Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:10:55 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Joedanger's License Plate Mod  (Read 9352 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:13:53 AM »

Well a while ago my friend wanted me to put a led tube on top of my license plate, and I figured it would look stupid and the tube was blue anyway. I had a white led in there and it was good for a while but would flicker with the car off. I wasnt happy about that to say the least. After seeing what Joe did I was inspired to do it knowing that it would look good. Credit to him for doing it and telling me which lights he ordered. Heres the write up:

These are the lights:

Got them off ebay, have to cut the computer power plugs and the on/off switch off so you have just the positive (yellow) and negative/ground(black)wires. These are the wires that we are going to work with.

Next open the trunk, take out the stock light and its harness, and start to work the plastic piece out of its spot. Theres two tabs to take the lights plug out, and then two more on the clear plastic piece. Take your time and wiggle it out:

Get it like this:

Unplug where the stock light pluged in to so that you have just the little male connector.

Pull back the shrink tubing on the wires going into the male connector, and find out which wire is which. Red is positive, so we will connect it to yellow, and black goes to black.

Ok heres where me and Joe differ: He plugged his wires in to one of the stock plugs. I tried that but wasnt happy with how the wires were staying in, and dont want to have to worry about them touching each other and messing up the lights or more importantly the cars electrical system. I cut off the stock connector, and stripped a little bit off each wire, and twisted the cars power wires and the lights power wires together and same with the ground wires. I will solder it tomorrow when I find my Iron, and I put heat shrink tubing over it to insulate and protect it.

Much better in my opinion, but some may not feel comfortable doing this. If you choose to do it this way, be careful to not cut through the wires because there isnt much length of it to work with.

Tuck and hide the wires:

Next, take the little box that came with the lights, and put some two way tape on the back of it. You can see where I placed mine in this pic:

Do it so that the two places for the lights to plug into faces down and the yellow and red wire go up if you closed the trunk.

I cant stress this enough. IF YOU USE TWO WAY TAPE, CLEAN ALL SURFACES WITH ALCOHOL!!!!!!!!

That is why people hate on two way tape, because it susposedly doesnt hold, but they dont prep the surface the correct way. Its all in the prep people.

I used two way tape to hold the lights on, again, CLEAN THE SURFACE. Then position them how youd like, I think it was brighter by father away from the plate:

Snap the plastic piece back in and your good to go.

This is my first write up, howd you guys like it? Thanks again to Joe for the help and the pics showing how good it looks. Im going out to take pics of mine right now because it is finally dark.

Transfered from old G7A.
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »

Great write up do you have the name of the ones you used? and any night shots i have leds at the moment but looking for something brighter

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »

I just recently did this mod and the lights I used were the LED "racing" fog lights in Autozone. These things are bright as hell and are more than adequate to do the job. One of these nights I'll remember to snap some pics.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »

Z, do you still have the stock plastic cover popped in, but without a light? I'm thinking about doing this mod in addition to the LED bulb I have hooked up in the stock location.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »

I do. No light though. Not necessary with the lights I have.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:01:42 AM »

Here's mine that I did over a year ago.  I just used one 12" cathode instead of two short ones.

Pics for comparison.  Please note that the exposure is the same for both.  The stock bulb is brighter in reality but if I exposed it properly, the cold cathode shot would be completely over-exposed.  

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:17:27 AM »

Here's the pic I promised. The lights I used are those "racing" LED fog lights you find at most auto parts stores.

Gee, I hope that's bright enough.

phunctional

Reputation Power: 0
phunctional pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »

ha damn frickin spotlight comin out the ass! id rather have the dim one to be honest. when you do something stupid its harder to read your plate :P

CM82
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »

True but if I'm going to do something stupid, I sure as shit ain't going to it in my car since its too easy to find/ spot.

sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

Reputation Power: 11
sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 12:11:13 AM »

yeah I was thinking the same, I don't want my license plate easily visible by an means!

Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012