Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:34:48 AM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Change Transmission Oil (6MT)  (Read 16682 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 10:39:45 PM »

Done

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 07:52:38 AM »

Woha, hold up here guys.

There is a big piece to this missing. On the front of the trans is a 10mm head overfill bolt, it will have a aluminum crush washer under it. That needs to be removed while filling the trans, fluid will come out of it when the trans is full. If you over fill the trans you will get fluid in the clutch housing and foul the friction disc since the breather tube is in the clutch housing.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
B.R.03EX

Reputation Power: 4
B.R.03EX pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »

I know which bolt you are talking about, it is sort of above the drain bolt, right? So that bolt should be removed when filling and once it starts dripping is when you have enough fluid? I removed mine the next day after I filled it to check and I had fluid coming out so I put it back in. I guess I should let it drain out some more.

I can snap a picture of that bolt if you guys want want me to.

- Bobby
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »

Yes, you need to let the fluid continue to drain from that bolt until it stops, that is proper fill level.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
quickkick127

Reputation Power: 0
quickkick127 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 03:20:10 PM »

I asked the guy at Honda what the change interval was and he said 30k miles.  I had my car for over 45k and I never changed it, and I have no idea the last time it was changed.  So I actually did the change twice.  I changed the fluid, drove the car around for like 20 minutes to get the fluid movin around and then did the change again.  Just as a little bit of extra insurance.

The Haynes repair manual says to do the fluid change every 120k miles so you shouldn't have much worry about it being over due. Though the manual doesn't say anything about the fill hole you guys are showing.  It only refers to the one that Paul mentioned that your supposed to fill till it leaks out of.  The top one would be much easier to fill from though, especially for anyone with an aftermarket intake.  But thanks for the write up guys, I'll probably be doing this next weekend.  I'm sure it hasn't been done yet and I'm just over 60k.

Rushzer0

Reputation Power: 1
Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »

Ya when I picked up the trans fluid from Honda and asked him what the interval was he said and I quote "Ummm like a long time, he said about 100k" but when he saw the car he said "If you drive it hard more often then not, he personally suggests 60-70k"
accordguy04

Creeper

Reputation Power: 14
accordguy04 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »

Dude at my dealer said 30k... dick...  him not you.

-Ryan

Hello, My name is Ryan, and I can't spell Thein's name right when its clearly shows it in his username.
quickkick127

quickkick127 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »

I should have known that such an easy job would turn into a PITA.  Started this job an hour ago thinking it would only be a half an hour job and I still haven't even drained the old fluid yet.  I can't get the top fill bolt out of the tranny.  I can only put so much torque on it before I'm afraid my extension is gonna snap because it is twisting so much.  I'm soaking it with pb blaster now hoping that helps.

On a side note, I have no dealers within about a half hour drive so I didn't get the honda tranny fluid.  I went with royal purple synthetic 10w-40.  I know the manual says you can run either 10w-30 or 10w-40 but do you think it matters that I went to synthetic?

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »

I wouldn't run Royal Purple.  Since you're having trouble with the fill bolt, have the closest dealership order the fluid for you.  I've used 3/8" extensions and not broken them.  If you're really worried about it, use a 1/2" extension instead.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
accordguy04

Creeper

accordguy04 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 10:24:29 PM »

I wouldn't run Royal Purple.  Since you're having trouble with the fill bolt, have the closest dealership order the fluid for you.  I've used 3/8" extensions and not broken them.  If you're really worried about it, use a 1/2" extension instead.

... the hole on the filler cap is a 3/8... a 1/2 would be too big.

-Ryan

Hello, My name is Ryan, and I can't spell Thein's name right when its clearly shows it in his username.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »

... the hole on the filler cap is a 3/8... a 1/2 would be too big.
I'm pretty sure that he meant using a 1/2" drive set instead of 3/8" drive, not the size of the actual socket itself.

accordguy04

Creeper

accordguy04 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 10:30:37 PM »

You don't use a socket, You plug the cube at the end of the extension into the hole on the filler cap, therefore a 1/2 extension would be too big.

Edit: Unless he means a 1/2 extension with a 1/2 to 3/8 converter on the end...

-Ryan

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 10:56:17 PM »

Sorry, I keep forgetting that this is a J Series.  I'm used to K series transmissions.  The bolt for the filler and drain on my tranny use a 17mm socket.  Only the overflow uses the 3/8" drive.  Anyway, use the extension and breaker bar if you need to.  Honestly, it takes a bit of force to crack them loose.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:57:49 PM by timot_one » Logged

Tim
B.R.03EX

Reputation Power: 4
B.R.03EX pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 11:57:59 PM »

I had a lot of trouble breaking my filler bolt free as well. I ended up spraying some PB blaster and letting it soak for a good ten minutes then I used a breaker bar with an extension on it like Tim said and pushed as hard as I could until the bolt broke loose.

- Bobby
quickkick127

quickkick127 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »

I did end up getting it.  I went up to a half inch drive with a 3/8's adapter, a breaker bar and a three foot pipe.  It still took nearly all the force I could have applied.  I just didn't feel comfortable with putting that much torque on the bolt and housing.  For having around 65k miles on it, I could still partially see through the oil as it was draining.  I was surprised how good it looked.  One problem with the overflow hole is its diameter is too small.  I filled up till it started coming out...well it took about two hours to stop coming out of the hole.  It's so small that it wouldn't let the oil come out in a stream.  Instead one drip would come out at a time.  On a side note, I thought you guys said elsewhere that the 6speed trannys had factory magnetic drain plugs.  If we do, there was not a single spec of debris on mine, which I guess is a good thing.  I was just expecting to have something to clean up.

And of course, just like every other job recently, I snap the last bolt to put it.  That stupid 10mm overflow bolt just twisted the head right off.  It had to have been damaged ahead of time.  It came out without much pressure and when I went to put it back in, it barely snugged up before twisting off.  Now I have the threads stuck in the tranny and I really don't want to drill it out...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:42:14 PM by quickkick127 » Logged

Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012