Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:59:56 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Only Battery Thread You Should Ever Post In  (Read 37483 times)
Moessteezy

Names Moe

Reputation Power: 2
Moessteezy pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2012, 04:50:20 AM »

You dont know what you dont know.
  :Smiley
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »

No.  That's an old school trick, and doesn't apply to our cars.  The best way to test your alternator is to get a digital multi meter and see if you're getting over 12.6 volts while your car is running, with all your electronic accessories turned off (stereo, headlights, hvac).  Your battery should be 12.6 volts when not running, and above 12.6 volts when your car is running to show that your alternator is charging your battery.

Do a search for alternator.

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
Moessteezy

Names Moe

Moessteezy pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »

I found out what my problem was my I wasnt getting a proper connection  to my battery. so i cleaned off the battery terminals with some water and baking soda. and sanded down the terminals. Havnt given me any problems since.

ok thanks for the info, well definitely use this if i have altenator problems in the future.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

For the record, you should be getting around 14 volts with your car running.  Paul had cleared that up in that thread.  I'm not really sure why people keep pulling the negative or positive battery terminals from their battery to test their alternators.  If you have half a brain and a multimeter you can test your alternator a lot faster.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Moessteezy

Names Moe

Moessteezy pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »

For the record, you should be getting around 14 volts with your car running.  Paul had cleared that up in that thread.  I'm not really sure why people keep pulling the negative or positive battery terminals from their battery to test their alternators.  If you have half a brain and a multimeter you can test your alternator a lot faster.

haha well i guess ill know for next time. thanks for the info.
booley
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
booley pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2013, 09:16:17 AM »

Well, the Optima's are still around... Are they really as crappy as you guys say?

Also, does anybody have any feedback on the Odyssey pc925? I know the 680 would be too small, but the 925 might work, yes or no??
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »

Well, the Optima's are still around... Are they really as crappy as you guys say?

Ever since the production plant moved from Aurora, CO to Mexico, yes.  The design changed when the production plant was moved; I believe it went from a 6-cell design to a 3-cell design.

- Mark
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »

Also, does anybody have any feedback on the Odyssey pc925? I know the 680 would be too small, but the 925 might work, yes or no??
Working part time in a parts store we get more optimas back than we do our store brand. We sell 10 store brand to 1 optima. The quality is really bad
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »

Mark and Mike are correct. While they are still around a a brand, Optima has cut corners with design and manufacturing. Only 3 of the cells are spiral cells now.

I would choose the Odyssey battery instead.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pascal

Reputation Power: 4
Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »

Appart from odyssey (expensive as hell but about the best) and optima (that now seems to be not that good for the price), what are other options in the middle class of batteries, something with a good amount of CCA (Canada winter) and still affortable. I've heard some good reviews on kirkland batteries but it's "only" 640 CCA for a group 35, I actualy have a 450 CCA group 51R carquest battery with some years on it, but it always was hard to crank on cold days. Would a "standard type" group 35 battery for around 100-150$ make a good difference over my actual 51R or paying almost 300$ for a optima really makes that much of a difference so it justifies the extra bucks ?

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2014, 01:06:09 AM »

Give the kirkland brand stuff a try if you want.  I was able to fit a 34/78 in my battery tray, so you can go bigger if you want to.  I went in the other direction this time though.  I wanted to save room and relocated my battery to the sub frame in front of the transmission, so I went with a small Braille battery.

Tim
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2014, 07:25:10 AM »

The kirkland group 34 is rated at 795 CCA, not bad ! it you say it fitted in the tray that could be a good choice. The average cost of them is 80$ and they have a awsome waranty. For the price, I don't have anything to lose !

ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2014, 07:29:59 AM »

I love my Optima yellow top.  I sit in my car everyday for my hour long lunch break and listen to the radio or ipod without the car running.  It always starts right up afterwards.  You can find them for under $200 if you look hard enough. 
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »

Having a optima, it would be a red top for their CCA rating

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »

I had a red top back in the day, it was a good battery and lasted for years. It's in my mom's Cadillac now. This was before they were shit though.

I can't remember if the 34/78 I had fit in the tray or not. I think I removed all the plastic crap and just had a rubber mat under the battery on the tray and the upper battery holder piece.

Tim
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012