Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:40:11 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for coilover how-to on 7.5G V6 coupe  (Read 11687 times)
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

Reputation Power: 5
DreaminAccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:40:24 PM »

Hey y'all,

New to EliteCM but have been on the other Accord forums for a little while now. Glad to be a new member here Smiley

Anyhow, I just ordered a set of Tein Basics coilovers from Mike (HEcreated487) and I've been searching all of the forums, youtube, google, etc. to find a particular How-to with pics on installing coilovers on the 7th Gens. Mike pointed me towards the How-To for lowering springs, except the one thing that I actually need (pics), is no longer hosted by the OP. I have changed out suspensions numerous times (from Tokico struts + Lowering Springs, to coilovers, to tie rod ends...) but this is my first Honda. Being that the Tein coilover design / mounting for the Honda/Acura is a lot different than what I'm used to, I'd love to find a write-up w/ pics to show which bolts to loosen/remove, the best way to access the 3 (I'm guessing...or 2?) nuts on both rear top hat mounts in the trunk compartment (I've read these are especially hard to get to on the 8G coupes), etc.

So, just if someone's come across a good write-up and possibly has bookmarked it, I'd love it if you could share that info with me! If a good one just merely doesn't exist, I'll be writing one up w/ pics as I swap out my suspension.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:44:27 PM by DreaminAccord » Logged

Ben

2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/ Navi - 1st Honda!
Graphite Gray / Black Leather

MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:42:30 AM »

I've done numerous of 7th Gen Accords, 3rd Gen TL, and 1st Gen TSX. I have it down to about 45 minutes for a complete swap. The fronts are the easiest to do in my opinion.

Fronts:

1: Rasie the car and support on jack stands. Remove the front wheels.
2: Remove the 2 bolts that connect the strut fork to the strut and lower control arm. The bolt/nut is a 17mm that connects the fork to the lower control arm. The bolt that connects the strut to the fork is a 14mm. Remove the fork out. You can remove it by sliding it out of the way. If you need more clearance, push the knuckle down to get a little more clearance.
3: Remove the 5 nuts that connect the strut to the body. The 3 nuts that are on the frame are 14mm. The other 2 that holds the strut to the strut tower bar are 12mm.
4: Slide the strut out. If you need a little more clearance getting the strut out, push the knuckle upwards to relieve the tension on the upper control arm that is hanging.
5: Install in reverse order.

Rears

1: Raise car up and support on jack stands. Remove rear wheels.
2: Fold down back seat and remove the plastic rear deck cover. You will see the nuts that connect the strut to the body.
3: Remove the bolt that connects the strut to the rear knuckle. The bolt is a 17mm.
4: Remove the sway bar link nut that is connected to the knuckle. The sway bar link nut is a 14mm. You will also need a 5mm allen/hex key or socket. The nut itself tends to just spin with the joint. Place the wrench on first and then use the allen/hex key to keep the stud from spinning with the nut.
5: Remove the 2 nuts that connect the rear struts to the body. The nuts are 14mm.
6: Pry the rear knuckle down to get enough clearance to fully get the strut out.
7: Install in reverse order.

Hope this helps you out. I don't have any pictures, but I'll try next time to get some if I happen to do another strut job.
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

DreaminAccord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »

Thanks man! I really appreciate it. 

Ben

accordguy04

Creeper

Reputation Power: 14
accordguy04 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »

This is great stuff, Ill def reference this next week. 

I vote STICKY!

-Ryan

Hello, My name is Ryan, and I can't spell Thein's name right when its clearly shows it in his username.
HEcreated487

Reputation Power: 7
HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »

GL with the install, Ben. Smiley... And try to take some pix while you're at it  Grin

M!©h@3L ¤ ¤ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¤ ¤
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »

Not a problem at all. If I happen to do a coilover or spring swap soon, I'll try to get some pics. As a tip, pre-soak those bolts in some sort of penetrating oil. One more note is if the coilovers has a flat spot on the bottem on the strut where the fork slides over, try to line up the flat spots where the bolt will slide through. If you dont line it up correctly, it will be troublesome to get the 14mm bolt to thread onto the fork to clamp down the strut.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »

Swapping the suspension is easy as pie on these cars.  I'll see if I can try to find something for you though.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

DreaminAccord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »

Great advice, Thien I have PB Blaster & Liquid wrench. Unfortunately with Hurricane Sandy and this horrible weather, not sure if I'm going to get them installed before winter begins... It's already starting to drop down into the 40's and as low as 30's at night. Dang I hate the North!! haha I'm moving to Hawaii w/ Mike...70s all year round haha

I will definitely be creating a How-To with many pics when I do install them though. You can never have enough informative DIY How-To's!

Quote from: timot_one
Swapping suspension is easy as pie on these cars. I'll see if I can try to find something for you though.

Awesome to hear, Tim! BTW I saw your post about coming to the 'burgh!  Grin
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:58:27 PM by DreaminAccord » Logged

Ben

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »

I may take some screen shots of the service manual or something.  I usually use the one from the TSX since I have a copy of that on my laptop.  The Accord service manual I have is a hard copy sitting in my garage, so screen shots of that aren't that great.

I was in W Mifflin last night, visiting family.  I'm up in Grove City right now.  I'll be all around the area working this week.  As long as the storm doesn't make travel too dangerous, I should be only here until Friday.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »

No problem at all. I've done about 20 suspension swaps involving that suspension setup.
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

DreaminAccord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »

Tim, ha that's too cool man - I was just up in Cranberry Twp today for work but only live like 20 minutes from W. Mifflin! Did you see how gone-to-shit Cent III mall has become? A real pity.

Anyhow, that TSX manual may come in handy to me now and again. These coilovers are actually the Tein Basics for the 04+ TSX (P/N DLA64-U2531) w/ proper size Fender Washers to fit the CM's rear lower knuckle.  Cool
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:22:27 PM by DreaminAccord » Logged

Ben

DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

DreaminAccord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »

After doing a search I can't seem to find this...but does anybody know the OEM spring rates for the 7.5G V6 coupes? I'm just curious the difference between the Teins & factory. TIA Smiley

Ben

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »

I'm not sure what the spring rate is for OEM, but spring rate is only one part of the equation when it comes to ride quality/comfort.  For some sort of reference, when I swapped my OEM suspension to Tein Basics, I felt that the ride was only slightly firmer than stock but still fairly comfortable.

Tim
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

DreaminAccord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 11:41:03 PM »

Great to know, Tim, that's exactly how Mike explained it to me! Can't wait to have them delivered so I can throw them on and finish her up (last mod I plan on doing for quite some time as I've done a LOT in the past 2 months I've owned her lmao)

Ben

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »

Good stuff man.  The install should be easy as long as nothing is seized.  Wish I could give you a hand.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012