Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:34 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another audio problem...  (Read 4060 times)
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:03:39 AM »

I figured I would make a new thread this time instead of clogging up the Q/A thread again.

Right after I had my stealth build installed, I noticed that BOTH passenger side speakers would randomly go up and down in volume for no reason.  It happens whether I'm driving, in park, have the engine on, or just running off the battery.  Sometimes it happens a lot and sometimes it won't happen at all for 30+ mins.  The volume for both speakers will drop for a few seconds (to a barely audible level) then will kick back to normal. 

Here is what I've done to try and diagnose this so far:

1.  Triple checked the connections at the amp.
2.  Made sure the amp's ground was fine.
3.  Checked to make sure the RCA cables were firmly attached to the HU
4.  Checked the wiring for the rear passenger speaker.
5.  Pulled the passenger door off and checked the speaker connection.
6.  I even replaced the crossover for the front passenger speaker with an old one I had laying around.

The problem is still there.  The only thing at this point I think it could be is that two channels on my five channel amp are dying.  If that is even possible, I don't know. 

Before I go through all the trouble of tearing my stealth build apart to replace the amp, I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas first.  I'm so fed up with audio problems at this point.   Cry

- Metra Double Din Head Unit Kit
- Kenwood Excelon DNX6990HD
- 5-channel Kicker ZX700.5 amp
- 12" Kicker L5 sub
- Polk Audio db5251 5-1/4" component speakers for front doors
- Soundstream SST6.9 6x9 speakers for rear deck
- 1-farad Lightning Audio capacitor

cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »

I would try swapping out the connection to see if it happens on the driver side then you would be able to comfirm if it is the amp it self or even try one side at a time to see if its the rca from the head unit acting up, another question is what source does this happen in radio ipod cd or on all ?

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »

Channels are known to fail on any amplifier. If you were to see the inner workings and understand how it all worked, you'd see the possibility for failure. That being said, definitely try what Clemente said by switching your connections. L-R and vise versa. If the problem follows, the channel is fried.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »

Excellent idea!  I'll give that a shot. 
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »

another question is what source does this happen in radio ipod cd or on all ?

Ipod.  I don't really use anything else but I guess I could pop in a CD and see if that changes anything. 
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »

The iPod cable might be a issue if it happens on and off if nothing else works connect it and jiggle the wire by the adapter with a little pressure and see if it cuts off .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012