Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dropped some bolts in the rear speaker area, need help getting them out  (Read 8956 times)
Slade
Fucking Newb

Deathstroke

Reputation Power: 1
Slade pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:02:37 PM »

I installed two new rear speakers, however when removing the old ones, a couple of those 8mm bolts slipped out of my hands (butter fingers I guess ) they slid down somewhere in that area near the speaker that I can't  see and can't reach. I thought it wasnt a big deal so I just got new ones and installed the new speakers, but now I can hear the bolts that slipped away sliding around when I drive and it drives me crazy. I have no idea where they are or how to reach them so any help will be greatly appreciated. I'll try and post pictures in the morning.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:36:09 PM »

If you have no idea where they went and it's your car, it's going to be difficult for anyone here to figure it out without the car in front of us.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Nit3h4wk C0uP3
Veteran

Reputation Power: 5
Nit3h4wk C0uP3 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »

Maybe get a stick or something with a magnet at the end?
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »

You may have to get one of those bendable magnet stick things and poke it around where the bolt fell.

http://m.harborfreight.com/flexible-magnetic-pickup-tool-94614.html

Slade
Fucking Newb

Deathstroke

Slade pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »

If you have no idea where they went and it's your car, it's going to be difficult for anyone here to figure it out without the car in front of us.

Well I was hoping some of you guys would know what I'm talking about since we all have the same cars, most of your are more experienced then me, and because I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to ever change the rear speakers. But thank you for your helpful advice.

I'll post pictures in the morning, I had hoped that they just fell through and landed in the trunk but they didn't, so they're caught in a pocket somewhere. I can't believe this hasn't happened to anyone else before  Sad
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:03:32 PM by Slade » Logged
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »

I'd get them out with a magnet.  That's what I do when I drop nuts and bolts that I'm unable to reach.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:25 PM »

Does it sound like the bolts are higher up (near the rear shelf) or like they have slid down one of the sides?

If my memory serves me correctly, you have access to the rear shelf (ie small gaps where the speakers are) that you can stick a finger into or a magnetic prope.

Other option is to go out to an open lot and do donuts in one direction and then back the other; rinse and repeat until the nut falls out (don't do this somewhere that you will get a ticket)...I did this rather slowly (just doing sharp turns back and forth) in a back lot to get a nut to fall out of the engine bay that was rattling around for a little while

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »

Does it sound like the bolts are higher up (near the rear shelf) or like they have slid down one of the sides?

If my memory serves me correctly, you have access to the rear shelf (ie small gaps where the speakers are) that you can stick a finger into or a magnetic prope.

Other option is to go out to an open lot and do donuts in one direction and then back the other; rinse and repeat until the nut falls out (don't do this somewhere that you will get a ticket)...I did this rather slowly (just doing sharp turns back and forth) in a back lot to get a nut to fall out of the engine bay that was rattling around for a little while
Holy shit!  Where have you been?

Well I was hoping some of you guys would know what I'm talking about since we all have the same cars, most of your are more experienced then me, and because I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to ever change the rear speakers. But thank you for your helpful advice.
This has the potential to get worse.  No need for it.  I don't care if you're both right, one of you is right and one of you is wrong, or if you're both wrong; but this convo ends here.

- Mark
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:41:42 AM »

It really isn't that hard to take out the cover for the rear deck.  You may be able to get to them from inside the trunk too.  Overall, this isn't a big problem.  I would definitely recommend you get one of those small magnets that telescopes.  It looks like if a pen and an old school antenna had a baby.  They sell them at all auto parts stores. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:20:46 AM »

You may have to get one of those bendable magnet stick things and poke it around where the bolt fell.

This 100x.  I can't tell you how many times I've dropped a screw or bolt somewhere unreachable and had to use one of these to retrieve it. 

This is the one I use, I like that it is magnetic and has a little extendable claw to grip things.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-2-in-1-pickup-tool-94162.html
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »

OP, what Ike posted up is probably your best bet. A magnet alone has the potential to frustrate you as its going to stick to your car and not move where you want it to. Those of us that have dropped hardware anywhere in our vehicles while working know that frustration all too well.
I would also like to know how long its been since you dropped the hardware. That may also dictate where the hardware could have gone in that time frame along with your driving habits. For all we know, they could have found their way underneath your rear bench seat or some other obscure place.
As for my previous comment, I stand by it. Its difficult to diagnose things over the internet without having a good description/video/photos/etc. If you lost hardware, we certainly can't find it for you.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 09:13:31 AM »

I wonder if it maybe fell between the rear deck cover and the metal rear deck itself. If that were the case, then you could pull the rear seats, the side pillars, and then the deck cover itself. That'll make it easier to see and access everything. It's a bit of work, but I ended up finding a few gold dollar coins underneath the seats. Tongue

Slade
Fucking Newb

Deathstroke

Slade pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone, sorry i took so long with the pictures, had a busy day.

So when they slipped out of my hand they slid down the area where my finger is, I had thought that they just fell through and landed in the trunk but they didn't. I  have a magnetic pickup tool like someone mentioned but theres no way i can get it in there.

This should definitely work and is a great idea, thanks Jeff.

Now for removing the rear deck cover is the only thing required to unscrew those two screws and just pull it off? Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:15:17 PM by Slade » Logged
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »

I don't think you can remove the rear deck cover without first taking our the seats and side pillars, but I've been wrong before.

If you can wait another hour or two, I can post up a PDF of the instructions to remove all of that.

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/th1e6q42mm75bzn/03%20sedan%20rear%20removal.pdf

Slade
Fucking Newb

Deathstroke

Slade pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 07:11:24 PM »

I don't think you can remove the rear deck cover without first taking our the seats and side pillars, but I've been wrong before.

If you can wait another hour or two, I can post up a PDF of the instructions to remove all of that.

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/th1e6q42mm75bzn/03%20sedan%20rear%20removal.pdf

Thanks Jeff
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012