Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:55:59 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit DIY and review  (Read 5862 times)
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:51:47 AM »

Recently I've noticed the UV film on my retros had started to peel off and they were getting foggy looking, making them really look like crap.  I decided to try restoring them myself and so I bought the 3M headlight lens restoration kit.  The process was pretty easy and took about 60-90 minutes per headlight.  All you need is the kit, a corded drill, a couple microfiber towels, and a spray bottle filled with soapy water.  

Here are a couple before pictures of the headlights to show the peeling of the UV film.

Step 1:  Tape off the headlight

Step 2:  Connect backing plate to your drill

Step 3:  Attach the 500 grit pad to the drill and sand entire headlight.  

Step 4:  Attach the 800 grit pad to the drill and sand the entire headlight.

Step 5:  Attach the grey 3000 grit pad to the drill and sand the entire headlight.  This is when you have to start wet-sanding.  Using the spray bottle with the soapy water, keep the headlight and the pad wet.  (No after sanding pictures for this step, they turned out too blurry)

Step 6:  Attach the orange pad to the drill and put a dime sized drop of the 3M rubbing compound on the pad.  Use the pad to spread the rubbing compound over the headlight before starting the drill.  Use a microfiber towel to buff off the rubbing compound.  Keep buffing with the orange pad until headlights are nice and clear with no visible scratch marks.  

Final result:

Before and after comparison:

And a couple of bonus shots from after I washed the car:

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »

Great write up what was the cost of this product?
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 01:03:22 PM »

$10 on Amazon.  I'd suggest getting two kits though.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »

here is a link for anyone that might be looking for this product.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Headlight-Lens-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1277832746&sr=8-1
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 12:48:14 AM »

Great thread.  My headlights (Depo) have also been experiencing this peeling for a few years now.  However, I thought it was the "clearcoat" peeling, not so much a uv film.  Either way, did the kit help with getting rid of yellowing at all?  Also, since the kit technically removes the uv film, what do you have to do now to protect the lenses from the elements??

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:02 AM »

Most companies either include or reccomend the use of a sealant. http://www.detailedimage.com/Sealant-C15/
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »

I did not have any yellowing so I can't comment on that but it's supposed to remove yellowing as well.  I just clean them normally when I wash the car then I apply some of this to the headlights.

ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 08:59:29 AM »

However, I thought it was the "clearcoat" peeling, not so much a uv film. 

Same thing just different names. 
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 03:20:02 AM »

^ OK, makes sense, thanks.

nodrog321
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
nodrog321 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:44:10 PM »

hey, just picked up a kit from amazon. student prime, two day shipping ftw! anyways... i was wondering if there is another sealant you guys would recommend that i would be able to pick up at a store like autozone? autogeek suggested to use the wolfgang one but that thing comes out to like $23.. i see this turtle wax f21 spray at autozone, do you guys think that sealant is any good for the headlights? thanks!
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »

Autozone stuff is Junk.. Wolfgang is overkill...

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys-M31/M-Seal-Pure-Sealant-P182/16-oz-S1/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/EX-Sealant-w-Carnauba-P26/16-oz-S1/

My personal favorite is

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Opti-Seal-P279/8-oz-S1/
nodrog321
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
nodrog321 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »

thanks for the reply, but im also trying to avoid the high costs of shipping haha. and i know alot of the autozone stuff are bad but hopefully theres something that will be similar?

also it doesnt look like the products you listed protect against UV and whatnot.. was just wondering cause thats what the restoration kit takes off after you sand it right? my headlights arent peeling or anything, theyre just scratched and i was hoping the kit would make it look new (or close to it). if i dont need anything with UV protection, would a simple wax do it? (for ex. megs NXT 2.0? since thats what i have..)
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »

Sealant helps keep the water off. From what i've learned I'd invest in some of the quality products. They end up lasting alot longer.
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »

Well if you invest in a good sealant, you can use it on the car too...

I'm sure you cause use a cheap Autozone brand, but like always, you get what you pay for.

Here are the two I would recommend.  The first one is best if you plan to use the sealant on the car as well.  Coupon code EarlyLabor gets you 10% off and free shipping but ends today...

http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/EX-Sealant-w-Carnauba-P26/16-oz-S1/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/EX-P-Sealant-P27/16-oz-S1/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012