Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:07:18 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo  (Read 5440 times)
Accord07
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
Accord07 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »

Im wanting to find out how much psi i can run on my k24A8 motor stock.
B.R.03EX

Reputation Power: 4
B.R.03EX pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »

You can run as much psi as you want. The real question is how long will the motor last until you break something. It really depends on how much you beat on the motor and how well you take care of it. A turbo setup will reduce the life of an engine so in the end, you might have to upgrade the internals anyway. I've heard of K20's with stock internals running 22psi but a.) that is a k20, not a k24a8 and b.) That was a full race set up which probably cost more than 6 or 7 grand. I've also heard of k24's run 8psi for a good 60,000 miles.

Search the Engine Performance section for the K-Series.

- Bobby
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »

K20a.org is a wealth of information with regards to this very topic. There's one guy that I know of putting down more than 500hp on a k24a4 on fully stock internals and been running like that for a couple of years. I wouldn't recommend that for a daily driver but you get the idea. Research is your friend.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »

Like everyone else has said, searching will be helpful.  At the same time, this is the type of topic that's suited for the Engine Performance forum and not the Stock Motors And Transmissions forum.  I'll go ahead and move it to the right place.

Realistically, if you want your motor to be reliable, I wouldn't go much past 14 psi.  It also depends on what kind of turbo you're planning on going with.  I've seen people with internally wastegated turbos have tons of problems because of boost creep.  I think you're probably going to want to spend most of your time researching turbos.  I would suggest that you consider what your power goals are going to be, then figure out your budget to make sure you can reach those goals and still have your car be reliable.

There's one guy that I know of putting down more than 500hp on a k24a4 on fully stock internals and been running like that for a couple of years.

Who the fuck is that?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:31:53 AM »

Well, here is my .02 on the topic based on my experiences.

If you want longevity the number one most important thing is TUNING. I have seen engines running only 5 psi blow in a week because they were not tunned properly and on the other side I have seen 15PSI setups on stock engines but with good tuning run for years. For the love of GOD you K series guys have one of the best tuning solutions avalible for ANY street vehicle with K-Pro, to not use it is assinine, granted it is not cheap, but the cost of a new engine is pretty damn close. The next thing is to teach yourself a bit of moderen engine management and what to look for to know if you are tunned well. Having the proper gauges in good visible locations to monitor what your engine is doing is key. Taking occasional logs of runs and anylizing them to make sure things are running right and yes tunes do change over time, injector clogging, O2 sensor drift as they age, map sensor diaphrams change, these and other mechanical factors do effect the data and will change the tune over time and need to be monitored and accounted for.

Now that being said the K24A4/8 are the weakest of the Ks with very thin cast rods, cast crank and pistons. The K variant will not take much detonation before blowing a rod or ringland. I personally would not want to run more than 10PSI on one if you want it to last and have wiggle room so that when there is a tuning issue you don't immediatly blow the engine. An A2 would be a much better option for boost whithout building the internals. 

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »

There's one guy that I know of putting down more than 500hp on a k24a4 on fully stock internals and been running like that for a couple of years.

Who the fuck is that?

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63867

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012