Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:51:44 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5MT Swap Parts....New or used?  (Read 18562 times)
Moe

Reputation Power: 0
Moe pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »

I know I haven't posted in a while and have just been lurking and reading, but I'm still around and have a question. Anyways, I'm in the process of acquiring parts for my AT to 5MT swap. I already got the axles, shifter box and cables, RSX-S flywheel. I was wondering, would it be better to get the clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and lines (soft & hard) new from Honda or would used be fine? I want to make sure that I don't have any headaches later on. Thanks for the input.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »

That's a no brainer question dude. New.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Moe

Moe pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »

Maybe I didn't ask my question the right way. I know new would be the ideal way to go, but considering the cost of the parts new, is it safe to just get those parts along with the 5MT from the donor car to save some $$?

ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:56 AM »

That is kinda impossible to answer.  Used parts are a crap shoot.  You never know what you are getting.  You might be safe with them or you might get screwed.  That is the chance you take.  

If it was me spending all this money on the conversion, I'd spend a bit extra and get new parts just for peace of mind.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »

That is kinda impossible to answer.  Used parts are a crap shoot.  You never know what you are getting.  You might be safe with them or you might get screwed.  That is the chance you take. 

If it was me spending all this money on the conversion, I'd spend a bit extra and get new parts just for peace of mind.
Moe, ike answered it in a much more eloquent way than I did but I feel got the exact same point across. You're already forking the coin out for a tranny, new clutch, flywheel, etc. Why skimp on the master and slave? You can pull the lines from the donor but I would flush the ever living piss out of them prior to running. Things I would get new if I were you are the clutch kit, master and slave cylinders, RSX flywheel. Everything else should be fine used.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »

If it were me, I would get a new EM1 ('00 Civic Si) master cylinder instead of an Accord one. Get a new Accord slave cylinder, and drop the cash for a stainless steel clutch line from someone like K-Tuned or Hybrid Racing. Trust me, those hard lines make it a bitch to install. If you need help with the clutch components, hit me up. I have had my fair share of clutch problems in the past and want to help you avoid the same issues.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Moe

Moe pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.

If it were me, I would get a new EM1 ('00 Civic Si) master cylinder instead of an Accord one. Get a new Accord slave cylinder, and drop the cash for a stainless steel clutch line from someone like K-Tuned or Hybrid Racing. Trust me, those hard lines make it a bitch to install. If you need help with the clutch components, hit me up. I have had my fair share of clutch problems in the past and want to help you avoid the same issues.

Tim, is the EM1 master cylinder a bolt-on or will I have to do any modifications? Are these the lines you are talking about: http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/Stainless-Steel-Clutch-Line-Kit_p_44.html

Another question I have is when I was looking online at the diagram, I got a little confused. What exactly comes with the master cylinder assembly does it include all the fittings? What else would I need from this diagram:

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:14 AM »

The EM1 master cylinder is a direct bolt in for your application.  From my understanding, all Honda hydraulic master cylinders have the same bolt pattern.  From that diagram (assuming that you're getting the EM1 master cylinder) you would need:

7 (except the EM1 master cylinder)
27 x2
30 x2
34 x2

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Moe

Moe pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »

Thank you Tim for your help. I'm going to order the parts now.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »

Call AutoFair Honda in Manchester, NH and ask for Ryan or Colin. Tell them I sent you and they will take care of you. Those guys are awesome. That's where I get all of my OEM parts from.

Tim
Moe

Moe pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »

I have one more question. I was looking around the other threads and I didn't see anyone mention a half shaft (part #: 44500-SDA-A00, #18 in the diagram below). Am I going to need this also in the swap?  I already have both axles.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

If it's not already bolted to the transmission, then I believe you do. I'm not sure if the spline count is different between auto and manual or what other differences there are.

Pascal

Reputation Power: 4
Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »

Looking at my options for the clutch lines, there is oem of course, but other that that you guys talked about ktuned and hybrid racing clutch lines. I looked a bit but there is nothing on their site for k24 accord or TSX. Ktuned has a kit for k-swaps in civics but don't know if they actually fit, and HR don't have anything in their "clutch lines" section.
I already got used master, reservoir, and slave from an accord. Most lines from the donor were cut, but still could get a grab on some of those.

Moe

Moe pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »

Wow...haven't been here for a while. Got an email saying someone responded to a thread I had started..

Anyways, to answer your question, this is what I used:
https://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/Stainless-Steel-Clutch-Line-Kit_p_44.html

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »

The k tuned clutch line works just fine. I've had mine for at least 6-7 years now. If you can get the longer RHD swap line, do that instead. A little extra length is nice. Also, get an EM1 master cylinder. The Accord one is garbage. I blew like 7 of them.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012