Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:51:58 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspension clunk from front PS - case closed?  (Read 25331 times)
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »

Well, ever since my drive up from Miami 6 months ago where I inadvertently drove through a pothole that could've swallowed a Focus during NYC traffic, I've had this annoying clunk sound on my front PS corner. At first, I blamed the coils based on other complaints from F2 owners. Replaced it under warranty. Checked the shock I replaced. No blown seals, the piston compressed and returned perfectly which means the shock wasn't blown. Problem persisted. Started going through my suspension the usual way: visual, moving anything and everything I could to find play, applying pressure to ball joints, etc. Found nothing. I did happen to find a broken PS engine mount which usually causes the sound. Replaced it with a new OEM mount thanks to AFH. Sound persists. Ran through all nuts and bolts I've touched since owning the car and even some I haven't messed with. All snug. I'm at a loss as to the cause of the sound.

Cliffs notes-front PS clunk sound, nothing broken, all parts torqued down, broken parts replaced,  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:56:48 AM by CrackerTeg » Logged

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »

OEM top hats or did they come on your suspension?  I've broken those before on a pot hole in CT and it caused that clunk.  Another thing to look at is your sway bar bushings.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »

They came with top hats. I didn't think of the sway bar bushings. From the reading around I've done, people have reported broken endlinks, broken ball joints and shit like that. I don't have either. I'll throw it on the lift today or tomorrow and check out the sway bar bushings. I don't think they'd be the problem but its worth a shot. Maybe I'll drag my brother with me so its another set of eyes looking.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »

Double check the top hat too.  With the front end up in the air, just grab the top bolt for the shock nut and see if there's movement.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
accordguy04

Creeper

Reputation Power: 14
accordguy04 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »

Ive noticed a bit of a clunk with my F2s too... when does yours do it?  Just when you hit bumps?

-Ryan

Hello, My name is Ryan, and I can't spell Thein's name right when its clearly shows it in his username.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »

Double check the top hat too.  With the front end up in the air, just grab the top bolt for the shock nut and see if there's movement.
I'll give that a go. I did hit that top nut with an impact yesterday as the F2's don't have the same center allen like the OEM struts do so there was only so much tightening I could do on that nut with hand tools. That nut is now tight. Obviously, that didn't take care of it.
Ive noticed a bit of a clunk with my F2s too... when does yours do it?  Just when you hit bumps?
Yup. I read somewhere that its loose hardware on the struts from others' experience. Mine were solid until that fateful day in NYC.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »

Actually, if the top hat is damaged, you can tighten that nut till kingdom come and you'll still have the clunk. What you're looking for is damage to the top hat.

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »

Don't tell me that. That means I'd at least have to pull the strut to check the top hat. FML.

Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »

Just set the car on fire. Anything that remains intact was not a cause of the problem. As far as the things that turned to ash... well, time to replace them.  

Is the clunk a metal on metal sound, or could it maybe be the tire hitting the fender when going over the bump? Just throwing some ideas out there. Maybe the fender got knocked loose over that bump. Although I'm sure you would have already noticed it by now. So it's probably not that, lol.

CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »

I had the same exact clunk A few years ago. It ended up being the front sway bar bushing (I had TL-S bars installed).

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »

Don't tell me that. That means I'd at least have to pull the strut to check the top hat. FML.

I guess you ignored what I said earlier in the thread then. Gimme a call if you want any clarification. Wink

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »

I actually tried what you said earlier Tim. I gave the undercarriage a thorough going over and still can't find anything wrong. The driver's side fsb bushing looked a little worn but nothing obvious. Again, nothing broken. Nothing loose. It's driving me insane!

accordguy04

Creeper

Reputation Power: 14
accordguy04 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »

I had the same exact clunk A few years ago. It ended up being the front sway bar bushing (I had TL-S bars installed).

I thought about this with mine... the bushing looks a bit funny, like its not set in right...

-Ryan

Hello, My name is Ryan, and I can't spell Thein's name right when its clearly shows it in his username.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 01:47:01 AM »

Is the spring seated properly?

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Yup.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012