Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:35:00 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camshafts  (Read 6925 times)
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
linguinipenguini pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

I am currently toying around with the idea of installing more agressive cams, specifically Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams. I have a few questions about materials for this swap.

Other than the cams, springs, and retainers, will I need to get new valves?

Is it necessary to use an ecu such as K-pro or an AEM unit, or will the stock ECU be able to handle it?

Any feedback would be great, but remember, I am merely toying around with the notion 
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »

It may run on the stock ecu but, you will see minimal to no gains with out proper engine management.
Rushzer0

Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »

*Ninja edit*
You will need kpro or AEM in order to use more aggressive cams. Your car will run very poorly, if it will run at all without it. There are drop in cams on the market that don't really require anything else but they aren't worth the money. They have very minimal gains, although your ECU maybe able to handle the changes.

Once you get a kpro or aem though, you can squeeze even more power out of your mods with a good tune.

What are your plans for the car? Straight up K24? Hybrid K24/20? NA? Vtec Killer? Boost? These will help narrow down your choices. Also what are your power goals, and what is your price range?

Some milder cams do not require an upgrade to the valve-train, although I would recommend it. No harm in over building, especially if your already in the head replacing cams.
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

linguinipenguini pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

My over all plans involve eventually using a lower-boost supercharger set up, So I was already planning on upgrading the ecu, its mostly a matter of procrastination, doing as much as I can before taking the ecu plunge. But I've adjusted my planning and parts lists for the cams to include an ecu. What is the AEM Model? I know its not as good kpro, but in terms of price I'm trying to conserve my money for any faults.
Rushzer0

Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

I'm sure a lot of people will tell you on here. The price difference isn't anything incredible, so go k-pro.

I know Tim is supercharged and has cams, hopefully he will chime in here.  I think I good set of NA cams would be your best bet.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »

I am currently toying around with the idea of installing more agressive cams, specifically Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams. I have a few questions about materials for this swap.

To answer your questions in your first post:

Other than the cams, springs, and retainers, will I need to get new valves?

Valves may not be necessary, but it's best to contact the manufacturer directly for advice.

Is it necessary to use an ecu such as K-pro or an AEM unit, or will the stock ECU be able to handle it?

Yes, it is necessary to have some sort of tuning.  It's not a matter of the ECU being able to "handle" it.  Your stock ECU will not be able to make the changes necessary to compensate for the upgraded internals.  The reality is that not tuning your ECU for your motor and the modifications you have made will damage and eventually destroy your motor.

Jeff, I hate to say it, but you're still going about this all wrong.  I guarantee that you will end up wasting money if you do it this way.  I know the suggestion has been made directly to you more than once that you should consider your final goal, then build towards that goal instead of randomly slapping shit on your motor.

First, you're still trying to do things backwards and upgrade your motor before upgrading your ECU.  I've already said it before, and I'll say it again, you're going to destroy your motor if you think you can upgrade your internals without some way of tuning.  You can spend the money on an AEM unit, but why not get KPro instead?  The difference in cost isn't going to be that great.  I'm sure there's someone I can get you in contact with so you can run KPro seamlessly without the extensive changes other K24A8 owners have had to make.

The second issue to address is that you want to get a s/c and use it with stage 2 n/a cams.  You're going to lose power that way.  N/A cams are designed for greater air flow on the intake and exhaust.  The crossover point is larger with n/a cams for better scavenging of exhaust gasses out of the combustion chamber.  With a supercharger, you want a smaller crossover point so the exhaust cams close earlier.  Otherwise, you will have a lot of blow through and you'll lose boost.  Basically, you will lose power with n/a cams on a roots style supercharged motor.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »

im sick and tired of reading threads with this stupid shit... these kinds of questions have been asked over and over again. SEARCH...if not here, on k20 because there is a wealth of knowledge out there and as everyone has said build towards a goal instead of throwing your money away. read until you know what the answer is then start planning for what you want to accomplish.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

linguinipenguini pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »

So just to clarify to myself, I need to start with the ecu. Following that, I can begin to upgrade the top end. Got it. Sorry I can't seem to hammer that into my brain, I'm used to small block chevy and ford motors! Secondly, when I upgrade the ecu, I'm assuming it is better to tune it to the way the car is now, then adjust it for upgrades? And finally, my biggest fear is blowing the engine. Has anyone heard any significant horror stories of our car blowing up on a dyno or while being tuned?

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »

Yeah, the biggest thing with these cars is tuning.  Getting tuned by someone inexperienced or someone that's too aggressive can destroy your motor just as easily as if you went to an engine builder that doesn't check clearance or used cheap parts.  If I were in your shoes (and I was at one point), I'd find a good tuner first, then get a kpro ecu and harness so you can work out any bugs that may come up.  After you have all the bugs ironed out, start building the motor.  There still isn't a good plug and play option for K24A8 owners yet.  I'm talking to someone about getting an interface so you don't have to use a dual ECU harness or do a DBW TB to cable TB conversion. 

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 10:08:29 AM »

if your serious about kpro, you need to talk to paul because as far as i know, he is the only one that knows how to make kpro work on a k24a8. he did a great job building my motor and installing kpro.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »

One more thing. Don't use Junk2 cams. Surefire way of blowing up your motor.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

linguinipenguini pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »

Also, I'm in Tampa, Florida, anyone know of any good shops that tune Kpro in tampa or Orlando?
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »

I can ask around. I know a couple of people in that area with built k series.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012