Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:54:54 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help identifying what's leaking?  (Read 21015 times)
Fanitron

Reputation Power: 3
Fanitron pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:11:59 PM »

Hey guys didn't find any threads (mostly because I have no clue what I'm lookin at). I noticed recently that my car is leaving small spots where I park, both on the driveway and at work. I had it up on stands last weekend and tried to see but I'm not sure if it's the transmission case or the engine oil pan. I didn't see anything dripping from the engine oil plug which I had opened recently for an oil change. I took a couple of pictures but it was cramped (my jack didn't go any higher) but if someone could help me identify it, it would be great.

Pic one is taken directly underneath the leak spot, it's on the driver's side of the vehicle

Pic two is take from the passenger side looking towards the leak spot

Again, I know these pics are crap but it was the best I could manage given the tight space... if you guys can't tell, I will try to get better pictures this weekend. Thanks for the help!
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »

Check your front motor mount. I'm assuming you checked all fluids and they are full? The front motor mount is oil filled, and when mine went there was oil everywhere. You can't really see it because there is a dust cover on the mount.
Fanitron

Fanitron pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »

Oh yea forgot to mention, I did check my engine oil and it was fine just below the top line on the dip stick. Couldn't really check the trans oil since I had just driven the car and it was HOT lol but I will take a look at that also. What would be the easiest way to find that mount/determine if it's leaking?
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »

Put a jack with a board on it under the engine and jack it up a little bit. See if the engine lifts off the mount. Also, visually inspect it for cracks. Also see if just below the mount is wet.
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »

Or do the motor mount test. You will need 2 people to do this to check if motor mounts are worn out. Have one person sit in the car. Have the driver press and hold the brake pedal. Put the car in gear and give it gas. This is called power braking, and what it does is rock the engine back and or forth. You can then tell if the motor mounts are worn by seeing how much movement the engine moves during the power brake test. If motor mounts are good, engine should only move about 1 inch max. Be sure to do it in Drive and Reverse (1st and Reverse for manual)
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:56:50 AM »

If the mount is fine pull the little steel cover between the engine and trans, if it is wet on the inside then your rear main seal on the engine is leaking....

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:16 AM »

Hey those pictures look like ones I took of oil in that same spot, except I have one with the steel cover off also.  I'm leaning towards rear main seal. Keep an eye on your engine oil over the next few weeks. You should also check the valve cover gasket on the back (side closest to the firewall) and it's running down from there.

Rich
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »

I was waiting for you to chime in Rich. Looking at those pictures leads me to your same conclusion. I just figured since Thien, Mike and Paul basically said the same things, there was no point in rehashing.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Fanitron

Fanitron pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »

Thanks for the input.. I will try to take a look, hopefully tonight after work or this weekend. I tried to see if the mount was the issue this morning, it seems to be completely dry so I don't think it is the source of the oil. Will keep you guys updated once I get under there today. One question, what's the easiest way to pull that steel cover? From above through the engine bay or underneath the car?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:00:18 PM by Fanitron » Logged
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »

It is just 2 10mm head bolts then a flat screw driver to pry it off.

Fanitron

Fanitron pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »

That's the black coloured plate that's in the second picture correct?
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

Can't really tell from your pics on my phone. I will post the pics and clip I sent to Paul awhile back when mine started. Sorry I didn't start a thread on this, could have saved you some time.

Rich
Fanitron

Fanitron pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »

No worries bro. I guess this thread will help out anyone else in future who may encounter a similar problem.  Smiley
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 07:23:50 PM »

That's the black coloured plate that's in the second picture correct?

Correct.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »

How hard is changing the rear main seal?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012