot_sales_products_Accord_Car_DVD_Audio_Player.html

You need to contact the seller and tell them that you are only interested in the upper plastic panel, with no screen or anything. He sold it to me for $30 dollars, then the shipping to Miami was $30 more, and since they dont accept paypal Western Union charged me a fee of $12 bucks for a grand total of $72.

The review

The plastic has a slighly different texture than the rest of the dash, It also has a some tiny sparkling things. But overall not a deal breaker. You have to look very close to notice the difference.
The fitment is decently good, i cant say with much certainty yet because i am missing some of clips so that can influence the fitment. I think once i get the clips in it will fit close to perfect.
The quality of the plastic is better than i expected, not as good as the oem panel but still pretty good.

2i2dk1ny2i3
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
2i2dk1ny2i3 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:28:30 AM »

nicely done! for $72/shipped isn't too bad for a fiberglass piece

pics of when i had my iPad 2 mounted:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: