Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:53:11 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UBER Pothole = Tire/Wheel Problems  (Read 9569 times)
NWINNIE34

Reputation Power: 6
NWINNIE34 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »

so last night going about 50mph i hit the ultimate pot hole.... and something bad happened

i havent gotten too much of a chance to look into the issue... i also have a rental car for the next month so i have some time to figure it out

so i hit a huge pothole.... big bang... and maybe 1 mile down the road... the wheel starts shaking, and i hear a hissing coming out of the wheel while driving.
its not a continuous hiss... only lets air out on certain parts of the wheels rotation.

do you think i bent a rim so bad that its letting air out?
pretty sure i have a tubeless tire... so i don't think that's the issue...
maybe i snapped the metal bands in the tire?
im wondering if i need to just go to a tire shop and order a new tire or if i need to replace a cracked or bent rim.... the valve stem seems to be in good condition and there arent any major bends in the rim...

i have ling long 225/45/zr17's
they are directional treads

lemme know what you think

2006 PWP TSX, 6Spd, Nav, Ebony Interior

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

Blackhawk

Reputation Power: 16
Blackhawk pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

Never heard of that tire brand but it's irrelevant to the issue you're having. I'd get a tire shop to look at it right away at least.

JohnnyG123

Reputation Power: 2
JohnnyG123 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »

You probably did one or more of three things:
1. Bent the wheel so bad the tire wont seal up properly.
2. You cracked a wheel.
3. The impact of the hit cut the sidewall of your tire.

'10 Accord EX-L V6 6spd
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:36:34 AM »

If its hissing air out, more and likely you bent the rim to where it is leaking out air. A bent rim will of course cause a shake. No one uses tubes in tires anymore except bicycle tires and old old school Hot Rods. First step to take is take it to a tire shop ASAP so they can check out the condition of the wheel and tire. An impact like so can all sorts of damages. From bent rims to bent suspension parts, so have them check out the suspension along with the wheel and tire.
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »

Will do, I'll have my girlfriend take it over to a shop while I'm at work

New springs, shocks, and struts install soon...this isn't looking good

Is it possible to fix a bent rim or should I just look into getting a new one ?
The one rim wouldn't be that expensive since they were cheaper rims in the first place

When I went out to check it this morning it held air overnight.... I'm gonna look at some of the suspension internals tonight when I get home

This sucks !

Custom Comptech Icebox, Ralco UD Pulleys, 22mm Progress Tech RSB, LED Reverse/License plate lights, M3 lip spoiler, Hondata Heatshield and P2R IM gaskets, OBX Oil catch can, Hawk HPS Pads

Fenix

Reputation Power: 4
Fenix pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

It does suck, but what sucks even more is living in new brunswick. I used to live there for 10 years, a friend of mine got shot across the street from my house.

To check for an air leak you can pour a little water over the suspected area. you see bubbles you got a leak.

Quote from: timot_one
I'll let you guys know that I can only tolerate so much douchebaggery
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »

wow...i actually live in highland park so im out of the bad parts of new brunswick area

i'll check it out... im thinking it has to be the rim....
whats the deal with trying to fix a bent rim?
is it even worth the effort to try to fix something like that ?

Fenix

Reputation Power: 4
Fenix pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »

if you can use your parents car or a friends car, take the rim with the tire off your car and bring it to the rim shop you bought it from. Or any local reputable shop. They can give you the best advice.

Quote from: timot_one
I'll let you guys know that I can only tolerate so much douchebaggery
ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »

Since you hit so hard you may also want to make sure your axle is still okay and not bent…

Coming from sesame place I hit a crater that bent the rim but after a closer inspection and removal of that bent rim the vibration was still there.  It was the driver side axle that was bent too.  So if you replace or repair the rim and still have vibration in that wheel I would recommend check the axle.

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »

Sorry to hear about the damage, but others in here are right.  Take it to a shop and get it checked out.  Right now, we're all speculating what the problem may be.  You yourself said that you haven't looked at it yet.  Hopefully the shop will be able to provide some better answers for you.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »

so heres the damage....

OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH !
axel looks ok so dont all the other components in there... but i def need a second opinion

any clue anything like this can be fixed?
or should i just order a new rim tonight?
found $162 shipped...   :o(

MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »

Get a new rim. That rim is a goner.
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »

yeah....

$150 free shipping... i guess its not as bad as it could have been
that god this didnt happen a month down the road when im dropped...

(just got my tokicos and ingalls rear camber kit in the mail today... Eibachs are in closet)
sigh...

ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"
Get a new rim. That rim is a goner.

+1
yeah go and get a new one because the cost of repair will be up there too and that rim will never be the same again after.  

That was a major hole!!!

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
NWINNIE34

NWINNIE34 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 07:57:32 AM »

yeah NO SHIT hahaha.... me and my friend just had our mouths open like ohhhh myyy goddddd

shit sucks man... ordered a new one last night.. should be shipped today

$200 pothole
DAMMIT !
i should send these pics to the Dept of Transportation and make sure they have it fixed....

Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012