Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:25:17 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice with OEM radio/cd changer  (Read 9112 times)
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »

Hey guys,

A little while ago I found out that my stock head unit was not turning off and was draining my battery. Long story short, I bought a remanufactured replacement block from oem car audio, and after a week the rear speakers stopped working. I'm on my 3rd unit from them, and now only 1 of my rear speakers work. My rear speakers are "true 4ohm" from Infinity, but I read that they will not damage a head unitl (despite peoples beliefs).

I'm pretty fed up with the situation. I'm thinking about just buying an aftermarket headunit, and using the metra cubby kit.

Does anyone know why the rear channels would stop working after a short period of time? I know the speakers are good as they both worked for a few days after the install. This has happened twice now. I'm guessing the "remanufactured" amp is just old and junk.

Thanks
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »

Just because the speakers worked for a few days doesn't mean they aren't blown now. 
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »

What's the resistance of OEM rear speakers? It could be the rear speakers that are damaging your stereo.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »

I will check the speakers again, but I doubt they are blown. I would guess that the OEM speakers are 4ohm. The Infinity speakers are what the company calls "true 4ohm". The voice coils are 2ohm, but in theory, the amp sees a 4ohm device due to the resistance of the thin wires used in cars.

I thought the same thing, Tim. I did some research, and Infinity says that they have never had one of their speakers damage an OEM amp.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »

Yeah, if the speakers are 2 ohm, don't assume that the wires will just magically add resistance. Goddamn manufacturer bullshit lies. Their true 4 ohm is a steaming pile of shit and the fact that their speakers have never damaged an OEM head unit is an even bigger fucking pile of shit. Manufacturers lie and make shit up to sell you on crap that's completely fabricated out of nothing.

If you really what to know what the resistance of the speakers are, disconnect the connector that goes into the back of the head unit and put an ohm meter on the + and - terminals for that speaker. That will tell you the truth about the resistance of your speakers.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »

Let me add to that. Unless there's a break in the wire somewhere or the copper is miles long, you're going to have little to no resistance. Meaning, a 15ft wire is going to measure about .1 ohm at most. And that's a decently corroded wire if you get that kind of resistance. No wire is going to magically add the kind of resistance infinity is trying to bullshit with.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »

Just to add more info, the speakers in question are Infinity Kappas. I've tested the resistance across the coils with a DMM and they measure a little over 3ohms...3.2 if my memory serves me.

I just sat in my car and messed with the stereo for a while. Mysteriously, the speaker in question worked fine for a few minutes, then started to randomly cut out, then I lost all sound. Interestingly, if I cranked the sound way up, the speaker would come back on. I'm starting to think I have a bad connection somewhere. Also, the first time the speaker cut out (weeks ago), I remember hitting a bump turning onto a side street. I thought it was a coincidence.

I'll report back. Regardless, I think I'm going to get rid of the Infinity speakers....the 2ohm vs 4ohm thing seems sketchy to me. These oem stereos are a pain in the ass to get replaced or repaired...I dont want to shorten the life of a new or remanufactured unit.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »

For those of you interested, here is a response from someone at Harmon (parent company of Infinity?) about their "true 4ohm" speakers, and how they are fine to use an all head units.

Hey Guys,

Andy from Harman here...I'd like to clear this up, if I can without having to get too technical.

First, we didn't just decide to make our speakers 2-ohms without doing some serious testing and verifying that it works and that the "technology" is sound. We tested lots of factory and aftermarket head units and none of them failed. Many made more power. A few made less distortion (which was a surprise) AND more power, but none of them failed. In the two years that we've been selling 2-ohm speakers, we have NEVER had a radio fail because it's been hooked up to our speakers. In every case where an installer has suspected that our speakers have caused problems, we've helped them trace wires and measure resistance and have found some other problem...poor connections, short circuits and the like.

In our test, the head unit was connected to the speakers with a 1-foot pieces of wire. That's short compared to the lengths of wire that connect your head unit to your speakers in your car and the wire contributes some additional resistance. Furthermore, after you've played the speakers for a few minutes in the car, the voice coils get hot (that's one of the laws of Physics) and their resistance increases. When that happens, our speakers look to the radio like a 4-ohm speaker and a 4-ohm speakaer looks more like a 5.5-ohm speaker. We're simply giving you back the power that you lose when you actually install the speakers in the car.

Some of you might be surprised to discover that MANY factory speakers are, in fact, 2-ohm speakers and replacing them with 4-ohm speakers DEGRADES the performance of the head unit.[/quote
Lemonjelly

Lemonjelly pfffft.
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »

If your stereo is actually damaged from the speaker let me know I have an OEM single CD unit that I took our of my 05 years ago that is just taking up space in my closet. If you cover shipping you can have it.

Steve - NECM #4

gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »

STTEEEEEVVVEEEE!!!!

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »

That dude is like the fucking sasquatch or some shit. Pops up from time to time so people believe he exists but never there when you go looking for him.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Lemonjelly

Lemonjelly pfffft.
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »

haha I should change my signature from NECM #4 to NECM Sasquatch.

I have just been lurking like a motherfucker. Only chime in when I feel I can be of assistance.

Steve - NECM #4

clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 04:46:30 PM »

Hey I really appreciate that, LJ. I will see what I find this weekend.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 12:27:50 AM »

Well, I feel a little dumb, but I'm happy to report that my problem is fixed. It seems that the speaker wires going to the rear speakers were not making a solid connection in the external crossover. I could not pull the wires out (they where tight) but I guess the connections were not solid. I just disconnected all of the wires, and reconnected them...and everything seems to work fine now. I really thought it was something else. Ha!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012