Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:14:56 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How-To: Custom OEM Fog Light Switch for eBay/Spec-D Fog Harness w/ Dimming!  (Read 4175 times)
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

Reputation Power: 5
DreaminAccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »

So, I had purchased my Spec-D fog lamps w/ harness and switch for $0.95 shipped a while back (haha ask if you want to know how). Anyhow, I did NOT want an OEM harness and/or housings/lenses as A) I wanted to be in complete control over when I can turn them on/off and B) I had read many members complaining about how easily their lenses were cracked by flying debris and I knew they cost upwards of $90 to replace! Screw that.

Anyhow, there is nothing wrong with the Spec-D or eBay wiring harnesses, they work absolutely great, but there is some poor craftsmanship put into the build quality and design of the switch. So with that said, and a big kudos to paperboy who originally came up with this mod (I give him 100% credit for doing the research; and another big thank you to Princess for her always-provided and much-needed Honda PDF files), I came up with my own way and fanangled an OEM fog switch to the Spec-D harness & fogs.

Now, should you use what I'm about to post as a tutorial/guide, I just want to say that: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES (should you burn yourself with a soldering iron; catch your car on fire; trip over your shoelace; or have a monkey jump in and steal your car while its idling as you sit and marvel over your job well done...) AM I RESPONSIBLE!

================= VIDEOS ================

================= PICS ==================

I gathered my needed supplies (for all of the "indoor" work). Grab your crayons, kidz! It's coloring tyme!!

The OEM switch calls for a BLUE, GREEN, RED, RED/BLACK, and BLACK wire from the OEM fog harness. I already had red, red/black and black wiring - so I grabbed some white 14g I had lying around and colored one purple (I didn't have blue) and one green. Yay! Art class like when I was 5! (14G isn't really necessary but will work. You can use any 22-16G, as the OEM harness uses 22-20G, I believe. Very tiny.)

But then, I grew up and mommy let me use a soldering iron. I pre-soldered my tips as any good solderer will do:

Initially, and not allowing my coffee to sink in yet...like a fool I tried to solder the pins through the blue plastic piece of the switch. Ended up melting some of the plastic, too haha. Then - "Wait a dang'on minute...I'm not using a male connector! F* this.." Get out your pair of snips and cut that biotch off!

Ahhhh, much better! So much more room.

Now, pre-solder your pins on the switch:

Pay attention to what side of the switch is UP, so you know the location of pin #1-5 and don't solder wire #1 to pin #5 (the side w/ the larger blue plastic piece and no bulbs is up where the clip of the connector should slide into - but remember, we cut that off? :naughty:)

Solder on your wires to each correct pin:
OoOoOOo! Purrrrrty.

Individually taped:

Then, one last piece of tape for extra protection:

====== INSIDE work complete. Now go out to the car ======

Look at that ugly, mismatched, sunken in switch :thumbsdow

This is how cheaply it is manufactured (must be by children), because mine literally just fell apart one day and I kept it together w/ black electrical tape around the body of the switch. Then, you were lucky if it stayed in place long enough, that when you'd push the switch it'd either get stuck in the ON or OFF position because the circuit board would slide too far back so the "plunger" wouldn't reach it

^^ As you can see, I tried putting an orange cap over the bulb to see if it'd "remotely" even match the rest of the coupe...not even close. I hated this switch all around.

Cut off the existing male connector from the harness:

2x 12V (Red), 1x Fog Light Control (Yellow), 1x Ground (Black)

You only need 1 of the red 12V wires, so leave the other one in its protective casing and tape it off. Strip the other three wires:

Here are the two wires (1x red, 1x red/black (ground)) from the moonroof switch that you will be using so that the new fog switch has OEM dimming capabilities:

I chose to mount my fog switch in the middle, and moved the VSA switch over being that I NEVER touch it. Why would you? lol The OEM fog switch is a little more grayish-black than the other two, so putting it in the middle "sort of" balances it out (black, grayish-black, black)...but that's just my OCD - do what you want

NOTE: This next pic shows me using wire taps. In the end, I immediately tore them off and soldered the connections. Everything BUT the illumination/dimming worked on the new switch b/c taps are unreliable and were not making a good connection. I couldn't get pics of the soldered pieces though as I had to charge my phone.

^^ Connect the OEM solid red with your solid red, and the OEM red/black with your red/black. These are connections #11 & #12 on both switches and work as illumination (dimming)/ground.

Pre-solder your Spec-D/eBay harness wires:

Solder RED-->BLUE; YELLOW-->GREEN; BLACK-->BLACK

Lastly, tape them up and enjoy your new OEM switch that can be used at any time the car is powered! :biggrin:

Full brightness:

(OFF)

(ON)

Dimmed:

(ON)

Ben

2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/ Navi - 1st Honda!
Graphite Gray / Black Leather

Moessteezy

Names Moe

Reputation Power: 2
Moessteezy pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »

Thank you! I installed my fogs about a week ago and the switch fell apart already. I will be doing this mod as soon as I go back to work. Meh.
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

Reputation Power: 5
DreaminAccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »

Anytime, bro! That's what I'm hear for...to spend money and write tutorials...  Grin

Ben

2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/ Navi - 1st Honda!
Graphite Gray / Black Leather

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012