Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:43:18 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valve Cover Breathers  (Read 7565 times)
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
linguinipenguini pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:46:53 PM »

Can valve cover breather filters harm your engine? What are the benefits/disadvantages of them?
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »

I wouldn't use one.  Your valve cover has a breather line that goes to your intake to create a vacuum.  The smart thing to do is to get an air oil separator/catch can for that line from your valve cover to your intake.  That will keep your intake tract from oily deposits.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Rushzer0

Rushzer0 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:24:19 AM »

^He speaks the truth I spent about an hour reading about this exact topic on k20a.org last night, putting on a breather filter will only give moisture a possible way to enter the lubricating system and contaminate your oil, making it froth and such.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »

Translation: no bueno.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 11:15:22 AM »

Sometimes I know what I'm talking about.  When it comes to being a daily driver, you're better off with an air oil separator over the breather filter.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

linguinipenguini pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:18:07 PM »

Ah. I just installed a new intake and im having trouble with the vacuum hose that goes to the valve cover.my thought process was to put on a breather and seal off the connection on the intake pipe. If i did an oil change every 3-4K miles would this reduce the risk? Also, there is a 90 degree elbow that connected the old valve cover line to the intake. It also has two coolant lines attached to it. Is it okay to delete this elbow and directly connect the coolant to its port? I'm sorry i have no pictures, but if you know what im talking about  please reply!
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »

You can delete the coolant elbow.  I would not recommend that you use the breather filter on the valve cover though.  Again, there is supposed to be a vacuum from the intake on the valve cover.  It's really something that you should continue to use.  But go ahead and do whatever you like.

Tim
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

linguinipenguini pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »

I deleted the coolant elbow, but stuck with a vacuum line for the valve cover
si2accord
Fucking Newb

I love the K series

si2accord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 11:40:57 PM »

I have them on my car with no problem  Smiley

Current: 05 Accord 4dr k24 VitTuned
Past: 07 Civic Si 4dr VitTuned 220whp
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »

Since this thread was last posted in, I've actually made some changes on my motor set up. I have 2 additional -10 an ports on my valve cover and have the OEM breather and PCV deleted and all of these going to a vented catch can.

I doubt you'll see much benefit either way on a stock set up, but on a boosted or built motor it's better to have them vent to atmosphere with a catch can.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012