Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:48:15 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aux input for a basic Lx (no Ipod, no nav, no xm)  (Read 6147 times)
SilverAccords06n12
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
SilverAccords06n12 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »

Hello all, its me, the penny pincher.  I am looking for advice on probably the most minor audio mod possible.  I want to buy an aux input for my 2006 lx sedan.  I have a basic OEM audio setup.  I do not have steering wheel audio controls, nav, xm, or any of that other fancy stuff.  I have a Motorola Droid Razr M, so my Ipod touch is sitting around collecting dust.  Does anybody have any information on a dependable yet cheap Aux input?  I don't care about getting info on my display, as I want to control everything with my phone.

I looked at bluetooth adapters, and have been told audio quality sucks.  I've had multiple FM modulators, and I will never make that mistake again.  I know the USA Spec and the Blitzsafe units are nice, but I wanted to know if there is a decent option for a bare bones aux input.

Keep in mind, I am the kind of cheap bastard that would rather install a tape deck and get a cassette adapter before spending $150 on the USA Spec model.  Do I have any other options?
Pascal

Reputation Power: 4
Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:34:55 PM »

http://www.gtacarkits.com/product/honda-accord-2003-2007-iphone-aux-kit/

Quite easy to install and not that expensive for what you get.

Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/all-hon1.html

I just ordered the bluetooth adapter. I'll let you know how the quality is. I currently have an aux adapter, but I stopped using it because the quality was shit due to a ground loop issue (and potentially a shitty adapter), and I didn't feel like fixing it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:52:31 PM by Jeff » Logged

SilverAccords06n12
Fucking Newb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:29:41 PM »

Thanks!  I like a couple of those grom audio units.   Let me know how you like yours after install!
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »

i used to use the grom units there some of the best bang for the buck you can get with room for expansion in the future

SilverAccords06n12
Fucking Newb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 06:36:22 PM »

I am glad I asked, I have done 5+ hours of research on aux inputs, and never found out about Grom audio until now!
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:44:04 PM »

Installed the Grom adapter today.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iftarcas7emp4gc/9bIntkOKoO

The audio quality is very good, much better than my old aux adapter. No more ground loop / alternator hissing and whining. The only thing I noticed is that when Spotify started the first song, there was a sort of crackle/pop sound before it started playing, and it did it again whenever I stopped the music. I'm not chalking it up to the adapter yet though because I'm running AOSP on my phone, and there have been all kinds of different bluetooth bugs and problems for the past few months on 4.4 KitKat for my phone.

I haven't had a chance to call someone yet though. I'll get around to it eventually. Now I need to order a phone mount.

SilverAccords06n12
Fucking Newb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 04:47:21 AM »

Looks clean and discrete.  What is the third picture showing?  I am definately putting the Grom "Honda Acura 2003-2012 GROM USB Android interface car kit" ($102) on my list of things to do.
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »

I was just taking a picture of the stock radio/cubby area because I kept thinking about how awesome the OEM cubby looks compared to the shit Metra sells. Lol.

Also you may have to take into account the ground loop issue whenever you go with a wired setup. I think Grom sells some things to help with it.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is what you would need to rectify the isssue:

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/accessories/power_line_12_amp_noise_filter.html

You would use that in order to have the radio and adapter share the same power.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:48:03 PM by Jeff » Logged

SilverAccords06n12
Fucking Newb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »

Sounds good.  Thanks for bringing up the grounding issue, electronics knowledge is definitely my biggest weak point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012