Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 02:35:22 PM
Poll
Question: Who hates cell companies' bullshit?
Me - 5 (33.3%)
This guy! - 7 (46.7%)
Who's got two thumbs? - 3 (20%)
I'm indifferent but they still suck - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 145 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell Phone Discussion  (Read 455062 times)
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:18 PM »

Well, Verizon made the galaxy s phone their own.. they added Bing and made it the only search option.  you can't even install google's search widget on it, and bing is the default GPS as well I believe..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/samsung-fascinate-review/  <-------That's a full review of the Fascinate done by engadget.com..
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/droid-2-review/    <---------There's the Droid 2 full review by engadget.com..

On engadget's scale (take it for what it is) they gave both phones a 6 out of 10.. take that with a grain of salt.. but their reviews have seemed to be pretty fair from my reading. other people would disagree with that though.

-brian
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 09, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »

My Moto Droid has worked well since I've had it.  I haven't really had any complaints, at least hardware wise.  Only two minor issues I have about the Droid 1.  My friend had his keyboard start to lift, but Verizon took care of that right away.  When I had my first Droid, after a month or so, the slider started having a little more play than I liked.  I was being nitpicky, especially for a slider phone.

I've heard of the Droid 2 having wireless issues, not sure if they fixed that yet.

One nitpicky complaint with the Samsung Fascinate right now is that Verizon defaulted search to Bing, instead of Google.  I haven't looked into it enough to see if there is a workaround.

- Mark
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »

The one thing that I do kinda like about the Droid 2 is that it has a real keyboard.  I'm not sure about that swype thing that the Samsung has, or the "virtual" keyboard.  As far as my useage, I want it to fucking work the way it's supposed to and not have stupid issues like I have been having with my last 10 phones.  I'm going to have to check out both phones later tonight after work, but the Droid 2 and Fascinate seem to be the 2 top contenders.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:17:35 PM by timot_one » Logged

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
b_beau_09

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2010, 04:16:27 PM »

Mark, I think the only way to get around bing would be to sideload google or root the phone. (which I've heard is easy on the galaxy s phones).. but your typical user doesn't want to do all that stuff..

-brian
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:58 PM »

It is very easy... Almost to easy in fact!
alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 09, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »

Mark, I think the only way to get around bing would be to sideload google or root the phone. (which I've heard is easy on the galaxy s phones).. but your typical user doesn't want to do all that stuff..
true..  the typical user won't want to go through all that, and the typical user probably won't care about which search engine they are using as long as they can search stuff..

i'm actually a pretty typical user when it comes to my phone now.  probably because i used to hack my blackberry so much.  i rooted my Droid with that one-click root app, had it rooted for about 20 minutes, saw that i needed a different rom to take advantage of overclocking, then unrooted it.  i may root it again just for wireless tethering.

- Mark
b_beau_09

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 09, 2010, 05:39:29 PM »

It is very easy... Almost to easy in fact!

it may be easy, but most people won't want to take the risk in bricking their phones they just paid a couple hundred bucks for.. or having the warranty voided.

-brian
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:38 PM »

Hey Jeremy, if you're looking for a case for your Droid X, grab this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330467063699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1766wt_911

I just got it to replace the carbon fiber case from Verizon that I originally had (the tabs are broken... it's a piece of shit). The case above is pretty neat. it's made out of TPU. It is glossy, so it'll leave fingerprints, but I don't really care. The all black is a real nice touch. The only downside is that it's hard to press the volume rocker, the lock/power button, and the camera button. I've read online that you can stick some tape on the inside of the case and it'll make it easier. I don't have any tape right now, but I'll let you know how it goes.

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: September 09, 2010, 08:58:33 PM »

The Droid 2 felt cheap and the keyboard was cumbersome and difficult to use.  My thumbs kept hitting the edge of the phone which basically killed it for me.  The Droid X was too big for my liking and both of the demos in the store were broken.  I'm concerned about the review I read about the Samsung Fascinate though, but it was my favorite one out of all the phones I tried out today.  Granted, I didn't stay in the store long, but I liked the Samsung the most.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: September 09, 2010, 09:16:45 PM »

do eeeettttt.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:36 PM »

Tim did they have the HTC Incredible in stock? It was a nice phone when I looked at it; It's basically the Droid X but on a smaller screen. However, I think that the Droid X feels a hell of a lot sturdier than the other smartphones I've seen.

alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 09, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »

The Droid 2 felt cheap and the keyboard was cumbersome and difficult to use.  My thumbs kept hitting the edge of the phone which basically killed it for me.  The Droid X was too big for my liking and both of the demos in the store were broken.  I'm concerned about the review I read about the Samsung Fascinate though, but it was my favorite one out of all the phones I tried out today.  Granted, I didn't stay in the store long, but I liked the Samsung the most.
Which review did you read? and what are your concerns?

I still have to read reviews on the Fascinate.

- Mark
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: September 09, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »

I love the T Mo version...
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: September 10, 2010, 12:18:43 AM »

The main thing that I got from the reviews about the Fascinate is that it's release was pushed and the phone seems to be buggy and incomplete.  Above all that though, I liked the Fascinate the most so far.  Something about the Motorola stuff just seems cheap and clunky to me.  The Droid X and Droid 2 are both phones that I know I would regret getting.  The Fascinate is the front runner for me right now, but I'm going to take a close look at the Incredible.

Tim
Tunergirl

Reputation Power: 2
Tunergirl pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 10, 2010, 06:40:34 AM »

The one thing that I do kinda like about the Droid 2 is that it has a real keyboard.  I'm not sure about that swype thing that the Samsung has, or the "virtual" keyboard.  As far as my useage, I want it to fucking work the way it's supposed to and not have stupid issues like I have been having with my last 10 phones.  I'm going to have to check out both phones later tonight after work, but the Droid 2 and Fascinate seem to be the 2 top contenders. 

THe only thing I see wrong with the Fascinate from my point of view is that it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard although there is a virtual one but my fingers are too fat for that. LOL

I was even going to go with the Incredible, although it seems to be a really decent phone same issue only a virtual qwerty keyboard. Thus why I am going with droid 2. My last Motorola sucked as well but I am going to give it a try. It has to be better than the POS env Touch I have now.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 145 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012