Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:03:30 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Detailing  (Read 11019 times)
skizot

Reputation Power: 5
skizot pfffft.
Trade Count: (7)

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2009, 08:01:06 AM »

Stuff I used to do the coolant reservoir with.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Stuff I use as a final step in detailing the engine.
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,2,1

Cover all electrical components, including battery, alternator, fuse/relay box as any other misc sensors you can with shopping bags, rags or sandwich bags.

Use your favorite engine degreaser, they all pretty much work the same.

Make sure to only do this when the engine is cold.

After you spray the degreaser, let it sit for the time recommended.

Take a small spray bottle with water in it to reach areas that are hard to get to or that you don't want to rinse with the hose.

Take a garden hose with the pressure set to jet for tough spots and gentle set to delicate spots or near electrical and hose off all the degreaser.

Take a small wire brush or rag to wipe off any excessive dirt in the all the nooks of the engine bay.

Allow the engine to air dry and while waiting:
- Get your favorite car wax and wax all the painted surfaces (Megauirs Nxt 2.0)

- Get your favorite vinyl protectant and wipe down all the rubber pieces (Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber protectant in the red bottle, smells like candy)

- Get your favorite metal polish (Never Dull + Mother's Mag and Aluminum Cleaner) and clean and polish all the AC lines, Power Steering lines/hose clamps, pretty much anything bare metal (not painted metal). You will want to test a portion of what you are going to polish with the Mother's cleaner. If it starts to turn black while polishing, you are good to go, if not, STOP, this means it is not a metal that can be polished. There are so many little pieces of the engine that can benefit from the metal polishing, this step along can take upwards of a couple of hours. Not to mention, if you want to do the pulley and other parts of the engine, it will take some 2000 grit sandpaper as a starting point, before you ever even get to the never dull and then mothers polish.

At this point, you may need to towel dry the rest of the engine bay that is still wet and once done, then apply a nice coat of the CD2 engine dressing to pretty much everything, except what is still covered in plastic. If you have any custom painted surfaced (i.e. throttle body cover, valve cover, etc) you will not want to spray the CD2 stuff on it, but everything else you can. This stuff will also need some time to air dry.

Once you have sprayed this stuff on and while waiting for it to dry, remove all the plastic bags and towels covering everything else and hand clean them with some degreaser (i.e. Simple Green, Orange Citrus or Castrol Purple cleaner). Any of them will work. Just spray onto a towel and clean by hand.

You will also want to clean in and around your battery compartment, under the radiator shroud, behind the engine where all the vacuum hoses and heater lines run and so forth.

Wipe down any remaining overspray from the CD2.

Turn car on an let idle to normal temperature so the CD2 can seal itself and dry up to a nice shine.

Last step is to just buff out the rubber vinyl hoses and you are done.
skizot

Reputation Power: 5
skizot pfffft.
Trade Count: (7)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »

ROLO

Reputation Power: 8
ROLO pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:09:54 AM »

Nice write up ! I always wanted to put the degreaser and hose it down.. but I'm scared I'll mess up ... Your engine is spotless.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »

The shine in your engine bay is just not normal! Very very nice.
ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »

:arrow: Nice write up!!!

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »

Hands down, cleanest freaking engine bay! WOW! Good job dude

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
suleman_manji

Reputation Power: 3
suleman_manji pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »

Good god that's CLEAN! I might just do this after class tomorrow. Need something to do lol

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »

Nice write up and job Skizot. Since the weather should start warming up soon, I'm definetly going to approach this job on my car.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:29:34 AM »

looks brand new. great job!

dizzle

Reputation Power: 6
dizzle pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 12:42:28 AM »

very nice write up. looks so clean makes me want to lick it haha. i hope to do this soon before this big car meet im going to on the 29th.

Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:43:40 AM »

Great write up! I still havent developed the balls to do this yet cuz my luck just isnt good at all.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »

Very nice.  I just cover the alternator and battery and use engine degreaser and a hose.  I need to spend more time detailing my engine compartment though.  I'll have to do that this spring when the weather doesn't totally suck.  Can't wait to see this in person.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
rich

Reputation Power: 4
rich pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 07:42:57 PM »

come polish my shit scott.....i mean...not my shit, well, yeah my shit in the engine bay lol

2004 Accord Coupe V6 6speed
for sale!
Xbox Live Gamertag: BeachBum561FLA
Jellynuts

Reputation Power: 2
Jellynuts pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »

I mentioned it in the old g7a, and I'll mention it again, you've got the sickest engine I've ever seen!  It just looks like a toy model or something (with all compliments intended)!

2005 TSX 6MT
2005 I4 Coup EXL (totaled)
RTexasF

Reputation Power: 2
RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 08:05:13 AM »

Beyond impressive, simply astounding!

Rick, token old bastard.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print