Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:48:21 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Once again i need to diagnose my brakes  (Read 7212 times)
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:45:02 AM »

So last year i replaced my rear passenger side caliper because it kept sticking on me. I had a feeling it wasnt the issue
My issue is that my one caliper sticks and over heats. Causing premature wear and rust. But everytime my mechanics checked it moved freely. I replaced it anyways. Everything was fine for the first six months. I can tell when my brakes are acting up because i hear a zooming noise (vibration) from that one caliper and i get some brake fade... I dont know what to do. Its basically the only problem ive had with this car. I hate using my brakes cause it feels rough and sounds awful (mind you my discs are slotted, but when operating normally they are quite) Also that one disk will not scrap clean. But i checked the caliper and it moves freely
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:51:12 AM by fabulous010 » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:01:12 AM »

Did you replace just the caliper, or did you replace the caliper bracket and guide pins too?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »

I recently had to replace a 2yr old caliper because I didnt replace the mount and guide pins. You definitely want to replace everything and make sure the rubber section of the line going to that wheel is in good shape I.e. not soft because this may cause it to kink and not release. GL.

Rich
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »

The other thing is to make sure the guide pins move freely and are well lubricated.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »

I replaced the whole thing bracket and all.

Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »

Try replacing that rubber section of the line. I believe it's around $20.

Rich
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »

Have you flushed your brake fluid?  The shop said the current caliper on your car was good, right? 

Tim
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »

Ya it was fine after he greased the Pins again. I believe something is causing the caliper to malfunction. But all the other calipers work fine with minimal maitanence. This one caliper requires special attention even after replacing with a whole new one

InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:52:34 AM »

Maybe something is wrong with the brake line to that caliper. Do you know if brake fluid is flowing freely when it isn't connected to the caliper?

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 01:24:49 PM »

Where did you buy the caliper. I could be a Reman that didn't go so well I see these things come back into my store all the time.
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »

Maybe something is wrong with the brake line to that caliper. Do you know if brake fluid is flowing freely when it isn't connected to the caliper?
Thats what im thinking. Mechanics check the caliper and say its fine. I think some where down the line fluid isnt going through the lines to that caliper. I wasnt sure if a faulty master cylinder would do that. Woulndt a faulty master cylinder cause no pressure in all the brakes? Same thing with bad fluid, that it would affect all brakes?
How can i diagnose the line going to that brake? Also i noticed how clean that one rims stays, and how dirty caliper is

InFuMoUs

InFuMoUs pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »

I think if it was the master cylinder, it would affect all and not just one but I could be wrong about that. See if you can diconnect the brake line from the caliper and have someone press the brake and watch the flow of the fluid. You can follow the brake line under the car to the abs modulator. They're all close to each other underneath the car you can't miss it. Hopefully one of em isn't bent.

EliteCM Profile

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »

there is also a proportioning valve.
InFuMoUs

InFuMoUs pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »

Doh forgot about that. Well I guess we just gotta wait and see by process of elimination.

EliteCM Profile

fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 03:35:55 AM »

can a bad brake line cause caliper stuck-up?

-- Charles --

2005 Honda Accord 2.4L sedan
2011 Subaru STi sedan
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012