Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:49:04 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Cylinder Failure  (Read 17330 times)
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »

So, as I was leaving my neighborhood today, I noticed my brakes felt funny. I decided to keep going so I could get to a better road to test them. I got my speed up then eased on the brakes and they went to the floor and barely did anything. Now, if you ease on them they work, just not very well. It is drivable, but not safe. So, I parked it and I am driving a rx now. My Dad is going to take it to the mechanic, but I just kinda wanted to get an idea of maybe what is wrong. I checked the fluid and it is above low but not at high. Something that is weird though, is that if you slam on them, they work fine. I have no clue as to what is going on. I don't think it is pads because I figured that would have been a gradual thing but this was instant. Any ideas? Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:59:07 PM by Jeff » Logged

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
konatriathlon
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
konatriathlon pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »

It definitely sounds like a fluid issue.  You might have enough, but something is preventing the fluid from pressing the calipers together.

A brake system is very similar to a hydrolic system.  Just as a hydrolic system is dependent upon hydrolic fluid to work, so is a brake system dependent upon brake fluid to work.  You might have a hole in a line, a kinked line, or any number of things could go wrong between the fluid reservoir and the calipers.

The good news is your dad it taking it in tomorrow.  Don't waste any time diagnosing brake issues.  Probably the most important system on the car.

HARPER BELLE HANES
Born: 04/04/2008
5 lbs 2 oz
17 1/2 in

JASPER PARKE HANES
Born:  03/09/2010
6 lbs 15 oz
19 3/4 in
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »

I have a feeling it's something with your brake fluid also.  It could be air in the line, a leak in the line, or even a bad brake master cylinder.  Since your dad is taking your car to the mechanic, let them do whatever needs to be done.  The good thing is that you're safe Bill.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:39:37 PM »

Get it fixed right away! How many miles are on your car, and are you still using OEM pads and rotors?
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:51:16 AM »

Sounds like the master cylinder.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »

That shouldn't be too hard to fix then.  Swapping out a brake master cylinder is pretty easy actually.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »

I'm actually inclined to agree with Paul. I've seen master cylinders go out and cause exactly what it is you're describing Bill. The good thing is, your old man is taking it in to get fixed. As for his "disappointment" with your car, it has its age and things do happen. Its not like he bought you a new car so he can't expect it to behave as such.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »

The mechanic called me around 12:00 yesterday. They checked the entire braking system and everything was in good shape except the master cylinder. It was on its way out. So that is being replaced. There wasn't one in town, so I have to wait till Monday and keep driving the mom suv. The total bill was $407 for part, diagnoses, and labor. I'm not sure if that is high or not but it's too late if it is.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 04:37:56 PM »

I'm sure Paul will be waiting for his diagnosis fee. If he doesn't take it, I will for agreeing with him.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »

I am more than happy to pay you guys the diagnosis fee as long as the same rules apply. Diagnosis fee goes towards the bill.

Bill C.
SECM member
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »

Considering we're not the mechanics working on it and we're a whole other knowledge base, those rules don't apply. It's like taking it to one shop for diagnosis and having another shop do the work. In all seriousness, at least it's an easy fix.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »

It looks like Paul was right.  I did mention the brake master cylinder first, so I expect a cut.

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »

Damn. That's a three way diagnosis fee payment. Start coughing it up Bill.

NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »

Sounds like he took it hard enough up the ass with $400 repair bill........

New OEM master cylinder List $166, my cost $124, so my charge for this job would have been like $200, sorry.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 10:38:08 AM »

Wow, that does suck. Oh, well. It'll be fixed. Z, Tim, and Paul, checks are in the mail.

Bill C.
SECM member
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012